Forums

Water leaking into the car

Water leaking into the car

I just taken the car out of the car wash (brushless), and noticed a small puddle of water on the passenger floor mat. Upon closer inspection its leaking from underneath of glove compartment. I ran ac at max to made sure its not a condensation issue and its definately a leak from the outside. I also notice a gap between the seal and my front glass at the bottom.

Taking it in to service center for check up. Had any one notice an issue with this on their car so far? The service guy told me over the phone that car wash can damage my Tesla due to high water pressure and its only recommend to hand wash.

deezeela | 2018年6月18日

damn, just so many issues....

Alex_SD | 2018年6月18日

What now??
We cannot take the car through car wash?
That’s a new one!

RedTeslaModel3 | 2018年6月18日

I wouldnt had notice this if i didnt have my all weather mat. I notice last time the meather mat has some dried out soap and didnt know why. Keep an eye out next time you guys wash your car. Im not gere to complain but to raise awareness.

Lonestar10_1999 | 2018年6月18日

If this were true then I would expect a warning about car washes in the user manual or some other official communication from Tesla. Sounds like your M3 needs servicing to calk up what’s leaking. This should be covered as a warranty repair.

deezeela | 2018年6月18日

pay attendtion to a piece of glass / plastic part on the upper right charging door when flips up, seems like it was glued on, once it falls, it won't charge.

https://youtu.be/EKPsI7B4NY0

ravisundaramam | 2018年6月18日

I thought brushless car wash was kosher for Tesla. Anyway it has not happened to me. I even had the the "Royal Spa Treatment with Triple Color Foam".

RadOne | 2018年6月18日

@deezla. Agreed. Always seem to be reading about another new issue.

Only hand wash? What about in the cold months/winter? Ridiculous already.

santadam | 2018年6月18日

Hand washed mine the other day and water got in around the windows. Not a lot but enough to have me concerned when I drive in solid rain. Quite a bit of water had pooled under the hood around the frunk but none actually got into the frunk. May need to have a 'Ranger' come out and look at the door seals!?

carlgo2 | 2018年6月18日

Most cars have cowl drain hoses that are routed down the front hinge pillars. I have found some stuck shut. Pour some water into the right cowl area and see if it comes out the bottom of the car. There is usually a bit of hose showing out the bottom of the car and some have a little flap on the end. Not at all sure if Teslas have this design.

Triple color foam is very popular in CA, CO, WA...

RedTeslaModel3 | 2018年6月20日

Got my car back and service center couldnt reproduce problem. Next time any one going through a brushless car wash, touch underneath of glove compartment to check for water leak. If we dont pay attention we’ll have a mold issue in our car. I’ll find out in another week or two.

Frank99 | 2018年6月20日

>>> its only recommend to hand wash.
Sounds like ski boat makers. These days they recommend that you don't store your boat in the water, and won't warranty any gelcoat issues caused by doing so.
A boat...can't be in the water. Amazing.

shoffman14 | 2018年10月22日

Yep, went through a touchless wash with my P3D on Saturday. I accelerated hard out of the parking lot and a waterfall of soapy water came steaming into the passenger footwell from behind the glovebox! Soaked my girlfriend’s feet. Unbelievable.

jlebens | 2018年11月21日

Our preferred car wash consistently causes water leaks into the passenger footwell. Approx 1 cup can accumulate on our all weather mats. It doesn’t start flowing in until the brush and wash cycle is finished and the high pressure air dry starts. At another similar wash, we see no leaks at all. This will be our first warranty issue. I’ll bet they know exactly the cause. Hand wash only is not an acceptable solution. This ought to be a recall issue.

RedTeslaModel3 | 2018年11月21日

Im so glad you guys bump this thread. Tesla found the issue today and has already resolved this.

Technicians found water ingress from HVAC airduct. Technician secured the air duct and water tested the vehicle. No ingress found.

They also moved both of my front side glasses which fix wind boise problems. The issue was glasses were place too far back which created a small gap for air to get through. Just picked up my car 2 hrs ago.

They readjust what they called within spec

Stage 1 | 2018年12月4日

I have to say I’m a bit shocked. I’ve never owned a car where water leaked into the car. I can confirm this exact issue. I went to a touchless car wash and afterwards I accelerated quickly and a substantial amount to water poured from behind my glovebox onto the floor mat. Very disappointing. I have an october p3d.

I have a service visit in a couple weeks. Any advice on what I should be telling them to fix?

mb1068 | 2018年12月4日

Ahh.. leaks ... you clearly haven't owned a British Car then ! I used to have to put the umbrella up inside my triumph spitfire when it rained, the good news was that there were enough holes in the floor for the water to drain right out. Land Rover sunroof drains are known to have issues than cause water to pour down the A-Pillar and out of the bottom of the glove box - corroding the wiring loom in the sills over time. Had to get out my soldering iron and find the coroded splice one time - to get the power seats and mirrors to work again !

