Forums

Lift Kit on Teslas

Lift Kit on Teslas

Can you put a lift kit on any model of Teslas? like so that its all jacked up like they do to jeeps and trucks

bish | 2018年9月22日

What grade are you in?

polar.alliance101 | 2018年9月22日

I am 22 female and I don't know an answer to this question because I am not a mechanic or car fanatic. if you do that would be really helpful instead of your negligent commentary. nice user name it fits your persona perfectly (;

Earl and Nagin ... | 2018年9月22日

Sure would be nice. We visited Great Basin National Park with our Model 3 over Labor Day weekend but couldn't go to a bunch of places because we didn't have a high-clearance vehicle.
It would suck to have to drive there in my truck, just so I could get to the less accessible places.
An adjustable lift kit sure would have been nice.

jordanrichard | 2018年9月23日

Polar.alliance101, I am sure at some point someone will do that. Though what I think will happen first is someone will developers an off road EV first. The reason you can lift a truck is because the differentails are connected via driveshafts with U-joints and enables the driveshafts to be positioned at extreme angles. Also those differentials can be repositioned, meaning lowered. You can’t do that with a Tesla drive unit. IF you haven’t seen what a drive unit looks like, just good “Tesla drive unit”. There is no separate “differential”. In a Tesla it is called a “gear reduction box” and it is positioned between the motor and the inverter, as one solid unit.

Earl and Nagin ... | 2018年9月23日

@jordanrichard,
Good points. However, Tesla still has U-joints the could possibly allow a little motion in the driveshaft. This, of course, would have all of the usual issues with stressing the U-joint but one might be able to get an inch or so of extra lift.
Clearly, the wrong tool for the wrong job though and the car would look like a ghetto sled with oversized wheels. The performance and handling would also likely be terrible.
I guess we'll just have to wait for the Tesla Truck and keep burning dinosaurs on trips where we'll want to go off-road until then.

ravisundaramam | 2018年9月23日

jordanrichard:

I would guess it would be easier on the Tesla AWD. In a typical ICEV AWD there is only one powerplant, and there is a transfer case, central differential and power shafts going to the differentials on the axle connecting through universal joints. We don't have transfer case nor powershafts from outside. There are *TWO* count them, one, two, motors, one for each axle, and they are electronically linked/locked. So if you substitute a larger diameter tire, the entire axle will shift up, taking the motor and the drive reduction unit and the differential all upwards.

There would not be any need to insert additional reduction gears to adjust for the wheel diameter change. The motor pumps out the required torque at all RPM.

So when the time comes, it would be an easier job. But till used Model X comes down in price below 20K there will not be guinea pigs to attempt these mods.

ragtopday | 2018年9月23日

Do you realize that Tesla didn't design those door handles to look cool. They did it to cut wind resistance and squeeze out ever inch of range on the battery. All that work that Tesla did to cut wind resistance and get maximum range is going down the poop chute when you jack up the carl. As a matter of fact a lot of car companies (including Tesla0 have the ability to lower the car at highway speed to cut wind resistance, for some companies it is optional and others it is standard equipment). I am just guess on the number but raising the car may decrease range by 10% to 20%) raising the car may also make it impossible for the computer to calculate range accurately. You may regret your decision to raise the car when you are stranded because the computer couldn't predict range.

Its your car. so do whatever makes you happy but be sure you hire a topnotch mechanic that knows what he is doing.

DonS | 2018年9月23日

Beyond the opinions of whether this is desirable, there are several challenges:
- The tires fit so closely in the wheel wells that only certain tire chains can be used. So bigger tires means lifting way up or lots of bodywork modification.
- The motor connections to the wheels are similar to other vehicles with independent suspension. Lifting of this type of suspension means the axle shaft angles get severe. The stock tires are about 29" diameter, so changing to a modest 33" diameter would require lowing the drive units about 2", but probably more to avoid rubbing in the wheel wells.
- There are boulevard cruisers with large wheels, but if you actually want to attack any challenging terrain, a lot more lift would be needed to allow for more suspension travel.

So yes it is possible, but there are no lift kits available. Everything would be custom, and the higher the lift, the more things needs to be customized. I believe the Model Y will have a high enough volume that some owners will make it happen. Aftermarket manufacturers will not make kits until there is a significant demand.

patiponp204 | 2018年9月23日

Thanks for the good ideas to bring it. I know a lot more.
[url=http://www.ufa007.com/ufabet]ufabet[/url]

nguyenhahai1234567 | 2018年9月24日

Great post,Thanks for providing us this great knowledge,Keep it up.
http://raftwars2.net

jordanrichard | 2018年9月24日

Earl and Nagin, oh I get that there are already "u-joints", but they are already designed to handle "x" amount of up and down travel. You raise the suspension higher than the highest setting in the air suspension, you are probably going to be overstressing that u-joint.

dave.m.mcdonough | 2018年9月25日

put the whole drive unit on 6" spacers, the guys at truck rally will be proud

bjmoose | 2018年9月25日

OK, I know a fair amount about lift kits, because I upgraded the suspension on my Toyota Tacoma pickup to increase clearance by about 3" and run oversized tires.

