Forums

Horrible buying experience

Horrible buying experience

We ordered our Tesla at the local Tesla dealer. We received a call on Monday that Sept 24 that our car would be delivered Friday the 31st available for pick up. Fantastic. I called Thursday to the sales guy to get paperwork my bank needed. I advised him that we had plans and could we schedule a pick up of Tuesday, Oct 2. He advised yes. All day Thursday we wait for the needed paperwork for the bank, no reply. Then Friday I call and speak to the GM of the dealership Guy, he assures me everything is fine and he will get me the needed paperwork. Then all day goes by with no paperwork. Monday I call back, get the other manager Johnny who says that's not his job and he will have some one call me. Keep in mind my pick up is Tuesday at 9am. Monday at 4 pm we get a call that they had sold our car to some one else, and we would have to wait for a new one. Mean while I have sold my car, now have no car, and paid an electrician way over price to install a charging station last minute, and had already taken Tuesday off work. The reality is the dealer already knew on Thursday they had or would sell my car from underneath me, that's why no one would get me the paperwork. Then they lie and say it was accidently sold, when we all know it was sold so they make your numbers. HOW DO YOU ACCIDENTLY SELL A CAR? I even told the dealer if it was a must I could pick it up Friday and was assured it didn't matter. Mean while I'm now stuck with no car and a very poor buying experience. No one has offered anything in response to this, just a it is what it is attitude, like I should be grateful Tesla was kind enough to sell me a car. As I told the sales person I would expect this from a Kia dealer, but you are competing with Lexus and Cadillac and BMW, all of which I have owned, and all of which would never allow something like this to have happened. Tesla is in for real trouble once the BMWs and Lexus of the world start selling electric cars. I don't even own the Tesla yet and we already regret buying it.

NKYTA | 2018年10月2日

Wow.

Maybe you should have tried going to a Tesla Sales Center instead of a non-existent "Tesla dealer".

"Tesla is in for real trouble once the BMWs and Lexus of the world start selling electric cars."

Actually, that furthers Tesla's mission, to accelerate the world to sustainable transportation.

lifeinthefastlane | 2018年10月2日

Even if Teslas were made of gold and end up being the chariot of the Messiah in the future for all to grace their unworthy lives for, nobody paying Tesla prices should have an experience like this. The first reply here from NKYTA doesn't appreciate the reality of your problem, nor the fact that the experience of buying these cars is definitely shifting to the worse for the buyers as it seems the case at least in these last couple of months. People will definitely know what you mean buy "Tesla dealer", so that comment is just ridiculous in general. The representatives at these Tesla sales centers do seem to often lack actual information on the logistics of actually taking delivery of a car that's either in Tesla Inventory or in the CPO inventory.

SO | 2018年10月2日

Unfortunate situation. Relax, breathe, and Tesla will make it right. Your buying situation is not typical. Most are happy. Tesla still has the highest customer satisfaction. Will there be some bad cases? Yes. Will there be more made cases because of higher volume? Yes. I have had poor expierences with other manufacturers as well.

But the whole “Tesla is in trouble once others start selling” is a major yawn. Give that a rest. Otherwise you just sound like another senile Bob Lutz. Tesla will do just fine.

jordanrichard | 2018年10月2日

My spidey sense says this is made up.

Donz_S | 2018年10月2日

Initially, my receipt of used S was similar. I clicked buy, received prompt email, then nothing for over a week. I had new car buyer's worry syndrome. I was shocked that no one called me. Shocked that my car wasn't ready in a day. Shocked etc. But, and it's a BIG but, all my worries were for nothing. In the order my car was received by the Service Center, Tesla performed the checkout, took photos, generated necessary paperwork for insurance and for my bank. Upon receipt, I felt like I was their #1 customer. I felt at home and at ease. Information was accurate and transfer of ownership was seamless. I just wish I had more $$ to buy another one sooner than later!

jerrykham | 2018年10月2日

@jordanrichard - hard to say. The inclusion of "dealer" smacks of made up, but some people use that word incorrectly and just assume car places are dealerships and don't ever realize that this is direct sales. If we give credit on that one, the rest may be true. Certainly Tesla has had a lot of trouble getting deliveries right. I was unable to do ACH on my model S a year ago because they wouldn't get me the final price until 18 hours before delivery (just enough time to get a cashier's check) - even though I asked and asked and asked. I really don't know how they would manage to give his VIN to someone else though. That one seems a bit odd. Unless Tesla just said that because it was really one of those "we actually don't know where it is" and they thought it would sound better to say they sold it to another person. Honestly this one could be real. If so, I feel sorry for them. That sucks.

carlk | 2018年10月2日

Thankfully you can still buy a Lexus, Cadillac or BMW. Dealers, this time real dealers, would be so very happy to sell you a car you want right away.

