Forums

Replace 12V battery "soon" warning

Replace 12V battery "soon" warning

How long do I have to safely drive the car after first receiving this warning? I believe that some of you have been dead in the water after your 12V went bad. Light just came on yesterday for the first time. The soonest appointment I can get is in mid October. Service said I will be fine waiting. Do I need to argue with them and try to have it fixed sooner? How quick a replacement is it? I am assuming it is a very quick swap out. I have a mid 2015 vintage S85d. 78,000 miles (and not that the 12V should affect this but as of last month I 100% charged to 262 miles range - I do not remember if energy savings was on or not). Thanks.

SUN 2 DRV | 2018年9月26日

You generally have at least several weeks...

I have 118k miles on my five year old MS-85 and have needed only one 12V battery replacement. It seems the more you drive it the longer your 12V battery lasts. I think it's because the 12v then needs to power the background electronics less of the time, and also that the 12V gets recharged while driving so it doesn't get deeply discharged as often.

p.c.mcavoy | 2018年9月26日

@matthew.joseph - I had mine replaced in February this year. Was about 3 weeks between when notice first occurred and it was replaced without any issues. Sounds like your appointment was in a similar window of time. I’ve seen many others comment about a 2-4 week window without any issue.

Haggy | 2018年9月26日

It should last until the appointment. If Tesla didn't feel confident, they'd have you come in. Otherwise, they'd end up paying for a tow.

Mine is a 2014, had an older generation 12V battery and the original software used a different and less optimal charging algorithm. Later batteries should last longer. Mine first showed me a message at around 49,750 miles, so I went in right away just to make sure that they knew that it happened under warranty. But it likely would have lasted a while longer.

On a 2015 85D, the battery is easier to change than it was on mine, and mine didn't take long. They did it while I waited.

RandallKeith | 2018年9月26日

2014 October build 12 V battery lasted 3 1/2 years 37,000 miles. Ranger replaced it in my driveway 30 minutes. Yours is easier to get at. You’ll make it to mid October ranger told me it can’t go a couple of months.

RandallKeith | 2018年9月26日

Can go

NKYTA | 2018年9月26日

Should be fine OP.

jjgunn | 2018年9月26日

'soon" - replace it when you get FSD per Elon

I would replace it & be done with it.

JayInJapan | 2018年9月26日

My 12V lasted 3 years and 7 months. Tesla set up an appointment; swap took 20 minutes. It’s not a big deal.

trevor58 | 2018年9月26日

I also had a busy service center schedule and waited between 3 and 4 weeks after the warning with no problem.

jordanrichard | 2018年9月27日

Don't worry about it. I got the 12v warning at the begging of this past March, already had my 4th annual service scheduled for Mar 29th, so I just waited until then. I was at 107,000 miles by the time my 4th annual was done.

In an ICE car, if one gets a battery light, they are literally on borrowed time.

stevenmaifert | 2018年9月27日

It will likely last until your appointment, but I would push to get it replaced sooner. When the 12V stops, so does the car and you are out of warranty for a Tesla paid tow.

Haggy | 2018年9月27日

I have AAA but in addition, I added towing to my insurance policy. It costs only a few dollars. Unlike AAA, the one from the insurance company is limited to towing to the nearest repair facility. It's obviously trying to be as limiting as possible and would preclude towing to a person's favorite mechanic in many cases, but in my case it could be hundreds of miles.

Cnightengale | 2018年9月28日

How much does it cost to replace the 12V?

RandallKeith | 2018年9月28日

If car is under warranty it’s free. Out of warranty ranger told me about $250. It used to be more but Tesla keeps changing their prices.

Tesla-David | 2018年9月29日

We had 12V battery replaced in March in our S85D by Ranger, took less than 20 minutes, and drove car for ~2 weeks after warning light came on with no problems.

ATCRomes | 2018年9月29日

OP, would you say you often let your SOC drop pretty low? I've had mine replaced twice and both times it was after the SOC was very low for a couple days. First time car was in storage for a few months, second time I had cosmetic work done and shop didnt charge it. Just wondering.

sertel_rd | 2019年8月10日

I have that message “Replace 12V battery "soon" warning” and i remplace the battery of my Model 3 and I have the same message, there is any way to renové that message or the car require service. Please some one that can help me

grins.va | 2019年8月11日

Make an appointment with your mobile service or your nearest Service Center. Don’t wait too long.