Yeah - if plastic cowl is not sealing to glass well, or doesn't drain well, you could also get such issues.

me | 2019年1月21日

My car has been wet inside after rains...cannot find where it is leaking... very frustrating

lbowroom | 2019年1月21日

What part of the interior is wet?

sameer1302 | 2019年4月1日

@RedTeslaModel3 how long did they need to fix this? Having exact same issue, just booked service

RedTeslaModel3 | 2019年4月1日

I had leak to passenger’s floormat. If i didnt have a rubber mat, i would had never realize. The root cause was the HvAC airduct wasnt sealed. It has been a long time so i’m not 100% on the timing but I think took about 3-4 days. They spent a day taking my car to car wash and high way driving. Detected water leaked and noise coming through side windows.

Took 2 visits before they pinpointed the problem.

jeromeleclerc | 2019年4月17日

Did the tesla solve your water problem under the glove box? I have exactly the same problem with my model 3 performance.

stevehimself | 2019年4月21日

This happened to my Model 3 today. I got my car in September and normally wash the car myself. I took it to a hand wash today and noticed water dripping when I got in the car. Never seen this before.

blewett22.3 | 2019年4月22日

I notice last time the meather mat has some dried out soap and didnt know why. Keep an eye out next time you guys wash your car. Im not gere to complain but to raise awareness. https://www.mykfcexperience.vip/

jhunt | 2019年5月20日

I have a Tesla 2018 S 100 that was outside overnight in the rain. The next morning i noticed puddles of water on the passenger side floorboard. The water was coming from behind the glove compartment. The window was fully closed as was the door. You could clearly see the water dripping down from behind the dash. The car is 5 months old. Tesla service said they could not recreate it. Seriously not ok for a brand new luxury car. Does anyone have a known fix for this?

anna.aggarwal | 2019年5月20日

I have noticed puddles inside my trunk on 3 occasions on days it is raining.

coldsun | 2019年8月15日

Had the same issue on my model 3, water inside cabin on Passenger side during carwash. Took the car in for service twice. Second time it said the engineering identified issue was from HVAC in-let, but they don't have parts available at this moment and provided no ETA. Need to schedule a 3rd appointment later. Not very happy.

coolesnce | 2019年8月15日

@Coldsun had the same issue 2 months ago. I have yet to schedule a appointment since im traveling for work, but I will let them know about HVAC in-let to give the service techs a good starting point.

Tyerc | 2019年8月15日

I’ve done both hand wash and automated wash, no problems.

Halbach | 2019年8月15日

I've read elsewhere that it is the high power dryers at car washes that is blowing the water into the system...ordinarily water will drain through the air intake but it won't drain properly with the high pressure air blowing.

creativeguy | 2019年8月15日

There are 3 easy rules for taking care of your tesla. No bright light. Don’t get it wet. Don’t feed it after midnight.

franky.argo55 | 2019年8月26日

I have just experienced the same thing , does anyone have any experience on having it resolved ? Do they seal it ? What about the water damage inside ?

ForkLiter | 2019年9月1日

There is a technical fix for this from Tesla. I have a September appointment for the fix. A “dam” will be inserted in the air intake duct. That duct is visible from the frunk if you unsnap a piece of cowling. I saw the repair instructions on the mobile techs iPad along with the part. Will it work? We will see. In the mean time you could try leaving the system on recirculate during wash but I still got water later that day. Also we think it’s more about the drying blower force than the water force. But still water is trapped somewhere. Hard acceleration will also bring that water in. I’ll be able to test after the part is installed since I can replicate the issue. 2nd time Tesla technician was with me.

coolesnce | 2019年10月23日

@ForkLiter How did the fix work out? I'm having the same issue.

coolesnce | 2019年10月24日

I just brought my Model 3 in for service for this along with range dropping to be looked at. The advisors couldn't find any bulletin, or reference to this fix. They mentioned because I changed my foot well light color to a non white bulb ( considered aftermarket upgrade) that the water ingress may not be covered under warranty, which I find that hard to believe it would void a water ingress situation. If anyone has any bulletin number that I can provide to Tesla to reference that would be greatly appreciated.

leoc722 | 2020年2月12日

is there a service bulletin out for this? I don't ever wash my car, but I'd assume this is a design flaw for older model 3s? my vehicle was built in June 2018.

