Forums

Will the mid range model 3 be delivered before Dec 31?

Will the mid range model 3 be delivered before Dec 31?

I just ordered the Mid Range Model 3, black color today! Super excited! My only concern is not getting the car before Dec 31 to get the full tax credit. I heard you can cancel the order and get a refund of $2.5k, as long as the car is not matched to a VIN. Would it be safe to assume that, if I do not get the VIN by Dec 1st, I should cancel the order for a full refund. This is assuming the car takes less than 4 weeks to be delivered after getting a VIN.

Zidarich | 2018年10月19日

Where are you located? Closer to California you are, the better chance of getting it before the end of the year.

Magic 8 Ball | 2018年10月19日

Is $3750 a deal breaker on buying it for you? A delivery of a car can be delayed at any time for any reason.
It is never safe to assume anything. Get it in writing from the people you are dealing with. People here will not reimburse you should things go south.

CharleyBC | 2018年10月19日

No guarantee, but a Musk post someone linked yesterday talked about the new MR being a net $35K car in California. That is, $45K minus $7500 fed and $2500 CA. That would imply delivery this year.

Also, I think your 4-week window for a VIN is unnecessarily long. We got our VIN, and then our car about 5 days later. (California customer)

Sidk83 | 2018年10月19日

Thanks for all the comments. I am located in NJ, hence I assumed a longer duration after getting a VIN

Sidk83 | 2018年10月19日

Thanks for all the comments. I am located in NJ, hence I assumed a longer duration after getting a VIN

gballant4570 | 2018年10月19日

No guarantee of full fed tax credit. Put pressure on your reps to vote for one of the two bills that would extend it. Put maximum pressure on them to kill the sorry crap that wants to tax EVs more than the rest.

Passage of an extension would be REALLY good for The Mission. One of the bills extends it 10 years, the other only 2.

Forgot to mention - buy the car no matter what the deal is with the tax credit.

carlk | 2018年10月19日

I believe Tesla timed it to open after the 10/15 deadline for promised end of year delivery. There is no guarantee you just have to try your luck. The sooner you make your decision the better odds you will have.

M3DNP | 2018年10月19日

I recently was told that the transport from CA to Cincinnati, OH (My delivery center) would take 20 days. So, I've been given 10/31 as my delivery date.
I called Tesla today and I was told the car would reach delivery center by 23rd (2 weeks).

So, it is safe to expect a transit time of 3 weeks for NJ delivery.

Sw0rdf1sh | 2018年10月19日

i thought the deadline to receive a vehicle this year guaranteed was October 15th? Was it specific to a model?

Like 8 ball said I would not let that stop my or cancel my order.

lbowroom | 2018年10月19日

Here's a rumor. The MR is a software limited LR RWD that they overbuilt quantity on and can't move off of their lots fast enough. Simple software upload and a $4k discount to clear them out.

jamilworm | 2018年10月19日

Without the guarantee of delivery before the end of the year , I don't understand why anyone would order the MR if they weren't willing to get the LR before the 15th. You save 4k off the cost but then you lose 3.75k federal tax credit. So net you are saving $250 and losing 50 miles of range. Am I missing something?

odub | 2018年10月19日

All of their calculations showing savings still currently show $7500 tax credit. It would be disingenuous to show this if they have no intention of delivering before December 31. That being said, I would try to get something in writing from Tesla that if it is not delivered by December 31, 2018 that the $2500 deposit would be refunded or credited to the SR.

carlk | 2018年10月19日

@odub Don't think Tesla would guarantee that. They will probably just tell you not to order. I don't think they worry there will be no takers for cars made before the deadline.

CharleyBC | 2018年10月19日

"Here's a rumor. The MR is a software limited LR RWD"

Many of us are wondering that. I just went "shopping" for a new Model 3. The specs for the new MR say it weighs 3686 pounds. As we all now know, the LR RWD is no longer listed, so they don't have a weight for it. Does anyone remember? If it's 3686, then I think we're looking at software. If the LR RWD is heavier, then maybe the MR really does have a smaller battery.