Rocky_H | 2018年10月2日

Quote: "We received a call on Monday that Sept 24 that our car would be delivered Friday the 31st available for pick up."

I'm still trying to figure out how this person found a 31st day in September. No wonder the delivery didn't happen!

Tropopause | 2018年10月2日

Even if September had 31 days, it would have been on Monday, not Friday.

Bob Lutz- please take your meds before posting on this forum.

SUN 2 DRV | 2018年10月2日

OP In case the obvious has sunk in yet, this past week was the end of Tesla's fiscal quarter and like virtually all startups they had a tremendous push to achieve (and surpass) their manufacturing, delivery and financial goals. Yes they pushed the boundaries of what they are capable of. So this doesn't allow the the luxury of coddling every single customer who contacted them last week. For better or worse it was deliver a car and then on to the next one.

Now that the quarter is over they will have much more time to help you with your car buying needs.

But in any case you can't get a Tesla caliber car from Lexus, Cadillac or BMW. Unlike traditional car dealerships, Tesla isn't trying to take advantage of you, they are simply trying to make as many customers happy in as short a time as possible. And if the stars didn't line up for you last quarter, you're very near the front of the line this quarter...if you don't blow your chance again...

I’m day one in this forum and these Tesla fanboy comments chiming in with pompous disrespectful remarks to people paying major dollars for crappy quality in return is a major turnoff. These are real issues when someone is dropping what is often over an annual salary for most on a car that isn’t up to snuff on delivery. I haven’t bought yet and I’m losing faith by the hour. Buying a used car is a kick in the groin, so taking the hit to buy a new one only to experience the same or worse outcomes makes zero sense. It would be one thing if we’re talking a few bad apples, but there are literally hundreds on here with problems over the past couple of months, and thousands online. Taking their new $100K cars in for service months after receipt and getting loaners for weeks as the company scrambles go fix it. That’s nonsense.

I’m day one in this forum and these Tesla fanboy comments chiming in with pompous disrespectful remarks to people paying major dollars for crappy quality in return is a major turnoff. These are real issues when someone is dropping what is often over an annual salary for most on a car that isn’t up to snuff on delivery. I haven’t bought yet and I’m losing faith by the hour. Buying a used car is a kick in the groin, so taking the hit to buy a new one only to experience the same or worse outcomes makes zero sense. It would be one thing if we’re talking a few bad apples, but there are literally hundreds on here with problems over the past couple of months, and thousands online. Taking their new $100K cars in for service months after receipt and getting loaners for weeks as the company scrambles go fix it. That’s nonsense.

sosmerc | 2018年10月2日

We get your point. Tesla IS up against the wall......and they are working on it. Lot's to do: coordinating with suppliers, shipping companies, training new workers, scheduling deliveries, repairing broken cars, cranking out new features via software updates, expanding the supercharging network, expanding the gigafactory as well as expansion of the Fremont facility. And now seeking additional "leadership" at the top to satisfy SEC ruling. There is a lot going on behind the scenes. Lots of pressure.

NKYTA | 2018年10月2日

“Lots of pressure.” Zero pressure.

Lots of positive $$$ pressure.

100 Owners showed up to help out at the Fremont Delivery Center on Sunday.

Why? Because they did.

Tesla isn’t up against any wall with the brand recoconition (with zero advertising), every other non existent Tesla killer is. period.

There is a whole lot more going on “behind the scenes” than you know. Or I know.

Sigh.

NKYTA - there are over 320 million Americans in the country in the $20T economy that remains heavily reliant on the fossil fuels that power the plants that power your overpriced battery on wheels. EVs remain less than 2% of the automobile industry market share. Point being - nobody cares about your soap box about how indestructible you believe this company is. That 100 people showed up on a weekend to help a $50B market cap company barely meet expectations of its 3rd quarter performance figures is not at all meaningful to the people talking on here today about dropping 6 figures for a crappy experience regardless of the reason. It’s unacceptable. Period.

NKYTA | 2018年10月3日

@beau, “all the people”? Thousands of cars delivered, here I count 1.5.

Not adding up.

Rocky_H | 2018年10月3日

Ah, there it is. @beau tried to pretend to keep on the "concerned citizen" mask for a while, but just couldn't take it anymore and revealed himself with the "overpriced battery on wheels" insult.

Xerogas | 2018年10月3日

Swipe left, [Hide Troll], ahhh, serenity restored.