The Tacoma has independent front suspension, (IFS) but solid axle rear suspension.

Most trucks that have been lifted are either this configuration, or solid axle front and rear.

However, when folks have tried to add lift kits to vehicles that are independent suspension on both front and rear, it's always very challenging, and usually ends up being unsuccessful. For example the new Jeep Renegade.

bjmoose | 2018年9月25日

After I posted that, I went and looked - and some companies have finally introduced some lift kits for the Renegade. (The first attempts to do so were unsuccessful.)

So, never say never. But it's a little like lifting a Porsche Cayenne: would you really want to take a car that's that expensive that close to danger and damage??

dave.m.mcdonough | 2018年9月26日

Electric torque and control would make for an awesome rock crawler, can't deny that.

Thudhead | 2018年10月24日

I'm just looking for an extra inch of clearance. An inch of clearance would help a lot with entry and exit angles on a car as small as this, and would get you into the same places that many Subarus go. Drove down a dry arroyo in Southern Utah last weekend and had to be real surgical and move a few rocks I wouldn't have cleared. I think that to get an inch, just a spacer inserted at the spring would do - the shocks would probably be fine with the added inch. Will report back with what I find.

Earl and Nagin ... | 2018年10月24日

I had to turn back on a drive over the weekend because the center got too high for my comfort. A couple of inches definitely would have helped me. Of course, I definitely liked the low ride on the paved roads on my way out there. I guess air suspension would be the right thing.

blue adept | 2018年10月29日

@polar.alliance101

Yes! ANYTHING an be "lifted".

Other than having to have longer half-axles//shafts manufactured you shouldn't have much of any problem fitting a lift kit.

blue adept | 2018年10月29日

EDIT:

And a harness extension (for the connection to the motor(s).

jimglas | 2018年10月29日

Wait for the model Y, or buy a jeep.

Uncle Paul | 2018年10月30日

Tesla S and X come with adjustable air suspension, that allows you to lift and lower them several inches for greater ground clearance.
They are not designed as rock crawlers, but for mild off road excursions.

malbrough | 2019年4月8日

Mountain Pass Performance now sells a lift kit for the Model 3.

malbrough | 2019年4月8日

Mountain Pass Performance now sells a lift kit for the Model 3.

blue adept | 2019年4月11日

@jordanrichard

To clarify, the "drive unit(s)" is centrally located within the frame and doesn't require being re-positioned inasmuch as all that one would need (besides the obvious suspension component upgrade) would be longer half-shafts to compensate for the increased distance between the 'drive unit(s)' and the wheels, as well as the range of axle travel of course.

It really depends on just how much ground clearance you're looking for/wanting to acquire.

timojames | 2019年8月5日

Both the front and rear motors and suspension arms are connected to the chassis with only 4 bolts. To get a lift just need aluminium spacers there and at the upper macpherson strut mount. And you’ve got a lift. The other way would be to use bolt on portal hubs. These look pretty awesome ( http://www.tibus-offroad.com/en/products/bolt-on-portals/ ) but they aren’t too interested in customise one for Tesla, maybe if enough people ask they’ll reconsider?

blue adept | 2019年8月5日

Another way to go about it without disturbing any of the factory suspension geometry is to use a "body" lift kit inasmuch as it's just a bunch of typically polyurethane bushings with longer mounting bolts that increases the space between the body of the vehicle and the drive and/or suspension components.

Just Google "body lift kits" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

DonS | 2019年8月5日

Body lifts are common for traditional full frame vehicles like trucks and suburbans. It is not applicable to most vehicles, such as existing Tesla models, because the body and frame are one unit, i.e. uni-body.

To lift uni-body vehicles requires a suspension lift, and kits often include brackets that allow mounting of the factory A-arms at lower point. Better kits use custom A-arms.

phuchadekko2018 | 2019年8月6日

Thanks for the useful information you shared with us.
http://madalinstuntcars2.net/

blue adept | 2019年8月6日

@DonS

Actually I have seen body lifts used on even unibody'd vehicles where the installer merely extended the mounting points of the suspension and the drive train with the bushings and brackets contained in the kits inasmuch as the suspension and drive train aren't physical parts of the unibody itself, but are bolted onto it, though I can understand the confusion.

blue adept | 2019年8月6日

Oh, and suspension lift kits also include custom drop links as well, in addition to the "custom A-arms", for the steering assembly so as to not alter/kink the geometry, which are not required for body lifts.