David N | 2018年10月19日

My thinking is that Elon wanted to open up to another segment of the Model 3 enthusiasts so Tesla can manufacture as many as possible for as many people as possible before that 12/31 cut off. Regardless of what some say, Elon is truly concerned about us, he recognizes the loyalty all have shown him through the years, and I believe he will continue the same in the coming years.
So to answer your question, I think Elon is going to do everything he can to get as many people their cars before 12/31.

noleaf4me | 2018年10月19日

Tesla wants to make a huge year-end push.....I also assume only those with reservations can order the mid range Model 3? Anyone verify this?

CharleyBC | 2018年10月19日

"I also assume only those with reservations can order the mid range Model 3? Anyone verify this?"

False. It's there in the Website for all to buy!

noleaf4me | 2018年10月19日

@Charlie - surprising -- you would think they would give reservation holder hold-outs the first crack at this more affordable Model 3 before opening it up to all....

Sidk83 | 2018年10月19日

I feel if they can’t deliver the car before December 31, considering that you ordered it today, they should offer some incentive. I’m hoping for free autopilot if I don’t get the mid range in time.

Bighorn | 2018年10月19日

@charley
Definitely fewer cells as stated by EM. 56 kg lighter which works out to 848 cells if there are no dummies.

Tess is in | 2018年10月19日

I ordered yesterday without a reservation two hours after the news came out. I’m hoping for the full rebate but it’s not a dealbreaker.

RES IPSA | 2018年10月19日

If I were deciding on ordering and version of the Model 3 right now and I did not live in CA, I would just have it delivered to me in Fremont and drive it home. But a $200 one way ticket and drive it home. Make a road trip out of it

RES IPSA | 2018年10月19日

Any version of the Model 3, not and....

Also, I don't exactly know how the sale tax would be or the registration. If you can pay the tax in home state and register it there even though you picked it up in CA, then order your MR and pick it up in Fremont

Bighorn | 2018年10月19日

@RES
You’re obligated to pay CA’s 9+% sales tax.

RES IPSA | 2018年10月19日

Ok... then don't do that if your state has no sales tax or the tax is much lower

RES IPSA | 2018年10月19日

I guess you can get creative with a little research where to have it delivered to... Like Nevada or Arizona. Would still be much quicker than the East Coast

greg | 2018年10月19日

I think someone from Oregon said Oregon has a better sales tax situation and they will give anyone (temporary?) plates just by giving them the VIN (once you know it).

So maybe investigate if getting ti delivered to an Oregon DC might save you some $$$ and some time.

RES IPSA | 2018年10月19日

I think Oregon has zero sales tax. But I think you have to prove residency when buying a car. But I am not sure

Its all good. Order away.

pvs | 2018年10月19日

There are few existing LR RWD inventory available and local dealers in SoCal are offering $2500 discount. Note that they may have about 100-150 miles but will deliver in next few weeks. I got a cash price quote for $55,990 that includes destination charges. Tax, Title and License fees are based on your zip code and tax rate.

Bighorn | 2018年10月19日

Thinking back on people who’ve done local pickups to drive home elsewhere, Oregon and Arizona come to mind.

Sounds like there are M3 deals out there now..... who'da thought, 6 months back? You gotta like it....

RES IPSA | 2018年10月19日

It would be worth looking into if you are going to be able to use the full $7500 tax credit on your income this year and you were worried about not getting the car by 12/31/18. Would be worth it to spend 20-30 hours driving home and about $300-$400 to fly out there and drive back

brian | 2018年10月19日

For those assuming the MR is a software limited LR... it isn't. The weight is significantly less. I don't have the numbers handy NOW, but I looked at both last night and the LR was a couple-few hundred pounds heavier. They're pulling real cells and loading dummy cells into the packs. So, there's that.

