Forums

Vote of support for Apple CarPlay in Teslas

Vote of support for Apple CarPlay in Teslas

Just wanted to chime in here and say that Apple CarPlay would be a tremendous addition to my Model S. (Or, if for some reason it's not possible to add, I hope Tesla would consider its inclusion in new models.)

My phone is the center of my life, and it's so much more convenient to have the car honor that (as my wife's Honda does.) Not to mention that I have found Apple Maps' routing to be significantly better than that in even Tesla's newest Maps upgrade.

My Model S is the best car I've ever owned, hands-down. But CarPlay is convenient enough that I likely wouldn't buy another Tesla unless it supported it.

SCCRENDO | 2018年7月24日

I vote no

SO | 2018年7月24日

No

lilbean | 2018年7月24日

No

shank15217 | 2018年7月24日

Sorry, disagree. If your make or break reason for owning a Tesla is Apple car play go buy another car.

EmperorTytus | 2018年7月24日

I would like support for Apple CarPlay.

carlk | 2018年7月24日

I vote no but I'd vote yes for Tesla to give everyone a new Roadster for free.

lilbean | 2018年7月25日

I sincerely hope your phone is not the center of your life.

ulrichard | 2018年7月25日

@carlk +1 :-)

mjkamdar | 2018年7月25日

+1

bp | 2018年7月25日

Musk promised improved smartphone integration/screen mirroring support several years ago, though it might not be using Apple CarPlay and AndroidAuto (the combination other manufacturers are using).

As other manufacturers start introducing competitive long range EVs and they come up with a long distance charging solution, Tesla will likely be forced to compete more on features - and when that happens unless Tesla has done something to improve smartphone integration, they could risk sales.

We haven't heard anything from Tesla for a while about smartphone integration, other than vague promises on media player improvements.

Maybe they'll surprise us with this in the Version 9 release - which has taken a year longer than what Tesla has typically spent between major releases...

grins.va | 2018年7月25日

No, thanks.

Mike83 | 2018年7月25日

No

reed_lewis | 2018年7月25日

I say give the option to use it if they want, but do not force it. Not everyone wants it, like not everyone listens to AM radio. But Tesla should have the ability to support Car play.

I would like the ability to trigger Siri from the steering wheel. Using the 'Hey Siri' method is very flaky because the phone's microphone (which is on the bottom of the phone when it is sitting in the center cradle) is not pointing towards you.

I can also reach down and find the button on the side of the phone (I have an iPhone X), but that is not as convenient as just pressing the button on the steering wheel.

Baywood | 2018年7月25日

I need Apple CaPlay...
I rely on my my mfi (made for iPhone) hearing aids. They allow me to clearly hear phone calls, music/audiobooks, navigation guidance, ... and they isolate surrounding noise, which are annoying in a car.
I’ve tried Bluetooth connections in our cars, they are nowhere as useful.
So, for us hard of hearing using mfi, iPhones are not a choice, they’re necessary.

blacktape242 | 2018年7月25日

hard pass

S75RedRidingHood | 2018年7月25日

This is not a vote but rather a comment. I would love to see Tesla to support Apple Car and/or Android Auto however I do not expect this to happen at all. Tesla just does not have talents to add these features into their hardware and software. Just look at the current mess of the map and navigation system on the Tesla: traffic condition layer is always green at certain zoom level, map auto zoom base on location instead of speed (notice when you are on the interchange or overpass, map zoom in and out madly because it think you are on surface road instead of highway)

I only drive with my Google map/navigation. It is sad because otherwise, my Model S is the best driving machine.

DTsea | 2018年7月25日

tesla is not interested.... or actively opposed.

TeslaTap.com | 2018年7月25日

For those that want to seem what the features and problems are with CarPlay on Tesla: https://teslatap.com/articles/carplay-on-tesla/

EVRider | 2018年7月25日

If Tesla wanted to support Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, they would already be implemented. As TeslaTap's article says, there are lots of reasons why Tesla might not want to support them.

@S75RedRidingHood: Do you really think Tesla can design the control software for the car you're willing to drive, but they're incapable of implementing CarPlay support? If you have that little confidence in their abilities, maybe you should be driving something else. :-)

S75RedRidingHood | 2018年7月25日

@EVRider Tesla can make great EV but that does not mean they are good at everything.
Have anyone here ever use the browser on the Tesla? It can not render its own Tesla.com web site for heaven sake!!! And you think a group of engineer who can not build a decent browser can actually build an Apple Car display system? I doubt it.

EVRider | 2018年7月25日

It’s not that Tesla can’t build it, it’s just that it isn’t a priority for them. The browser might be crappy, but the rest of the UI is nicely designed. If Tesla thought the browser was important, Model 3 would have one already. If Tesla thought CarPlay was important, we would have it already.