AWDTesla | 2020年2月12日

Dont think so. Mine did the something similar but was the seals around the taillights letting water into the trunk lid.

petros2k7 | 2020年2月19日

I have experienced this issue 2 weeks ago.. I brought the vehicle in last week and I thought they fixed it as they told me they had.. I went again to the same touchless carwash and it is worse now. Water has entered the cowl and the fan motor is making a whirring sound. I took some video footage and you can see all the suds inside at the bottom of the cowl and water flying as I had the fan running at full to dry the carpet on the passenger side. I sent an email to service approximately an hour after it happened and waiting for a response. I sent them a video link showing the water damage inside on the passenger side (about a liter in volume) and the fan blowing the water under the frunk. In my 32 years of owning all kinds of vehicles I have never experienced this. I am curious to see what the excuse is now. I am requesting a carpet change, fan motor change and anything else the water and soap touched to be changed. I also experienced my braking not working as I exited the carwash. when I pulled over in the service center parking lot, I almost went through the concrete pedestal barrier. This is unacceptable. My Model 3 was built in first week of September 2019. I wonder if Elon purchased his mansion and it had leaks, if he would accept it? I will follow up and update here once I make contact with service center.

petros2k7 | 2020年2月21日

Service center reached out to me and saw the videos. I will be bringing the vehicle in on Monday. They did tell me not to use the high pressure touchless carwashes. Will update everyone after Monday's visit.

petros2k7 | 2020年2月25日

Okay everyone, I picked up my vehicle today and I must say the service was fabulous. They installed an upgraded duct cowl and the tech explained everything they did in detail. I have come to the conclusion that the carwash I went to (Husky at Mississauga Rd and Steeles Ave has a double blaster as opposed to Esso or Shell for their touchless setups. I went to Esso after receiving the vehicle and then took a look at the cowl and noticed a significant difference where it was almost completely dry. For anyone else having the same issue, I suggest you contact Tesla about the upgrade and avoid touchless carwashes with the 2 blaster arms. Hope this info helps.

vmulla | 2020年2月25日

@petros2k7,
Nice!
But what was the problem with the vehicle? How is the upgraded duct cowl different from the original that you had?
How did the type of car wash affect the problem? Is there any additional info you can share about kinds of car washes to avoid?
Thanks

petros2k7 | 2020年2月29日

@vmulla, The car wash I was going to had to blaster arms as opposed to one at the other brands. The upgraded cowl has about an inch lip higher from the bottom and the width is a little smaller and it sits ridgid as opposed to be loose and moving. The tech explained that the movement allowed the high pressure to move the water into the cabin. If I could post a pic I would but this site doesn't have that option. Hope this helps, cheers.

FISHEV | 2020年3月1日

Tesla recommends the high pressure washes which push water where it does not belong. The "wash" is more a stress test than a car cleaning. Probably something all owners should do before the car is out of warranty to find the leaks the high pressure will reveal.

The other problem with the high pressure washes is they just don't clean the dirt off the car so that layer of fine dirt then gets rubbed like sandpaper on the finish.

With the history of paint issues with Tesla https://www.thedrive.com/tech/29257/finnish-tesla-model-3-inspection-rev... the recommendation of the high pressure wash looks to be a defensive measure by Tesla.

The leaks in trunk, frunk and elsewhere along with the rocker cover issue https://electrek.co/2019/11/20/tesla-free-protection-kit-mud-flaps-winte... for which Tesla is offering mudflaps. I did the mudflaps and had PPF installed on the rockers up about two inches. Adding to the full nose PPF I already had.

Since Tesla knows the cowl will let in water if owner follows Tesla recommendation on touchless washes, you'd think there would be a recall to fix all the cowls vs. waiting for unsuspecting owners to find it.

andy.connor.e | 2020年3月1日

"An automaker or the NHTSA will issue a recall if it determines that the car, vehicle equipment or tires pose a safety risk or don't meet safety standards."

FISHEV | 2020年3月1日

"An automaker or the NHTSA will issue a recall if it determines that the car, vehicle equipment or tires pose a safety risk or don't meet safety standards."

The consumer protections by NHSTA (and all safety commisions) have been considerably watered down by decades of attacks by industry via lobbying.

Look at the issue with poor paint and rocker covers, definitively shown to be a problem by independent government study to the point Tesla is offering free mudflaps to Canadians (no one else which is bizarre) for the problem with poor paint and design on the rocker covers.

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/29257/finnish-tesla-model-3-inspection-rev...

Still nothing from NHSTA.

Good example of needing much stronger consumer protections in area of car mfg.

sshivaram | 2020年3月14日

Thanks for posting this. I have the exact same issue - water under the glovebox dripping onto the passenger side floormat.

petros2k7 | 2020年3月26日

@vmulla You can see the difference of the cowls here;

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AoL2j74giSZScrmvLeXcOEvgqAE

vmulla | 2020年3月26日

@petros2k7,
Thank you for the excellent post.

skylanorah12 | 2020年5月5日

Some of the most common causes of a water leak are the exhaust, the cooling system, and the windscreen washer system. If you see a clear and odorless fluid under your car, then it's possibly just water from your car's AC system. The air conditioning system of your car is the most common source of water leak https://www.mykfcexperience.xyz/