Tesla-David | 2018年10月3日

I am inclined to agree with @jordanrichard, this sounds like a made up story, and am especially skeptical when the OP fails to mention where this occurred. I have purchased three Tesla's over last 5+ years (2 MS's, and M3) and have had nothing remotely negative on each of these purchases here in Seattle. The Seattle SC has always been exemplary in responding to any issue I have raised. Nothing like OP's rant ever.

rxlawdude | 2018年10月4日

TEA SCORE 95%

Xerogas | 2018年10月4日

Changing username on the forum: check
TEA score rising to 100

Tropopause | 2018年10月5日

Case closed. Guilty of trolling.

SEB | 2018年10月5日

Absolutely terrible to hear about. I hope you get a proper solution to this. I’ve been looking hard at buying a Tesla for months. Reading these more honest forum posts has actually been really helpful in my research. A major red flag I’ve noticed here is that there is a very clear echo chamber of people who only want to see positive feedback on these cars, and when someone posts something like this, brand fans troll them with petty claims of doubt that the experience is even a real one, call the posters themselves trolls, like the above comments here, and that is all downright corrupt in a forum where buyers like me are simply trying to learn the cars, brand and overall customer service experience before we spend enough money on a car that could otherwise buy a home in certain parts of this country. I get it though...they are awesome cars. Fun to drive. Interesting prospect for the future no doubt. But there are just way too many stories like this out there to justify pulling the trigger on buying one though. And nobody is getting fooled by the fanboys on here. Any reasonable person can quickly discern that the prices are way too high for a hit or miss product on overall quality, service and overall experience. It’s a young company and they are rushing to be competitive. They don’t advertise because they can’t. They can barely handle existing users after the big bite they took on Model 3s, making all Performance 3, S and X drivers the effective fundraisers of this cheaper car they can’t even sell right now for another 6 months. Autopilot tech and full self driving capability features are adding almost $10K in cost to the 3’s, X’s and S’s and this is just software, some of which is not even legal to be fully utilized and likely won’t be for a very long time because a car simply can’t replace a human safely behind the wheel at this time in our history. We saw what happened when human nature took over and some poor guy let the car drive him into a median just before speeding the car up to do so. So it’s a spooky bet for the price tag. And buying used, their abandonment of the CPO program was a major misstep for the brand as well. Prudent car buyers like myself often want to buy used, and the warranty is clearly critical for this brand, and to keep that in the best way possible you basically have to buy used from Tesla, who no longer fixes damage and offers almost no help in delivery to buy a car sight-unseen from an inventory that tends to be only Chicago, Phoenix, DC, Seattle, Los Angeles and New York. Since I don’t live in any of those cities, Tesla said they won’t assist with transport anymore (something they used to do), so to get a car I want, I have to travel to it, take delivery of it, and drive it back home. Or pay for a transport company to do so, but I’d still have to take delivery myself meaning I still have to travel to the car. And since these used cars they offer are often mostly leases being returned, they’re beat to hell and Tesla won’t fix this damage anymore. All the while charging a price that is simply way too close to the new car price. So you’re left with this reality: buy it sight unseen paying a nonrefundable deposit, travel to it, either drive it back home or pay somebody to transport it for you, and then deal with any repairs needed on top of the price you paid Tesla. That’s a inventory price do Tesla inclusive of deposit, sales tax in up to 2 states, Tesla purchase fees, a plane ticket, cost to either drive or transport it and you better hope you have time for a road trip, and then repair costs. All to try and buy a car. That situation paired with these forum accounts, which I truly appreciate, led me to the conclusion last night that simply need to hold my money, buy a local car I can physically inspect and drive, and wait for Tesla to get its act together. I share this here for someone like me who wants to really understand what to expect when making this big decision. And judging by the rude commenters above, if this makes me a troll to Tesla in your eyes, so be it. With a tag line like “Horrible Buying Experience”, and a story like the above, this is a real problem for any reasonable person trying to make a wise purchase decision, and I thank the original poster for taking the time to write it.

lilbean | 2018年10月5日

You want to hear about a horrible buying experience? My in-laws went to a BMW dealership and left with... a BMW! Yuck!!! What a ripoff!

Tropopause | 2018年10月5日

SEB- how ironic! Your username, that is. Shortsellers Enrichment Bureau.