Tropopause | 2018年7月25日

No!

carlk | 2018年7月25日

Ford has CarPlay. Volvo too has CarPlay. Ford and Volvo's infotainment systems look and work exactly the same. Ford will never be better than Volvo and Volvo will never be better than Ford. Tesla absolutely has no interest to put itself into this lame group.

lilbean | 2018年7月25日

Exactly!

bp | 2018年7月26日

If Tesla provides screen mirroring, it would need to support both Apple and Android devices, which is why other manufacturers are supporting both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

Though it's more likely Tesla would go for a custom/3rd party solution, like they've done with the new navigation software than being constrained by the Apple and Android solutions.

It's obvious this is a gap in Tesla's functionality. And now that they've got the Model 3 software implemented and working at a level comparable to S/X, would not be surprised to see this included in an upcoming software release.

carlk | 2018年7月26日

@bp Totally agree. Tesla always wanted to be a vertically integrated company. It will not want to have a very important feature in the car to be relying on a third party. Apple and Google is not just trying to be nice to auto companies and providing services to them. They want to use it as a platform to get into the auto market and take control. Other auto companies may not have a choice but Tesla is too advanced a tech company to allow that to happen. Also Tesla has the ambition of becoming an as big or even bigger company than Apple or Google. It's entirely possible that Tesla wants to start with the in car infotainment system and then expand it to other markets, the opposite of what Apple and Google are doing. There have been rumors that Tesla was negotiating with record labels of copyrights. At least it is thinking of starting it's own music services. It's not all that inconceivable. In a couple years Tesla will have more owners than Slackers has subscribers.

As for people who have hard time to live without their iPhone all the time choices are either try the best to adapt or to buy a different car.

TeslaTap.com | 2018年7月26日

It will be interesting if Apple releases a car, how all the car makers that bought into CarPlay will react. Giving over a huge part of the vehicle's control and user interaction to a direct competitor may have automakers dropping CarPlay like a hot potato.

Then if someone gets killed using CarPlay and the family wins a huge settlement, what if Apple kills CarPlay. Ok, Apple has very deep pockets, but they could feel the risks are not worth it and just kill it, leaving automakers in the lurch.

Then there is the security vector. Every app is a potential entry point to cause all sorts of mischief. We already know automakers, other than Tesla, haven't even thought about software security, so adding a huge layer of software that they don't even get to look at the source is scary.

Seems like lots of risks for automakers for very little benefit. Then again automakers seem to think nothing of software, security or where all of it is going.

Note that I'm not saying CarPlay isn't a value, but it also comes with a lot of risks that seem to be ignored in the rush to add another feature. I'd trust Tesla a lot more to add CarPlay in a safe and secure way than any other automaker, but that takes a lot of effort and careful design and still has marketing/legal risks.

rxlawdude | 2018年7月26日

Unless Tesla has a platform-agnostic approach to smartphone integration, no way!

dave | 2018年7月28日

Well most of the reasons for not supporting it seem a bit silly really. Licence costs aren’t an issue. Ceding control of the car is a bit OTT, it just gives a better interface to the already attached by Bluetooth phone. Reading, and dictating of SMS/text is awesome. Choice of map providers is useful. Access to existing music is easier. Siri, podcasts, all useful.

I just can’t see why people would say no. I don’t object to glove boxes because I have no gloves, or vanity mirrors because I have no hair.

I have it on a Skoda and it also has Bluetooth, the Apple car play interface is way better than the Bluetooth connection. I don’t have an Android phone but integration of their car app would also be useful.

VicF | 2018年7月28日

Integration for valuable in car items, hear text, etc. should absolutely be included in a technology-driven car. I don't care if it is phone vendors UI or via API's but should be much better.

typeof | 2018年8月20日

If they have time to make Easter eggs and Christmas mode, they have time to implement Android Auto. I want Waze on the screen! It's a matter of will.

john | 2018年8月22日

no

kcheng | 2018年8月22日

Would be interesting to see these votes, with some context. Have these people used CarPlay? Do they have it in another vehicle? Would they like AA? What phone do they use?

I mean who doesn't want the choice or option to use CarPlay or AA?

TeslaTap.com | 2018年8月22日

I've used CP & AA in several cars and came away a bit disappointed although not awful. Seemed clunky and designed for a tiny screen similar to a phone. It looks like both CP and AA are providing good excuse for car makers to avoid moving the typical UI from terrible to tolerable. While I do like options, I worry if Tesla goes with CP and AA, they will abandon the excellent interface they've already created. Not to say Tesla can't be improved, but I'm hard pressed to even think of another car that comes close. Clearly there are a few apps CP/AA offer that would be nice, but more than 99% of the apps on either the iOS/Android platforms are not available under CP/AA anyway.

RedPillSucks | 2018年8月23日

Unfortunately, right now Tesla has nothing to fill that space. It would be nice if they at least offered the option of Car Play or Apple Auto for those who would like it.

SUN 2 DRV | 2018年8月23日

Tesla either needs to step up the pace of supporting more apps or enable a way for third parties to do it for them, possibly via CarPlay.

eg TuneIn recently lost over 100 stations to radio.com including many big CBS news stations like KCBS in the Bay Area. So either Tesla needs to spend the resources to support radio.com and other emerging apps or let third parties do it.

peter | 2018年8月23日

Could happen if Apple were to be one of the investors to help take Tesla private.

rxlawdude | 2018年8月23日

@TTap, you know what's remarkable about V9? To the best of my knowledge, not one leak from "early experience" users. Not one picture of the displays.

