Forums

1000 miles in: only real "issue" is the auto wiper setting

1000 miles in: only real "issue" is the auto wiper setting

Yesterday I crossed 1000 miles on my M3. I am completely addicted to the silent acceleration and instance torque, and already find driving my wife's ICE noisy and barbaric. Don't imagine I'll ever have anything other than a BEV from this point on.

Anyway, the only aspect of the car that feels like it's actually not working correctly is the auto wipers. Daytime, nighttime, doesn't matter: the auto setting is extremely reluctant to activate the wipers, as if it is trying to preserve the blades. Today we had a good strong storm, I was on setting 3 thinking about setting 4, and thought it was a good test of the auto setting. It did intermittent wipes, with 3 or 4 seconds in between. I could only leave it on for a moment because, you know, I needed to be able to see. Can I assume this is something I should ask Tesla to look at next time I take it to the service center? I can't believe it works this way for everyone, or else it would be a useless feature.

Other miscellaneous notes:
1) At the 1000 mile mark my energy consumption was 241 kW-h, putting me exactly on the rated 241 W-h/mile to achieve the 310 mile range. That's pretty good, considering my usage is far from ideal. We'll see how it goes in the winter.

2) The touchscreen is generally fine, and I actually find many aspects of the UI design to be really well thought out, although I have the usual assortment of gripes. The audio system, in particular, seems to be rife with unforced errors. It sounds great though.

3) I find I can't get the driver's side mirror to aim "up" enough. I can see ok in its current position, but have to bend down a bit to really be able to see straight back. Weird.

4) The lock/unlock algorithms are bonkers. I'll buy a fob if and when. In the meantime, I sincerely wish they would offer an option to disable walk away lock when at home. It's unnecessary and annoying in my garage.

That's the short version. I really really like driving this thing. It is so far and away the best car I've ever owned it's not even funny. After 12 years of driving Priuses, it feels like a rocket ship from the future.

justind10 | 2018年7月25日

I just got my car yesterday and it’s been raining for all half dozens drives I’ve taken. Auto wipers are probably my biggest complaint as they don’t seem to work unless it’s really pouring, I’m actually wondering if the sensor is messed up. I have an 2007 Mazda 3 with auto wipers that seem much more useable. Hopefully a software fix is coming or maybe the ability to tweak the sensitivity.

justind10 | 2018年7月25日

I just got my car yesterday and it’s been raining for all half dozens drives I’ve taken. Auto wipers are probably my biggest complaint as they don’t seem to work unless it’s really pouring, I’m actually wondering if the sensor is messed up. I have an 2007 Mazda 3 with auto wipers that seem much more useable. Hopefully a software fix is coming or maybe the ability to tweak the sensitivity.

Wormtown Kris | 2018年7月25日

Why do I sense an "And so it continues...." post on this thread any minute now? :)

neil.weinstock | 2018年7月25日

I know the auto wipers have been discussed; last thread(s) I read seemed to talk about how they didn't work as well at night. I didn't recall discussion of them being completely useless in the daytime. If so, mea culpa. I'll go do some searching...

mattsondra | 2018年7月25日

I've had the car for 2 weeks now and driven in the rain 3 times ranging from light drizzle to heavy rain. So far the auto wipers have worked really well, better than I thought possible.

dswroth | 2018年7月27日

I'm having the same issue with the sensors on auto not activating the wipers, or not having them on the appropriate setting for the amount of rain. Seems like the algorithm needs to be tweaked, or even better, a sensitivity adjustment that could be made by the owner through the interface...

Kathy Applebaum | 2018年7月27日

I've had my car almost 4 months and have been pleased with the auto wipers. They generally work as well as the ones in my Lexus did.

If you think they should be more sensitive, call up the SC. They can take a look remotely and see if there are issues. And if it's just a "working correctly but not like you expect", if they get enough complaints a software update can make it adjustable. :)

itsnice2be | 2018年7月27日

Where are the sensors located for the automatic wipers?

djpedro | 2018年7月27日

I think that it uses the front cameras. I agree that for my car, the wipers are “lazy.” Even in a downpour, they never go full speed, always at the slow setting.

GAGSTESLA | 2018年7月27日

Move to California, no worries about using wipers for rain.

dfelton | 2018年7月27日

I’ve got the same issues with auto wipers and the drivers side mirror. Had a ranger look at the wipers, he emptied a water bottle on the sensor which set them off and declared them functional. But once the next storm hits I’m flying blind before the wipers come on, so I have to use the manual settings on the touch screen. So that’s still a project on the to do list. Will also have the mirror checked next time the mobile ranger comes along.

viniigm3 | 2018年7月27日

I have been in possession of my M3 for 5 weeks now. Living in the Northeast we have had a lot of rain for the past few weeks. My observation is in agreement with many others here: the auto setting is very lazy. I find that I cannot see adequately on the auto setting. Most of my driving in the rain is using the manual settings.

viniigm3 | 2018年7月27日

Just looked at the owners manual. It states auto wipers are “beta” at this time.