SamO | 2018年10月5日

Flagged

SEB | 2018年10月5日

I’m not a robot, nor am I anyone with an interest in Tesla failing. I am a Tesla stock owner. I want the company to succeed. But right now, buying their cars is too challenging for a used vehicle, and new cars need to not have stories like the above when I’m looking spending over $140K on a vehicle brand new, or over $120K on a similar vehicle that is used aggressively by the prior owner and 2 years old with an MCU that is now outdated enough to have current Tesla Owner Advisers telling me that my daily driving will be too annoying with how slow it is, so if course I should just buy a new one. I buy and sell companies for a living, buying an a car is no different in concept and process. If the seller makes it too hard to buy the asset, you take the path of least resistance eventually and buy something else that meets your needs. If Tesla goes back to its old CPO program, I will come back to the search of finding what I want in their inventory. Until then, buying new is not justifiable at their price points for all the reasons discussed above and in other forum posts here, and buying used just literally makes zero sense because the tasks to the buyer for the non-negotiable pricing are simply insurmountable to a reasonable person. Call me a troll and flag my comments, please do. I want Tesla to read this and succeed in fixing these hopefully temporary problems. When they do, I’ll be a car owner and the stock owner I am now. But not now.

gallen1119 | 2018年10月5日

Took delivery of a M3 a little over a week ago. Excellent buying experience. Very smooth. Car available and ready the day I had set up about 2 weeks prior. There were a couple of issues with paperwork, communication, etc that were all resolved without panic. I was just patient and took a few deep breaths.

On delivery day, the Service Center said they were delivering 85 cars that day, 230 the day after, and over 250 the day following that. Yes, they were under tremendous pressure to meet sales/delivery goals. They were offloading 10-15 trucks of cars every night. They had three auxiliary lots full of cars and busy employees. Everyone a saw that day was smiling ear to ear, just like me. I am guessing, by reading some of these posts, that few of those people are like me and reporting their excellent experience.

Week one driving experience has also been amazing. I have never owned a machine that performs like this. It was worth the wait. Take a deep breath, and then blow past everyone else on the freeway on-ramp.

gcklo | 2018年10月5日

Is there such a thing like Tesla "dealer"? Not aware there is one.

NKYTA | 2018年10月5日

There isn’t.

Xerogas | 2018年10月5日

100% of forum members who write run-on sentences while declining to interject paragraph line breaks are trolls who borrowed every negative headline they could find, and wove it into a false narrative of “concern”.

This thread attracts them like moths to a flame. Flame-bait, that is!

Nexxus | 2018年10月9日

The OP didn't finish her name: "laverndfaz-io". There fixed it for you Lavern.

Nexxus | 2018年10月9日

The OP didn't finish her name: "laverndfaz-io". There fixed it for you Lavern D'Fazio.

teslakd | 2018年10月9日

I have to relate a similar disappointing experience. I collected my inventory model S Tesla on 9/30 and it was dissapointing. The facility was clearly understaffed. The team members certainly did their best to be gracious and timely and very politely informed me that there would be at least an hour wait - most likely two. This was infact a 4 hour wait - despite having a scheduled appointment. Not sure how patient you had to be gallen1119 but time is $$$

For a brand that sells an experience and quite frankly where I just spent a huge chunk of change this was infuriating. Again the staff was great - I truly believe they did their best with a very difficult situation and were unfortunately set up to fail.

Worse the car was just washed not "detailed". the clumps of hair in the back seat made that clear. Once my car was ready I was handed my keys and told "ok, now you're free to go". No Delivery Specialist to walk me through my car, help with initial set up, allow me to inspect it to ensure that it was satisfactory and that all the requested features were delivered - which unfortunately I discovered after the fact my autopilot was not installed. Still haven't heard back from anyone about sorting this out.

My first car was a Honda from the dealer and that was by far a better experience. So word of advise don't pick up your car at the end of the month and worse the end of the quarter. You're better of shopping at Costco!!

But I love my car!!! hopefully the autopilot issue is resolved soon.

Xerogas | 2018年10月9日

@teslakd: what makes you believe autopilot wasn’t enabled? It takes 50 miles of calibration before it switches on.

lifeinthefastlane | 2018年10月10日

NYKTA
Xerogas
Tropopause
SamO

Let one negative, less than glowing remark about Teslas or the asinine process of buying them hit this forum from anyone out there, and here they come to cry like babies about how fake or doubtful the comments must be. You make the brand wreak of snake oil with snotty posturing like that. Meanwhile real people are entering their Tesla experience with sour tastes in their mouths and coming here to talk about it so that others may learn from their experience in what is often a big decision in peoples' lives, buying a vehicle, especially when they're as expensive as these models are. With this much energy devoted from these commenters toward defending a brand so blindly and senselessly in a mere online forum, one would think they're either paid to comment here, or perhaps they've sunk all their life savings into a car and probably a stock that has since sunk well over $100.00 / share, or over 30% in price degradation, in a matter of just a few months. Often due to a Twitter feed that rivals Trump's in social and economic stupidity at times. Human nature being the only reliable marker to look to here, I'll bet the latter, or maybe it's both, that they're paid to do this and they have all their eggs in this one basket. Either way it's pathetic, and souring to the brand. Be nice to people, regardless of what they have to say about these cars or this company. It's 2018, catch up with a little human decency.

