Forums

11 days with model 3. First time tesla owner.

11 days with model 3. First time tesla owner.

Got my MSM Model 3 with aeros on the 12th. I follow tesla pretty religiously, but I had a few surprises both good and bad.

Good

Seats are super soft and more comfortable than I expected. But I do wish they were ventilated.

The maps and the UI are underrated. Google maps is a GREAT experience. Farrr better than anything else I’ve used. I’ve recently owned a 2016 mustang GT, 2014 Dodge Ram, 2014 is350, 2012 Camaro and 2011 550i. None of them remotely compare to the model 3.

Sound system is very good. Not only that, but I hateeeee cars where everything rattles when you crank up the volume. This is not one of those cars. The mustang and Camaro definitely were.

One of my favorite features is the auto opening garage door when you arrive home or leave for the day. It’s small, but I really like it.

The not so good

Phone key isn’t as reliable as I hoped. For whatever reason, every morning I have to go and reopen the tesla app and wait about 5 seconds for it to connect. Minor inconvenience.

Really don’t like that you can’t navigate iPhone music (songs, playlists, artists, etc) through the car touch screen. I feel that this is VERY basic functionality and every car above that I mentioned has had this functionality. Even the aftermarket head unit I had in my 2003 Tahoe (in 2006) had this functionality. Hopefully they add this in a future update, but I guess I’m not holding my breath since they haven’t added it to the other models.

Since I got the car, I’ve done 2 aftermarket upgrades. Full front SunTek Ultra clear bra to protect from rock chips etc. That turned out perfect. On Monday I got Huper Optik Drei tiny installed on side windows and full rear glass. Chose this film because it supposedly blocks 70% of all solar energy. I’m honestly not a big fan of the look. It’s reflective and a little too light for my tastes (only 35% vlt). Also the installed did a pretty bad job in my opinion (tons of dirt). Gonna give him a chance to fix it first before I mention the name.

If anyone has any other questions I’ll do my best to answer. Overall very happy with the car :)

kuhns1 | 2018年5月23日

Have you had problems with wind noise, braking, and dashboard rattles?

BrickHouse | 2018年5月23日

Apple CarPlay or Android Auto are not supported by Tesla, so you cannot navigate iPhone music.

MarylandS85 | 2018年5月23日

@kuhns1
I’ve been driving a Model 3 for almost 2 months now, and I’ve had none of those 3 things.

rgrant | 2018年5月23日

@BrickHouse, bluetooth pairing doesn’t make playlists available?

saxman | 2018年5月23日

You have some interesting cars you're coming from. I've owned some enthusiast cars myself and got rid of my last fun, manual car a couple years ago to just get a fuel sipping beater for commuting. I drove a neighbors manual after fixing the suspension for them a couple months ago and it really made me crave having a manual again. You can probably guess my question.

Did any of your previous cars have manual transmissions and do you miss those cars and the spirited driving that came with them?

My gut tells me one more manual before I go electric and never look back. I've driven an S and experienced ludicrous mode. Awesome? Yes! Something was just lacking with the car in general. All I could think was amazing commuter car, but a fairly souless driving experience outside of the acceleration. I used to care mainly about acceleration. Now I want the whole package. Acceleration, handling, the manual transmission connection, the sound... Everything! Or maybe I don't really want all that.

Convince me! :)

How old are you if you don't mind. I'm 39.

ravisundaramam | 2018年5月23日

"Now I want the whole package. Acceleration, handling, the manual transmission connection, the sound... "

Amazing free market will fill each need. There is a company that will feed realistic engine sounds to your sound system that responds to throttle input, speed and acceleration. Targeted for the electric cars.

AzAmpEtr | 2018年5月23日

@kuhns1 no dashboard rattles. Wind noise isn’t significant at all. I’d say it’s as quieter or quieter than all of the other cars I mentioned. Almost never use the brakes due to regenerative braking (only when slowing from 5mph to 0). Haven’t tried braking simulating an emergency stop as I would be a little concerned about warping the rotors.

@BrickHouse I’m not even asking for Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. I don’t even like apple car play all that much really. Just want the ability to browse the playlists, songs, artists, etc. This is a more simple integration and like I said is standard in pretty much every single car since 2013 or earlier?

@saxman My most recent car was the 2016 Mustang GT which was lowered and LOUDDDD (that had a harsh suspension) and it was also manual. Only owned it from about December until I picked up the model 3 and it was my daily driver. It was my first manual and although I would consider myself a pretty decent driver, I was far from an expert (could never pull off toe heel shifting :/ ). I don’t miss it at all. Maybe mostly because it was my daily driver. Just a lot of work and attention to get around. I MUCHHHH prefer the model 3. Mustang was a rattle box and sync 3 is a complete joke. Mustang was also very cheap inside even though it was the “premium” car with almost every available option.