In contrast, there were tons of photos well before V8 was released. This makes me think it's not as imminent as we think. Either that, or Tesla's NDA got much teethier (sic).

mos6507 | 2018年8月23日

[Tesla always wanted to be a vertically integrated company. It will not want to have a very important feature in the car to be relying on a third party.]

These rationalizations are BS upon BS.

Tesla already is shifting to using cell phones as keys (and not doing a good job of it, BTW) and it has a cell phone app to control the car. So it realizes the necessity of some degree of integration.

The reason it isn't implementing Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, IMHO, is because they don't have the coding skills or the spare manhours to do it. There is no other rationalization.

dtodd16 | 2018年8月23日

Am I mistaken or do you not have to plug your phone in each time you get into the car, and unplug it when you get out? In any case, we have it in my wife's Honda and never use it. I could care less, but since it would probably cost more to have it available, I vote NO.

joe.hocker | 2018年8月27日

+1
I want car play. Tesla was not an option for me for a long time, and one factor was it didn’t have CarPlay.
I’ve been convinced that the benefits out weigh not having car play

I think it is retarded to vote down a feature that you wouldn’t us. WTF?
I assume I’d always rely on built in navigation, but it is really nice to check Waze, Google or Apple Maps for validation on quickest route.

And most importantly, I want handsfree optimized messaging so I truly don’t have to pick up my phone while driving.

Lastly, I want to use my choice of Podcast App or Audible.com app to listen to podcasts and books while driving. Yes, douche bag, I’ve been told that the media client in Tesla has the ability to play podcasts. What I want is that I get to use the app I want, with the features I want, and it stays in sync across my devices.

joe.hocker | 2018年8月27日

+1
I want car play. Tesla was not an option for me for a long time, and one factor was it didn’t have CarPlay.
I’ve been convinced that the benefits out weigh not having car play

I think it is retarded to vote down a feature that you wouldn’t us. WTF?
I assume I’d always rely on built in navigation, but it is really nice to check Waze, Google or Apple Maps for validation on quickest route.

And most importantly, I want handsfree optimized messaging so I truly don’t have to pick up my phone while driving.

Lastly, I want to use my choice of Podcast App or Audible.com app to listen to podcasts and books while driving. Yes, douche bag, I’ve been told that the media client in Tesla has the ability to play podcasts. What I want is that I get to use the app I want, with the features I want, and it stays in sync across my devices.

Ckirkeby | 2018年9月10日

YES I want, no absolutely need CarPlay. I am taking delivery of my Model 3 on September 13th. The lack of support for CarPlay is giving me a great deal, of buyers remorse. Dependence on yet another wireless connection for all of the car infotainment is scary. Ever driven across Montana? There are large expanses of “no service”. I have had to stop at local homes or businesses to ask directions or buy hard copy maps. If the Tesla only sees my iPhone as a USB disk it will be very inconvenient. Hopefully my experience will be better than what I am now imagining or I’ll be hugely disappointed. Concerned and thinking I might have made a huge mistake........

khoidang | 2018年9月10日

A big NO for me. Apple and Google need to pony up if they want to be a part of Tesla echo system. Just ask Google how much they paid to be the default search engine for Safari.

carlk | 2018年9月10日

Tesla will not be interested even if Apple or Google pays. It's pretty obvious Tesla's goal is to be a tech company as big as if not bigger than them. It's also pretty obvious that Apple and Google is using the CarPlay and Android Auto to gain a foot step, and later autonomous technology, for eventual total control of auto tech. Companies that do not have its own technology capability may not have a choice but don't think Tesla wants any part of it.

Those who say my life can only be revolving around my iPhone or Android phone is exactly the reason these should not be in our cars.

carlk | 2018年9月10日

@Ckirkeby It's kind of like wanting the HUD. People who don't own a Tesla say they need it but most people who own one say they don't. You always have the option of keeping what you have now and not regret it.

Earl and Nagin ... | 2018年9月10日

I don't want any generic desktop operating system running on my car. The last thing we need is some 2-bit hacker hacking into the car.
Keep our toys separate from our safety please.
Tesla should keep their proprietary interfaces.

TeslaTap.com | 2018年9月10日

@Earl +1

Although I'm afraid most here don't care about security. Those tied into the Apple/Google universe already have their data sent to Apple and Google to be resold to unknown parties. At least if the phone is hacked (as is easily done) it doesn't affect my Tesla today.

There are already hacks available on CarPlay to do somewhat nasty things - including playing games while driving. Hopefully CarPlay is separated well enough from the driving dynamics in those cars that have it. Then again, most car companies are totally clueless on security, and adding security rarely works when done as an afterthought.

jibmac | 2018年9月16日

YES!!!!!! PLLLLLLEEEEEEEAAAAASE!

dtodd16 | 2018年9月16日

No thanks

Pages