talels | 2018年10月11日

Stories like the OP's one made me very nervous about my MS delivery. I was preparing myself for all sorts of possible issues - from not getting the car at all to getting a car with serious defects and problems. However, the delivery went smoothly and I drove my new MS home that day. The delivery person didn't do the "car orientation" but I already knew enough from my previous test drives.
I wish I hadn't read all those horrifying delivery stories, because they just made me worry for nothing and made my delivery experience more stressful that it needed to be.

rxlawdude | 2018年10月11日

@lifeinthefastlane: "With this much energy devoted from these commenters toward defending a brand so blindly and senselessly in a mere online forum, one would think they're either paid to comment here, or perhaps they've sunk all their life savings into a car and probably a stock that has since sunk well over $100.00 / share, or over 30% in price degradation, in a matter of just a few months."

Your dripping hatred is noted. Added to twit filter.

SEB | 2018年10月11日

@rxlawdude - the comment above doesn't read as dripping hatred. Judging by the actual comments posted here from fans of Tesla and those who seem less invested in the polishing of the content in this forum, it seems merely factual because the stock price has taken a dive and buying these cars is far from seamless. Your use of the word "twit" and seems likely to add yourself to the list of fanboys who post comments that add no value to the discussion, and support the fact that too many on here care only about polishing terds and care nothing about the people coming here airing real grievances with this company that should simply be doing MUCH, MUCH better than it really is. If you drop $100K+ on a car, it better be absolutely amazing every way possible, no if's and's or but's. Because one can just as quickly buy a Maserati, or Ferrari...you know...supercars...with world-class irrefutable quality and respect, and do so with zero fear that it will be a terrible experience to them. Something Tesla has a lot of work left to do on earning such a respect for, as evidenced by these unacceptably bad experiences.

Accordingly, your nonsense is noted among the rest above. Added to irrelevant filter.

rxlawdude | 2018年10月11日

" one would think they're either paid to comment here, or perhaps they've sunk all their life savings into a car and probably a stock that has since sunk well over $100.00 / share, or over 30% in price degradation, in a matter of just a few months"

Snotty crap like that you're okay with? Buh bye!

rxlawdude | 2018年10月11日

Oh, and SEB, for future long rants, PLEASE get your "Enter" key fixed and learn to use it.

LTR | 2018年10月11日

Sounds like a troll post...
I had a purely enjoyable test drive at the SC...no pressure, at all...
then ordered my car online...and it came in about 8 weeks.
Yeah...longest 8 weeks of my adult life. LOL....
But now, 4 months later, I smile every time I press on the brake pedal and hit Drive.
I love my Tesla.

teslakd | 2018年10月11日

@Xerogas - I was told it would take some time to activate - even though it was an inventory model. Then I drove about 200 miles home after the pick up and still nada...

Xerogas | 2018年10月11日

@teslakd: "@Xerogas - I was told it would take some time to activate - even though it was an inventory model. Then I drove about 200 miles home after the pick up and still nada..."
------
What I meant was, “what indicated that it wasn’t installed?”. Did you see a screen prompt, or error message, or what?

In any case, a quick phone call to your service center should clear this up. If they need to activate it, they will.

mdkoeck | 2019年9月6日

Tesla store flubbed so many things so far. I agree with others in that I feel like they think they're doing us a favor by selling us a car. Buying a M3 new, but has ~1900 miles. First day, I spent two hours, was late for a meeting, wasted my spouses time and car was not ready. Had to bail. Second day I went to store only to inspect the outside, car had dirt and food in all seat creases. Floors that dirt and food in the spaces you couldn't rush to clean. Trunk had glitter. Finger and hand prints over much of the inside and outside. Seems like a good disco party somewhere that I was not invited to, but expected to clean up after. Headed back one more time tomorrow to see if I can close on this care tomorrow. My sales guy bragged about being the number one rep, I think he said in the country. Good luck learning to be the top sales person to sell two cars to the same person.

My recent experience with Tesla Energy was wonderful from beginning to end. I was mistaken to think buying a car from them would be the same.

jimglas | 2019年9月6日

FUD