And I’m 27

AzAmpEtr | 2018年5月23日

Also forgot to mention that I from my very limited observations so far, the huper optik drei film seems to make a dramatic improvement to heat soak in AZ heat. When my car was sitting outside of the clear bra shop a week or so ago, I looked at the app and it said the interior temp was 164 degrees!!! That day the weather says the high was 97 and sunny. The installer even commented when I came to pick the car up that it was insanely hot inside when they got in to move it...

Since I had the tint installed (Monday), the highest temp I’ve seen on the app is 114 and it was 100 outside today and sunny. Car sat from 7am to 2:30pm in direct sunlight until I left work. Maybe it’s just some sort of coincidence, but it seems to be working great. Just wish it looked better.

My final comment is that I loveeeee regenerative braking. Let 2 others drive it who also said they think the feature is great. No brake use, more range, and easier driving. Win win win :)

saxman | 2018年5月23日

Thanks for the quick answers! I think where you live makes a huge difference in love or lack of love for manual transmissions. Many lose interest after fighting them for years in large city, commuter traffic. I live in a smaller city, and driving manual daily doesn't bother me. I have maybe a 15-25 minute commute one way depending on traffic.

Talk about totally different spectrums, but I'm seriously down to either choosing a GT350 or a Model 3 with AWD (non performance).

MarylandS85 | 2018年5月23日

@saxman
For what it’s worth, I drove only manual transmissions in ICE cars before getting the Model 3. I’m glad you got to experience the acceleration in the Model S, but the Model 3 does handle better. More importantly, beyond the performance, consider the pros and cons of an EV against ICE. If you have the option to charge at home, I think almost everyone would prefer an EV. You can probably guess how much you’d enjoy the GT350. If you’re on the fence about Model S, consider renting one on Turo for a day or two to try it out. Or maybe an owner on here will let you see his/hers if you ask nicely.

MarylandS85 | 2018年5月23日

To add to my first sentence above, I don’t miss manuals now that I drive a Tesla.

And that should read “on the fence about Model 3...”

AzAmpEtr | 2018年5月23日

@saxman Yea i think the gt350 is a pretty sweet car. And you definitely can’t beat the sound of a mustang. Completely different spectrums. Mustang is very loud and attention getting. Tesla is much more classy imo. If you are going to have 2 cars and only drive the mustang as a weekend car, I’d probably say go that way. But for a daily driver I’d definitely choose the tesla. I think you’ll get bored of the mustang. In az, the tesla also saves a lot on registration, gas, and the federal tax credit. Also the warranty is muchhhhh better with the tesla. And the car will get better over time.

pranfire | 2018年5月23日

the cars with the biggest engines i had were v6s. nothing bigger. i despise gas guzzlers

pranfire | 2018年5月23日

regardless of how fun they are

saxman | 2018年5月23日

@AzAmpEtr - I think it's great you are embracing the EV revolution. You sound a lot like me. You've owned many different vehicles and aren't a fanboy of any particular brand or type of car. For true enthusiasts, I think it comes down to finding a car that excites the soul. I'm all for electric and can see and appreciate all the benefits. As a true enthusiast, I appreciate classics, tuners, and electric.

While I'm all for reducing humans' negative effects on the environment. I'm also realistic about it too. I once watched a counterpoint documentary to An Inconvenient Truth in a college class. What stood out to me is the stat about volcanos emitting insanely larger amounts of CO2 than humans ever would. Plants also need CO2, something people forget. I don't say this to stir anything up. I'm just saying I believe balance is important. I think Elon has a great vision with Tesla and don't discount what he's doing and how he's impacting the ICE industry.

I didn't mean to get off on a tangent. It's awesome we have many choices in our vehicles. Whether it be for fun, pleasure, or being greener, there is a vehicle for everyone.

Daveinoaktown | 2018年5月23日

@saxman yes off track but could not let the volcano comment pass:
“According to the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), the world’s volcanoes, both on land and undersea, generate about 200 million tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) annually, while our automotive and industrial activities cause some 24 billion tons of CO2 emissions every year worldwide. Despite the arguments to the contrary, the facts speak for themselves: Greenhouse gas emissions from volcanoes comprise less than one percent of those generated by today’s human endeavors.”

Source: USGS via https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/earthtalks-volcanoes-or-humans/