I am also with those saying "Why would anyone (right now, at least) change from the LR to the MR post-order. YOu are almost ensuring you DO NOT get the car by 12/31, so even though you save $4000, you likely lose $3750. And depending on what Washington does, you COULD lose all $7500 (they want to pull the EV credits entirely in next year's budget. May not happen, but why gamble that?

I bought the RWD, LR with EAP this past Saturday. I was furious when I saw the MR announcement, but only for a few minutes. As long as I get the LR before 12/31, and I get my full $7500 refund, I'll very happy. Sure, you COULD save 4K and still get lucky and snatch the full $7500... but it's not very likely.

... as I sit here pressing F5 repeatedly waiting for my VIN...

Bighorn | 2018年10月19日

@brian
The whole point of putting out the MR now is to close more sales/deliveries in Q4. Doesn’t the order form say 4-8 week delivery window? Agree about the cells, at 56 kg lighter, that would be 848 2170s less than LR.

jamilworm | 2018年10月19日

@odub - You may be right. I sure hope so because I just placed my order for MR! For me the full tax credit is a deal breaker - if I don't get it then I'd want to wait for the SR. I called the local showroom to ask if I could cancel if they don't deliver by the end of the year. The person I talked to didn't know the answer, but they said they'd have someone call me back tomorrow.

I'm in California so hopefully that works in my favor.

FYI I got "base" $45000 config, I plan to color change wrap.

Sidk83 | 2018年10月19日

@jamilworm - I’m in the exact same situation as you. I tried calling Tesla as well earlier today but haven’t heard back. Lmk if you hear anything encouraging! Thanks

Tess is in | 2018年10月19日

They told me we won’t get our deposit back after we get a vin number.

jamilworm | 2018年10月19日

I hope it wouldn't come down to this, but I suppose if they miss the Dec 31 date and they won't refund the deposit then you could just be super critical and find some flaw during delivery and reject the delivery and maybe they'd give you a refund then.

Vsanva | 2018年10月19日

I’m in also and I am leaning to being ok on losing the $2.5k if it’s not here by year end.
It’s a gamble but I will also hold to that and just move on from Tesla.

Magic 8 Ball | 2018年10月19日

@Vsanva Do I have my math correct?

1) Get $7500 credit
2) Lose $2500
3) Get $3750 credit don't lose $2500

1 is your preferred plan. 2 is your bail out plan 3 should be your bail out plan, IMO.

Option 3 adds up to $6250. $7500-$6250=$1250. Is your plan really a plan to give up $2500 if the car is going to cost you net $1250 more?

Vsanva | 2018年10月19日

You make a damn good point.

But also the more time passes the more I have a chance of losing that Tesla fever and not spending $50k... $45k and being happy with what I got. That’s worth $2.5k possibly down the line.

Vsanva | 2018年10月19日

You make a damn good point.

But also the more time passes the more I have a chance of losing that Tesla fever and not spending $50k... $45k and being happy with what I got. That’s worth $2.5k possibly down the line.

kcheng | 2018年10月19日

I would just add that if a bill does pass extending the full credit to 2022, then it typically would be retroactive. Since, we don't take the 2018 credits until early 2019, Congress does have some time to work out a compromise. Unfortunately, we won't know until after the mid-terms, and alot can happen, and if the leadership in either house changes, then the agenda changes with it. Having said that, I think the Dems would support extending the credit, and that the Reps would also support a bill that seemingly supports American jobs at Tesla and Chevy.

ebmcs03 | 2018年10月19日

Wooo so no more Long Range? They just got rid of them just like that?
Software limit the LR?

jul.lysenko | 2018年10月20日

I placed my order on Oct 18th. I am in Texas and I am very anxious about getting my car before the year end. If I won't get 7.5K tax credit, I will feel like was f***ed over.

Sidk83 | 2018年10月21日

Has anyone got a delivery date or VIN assigned for the mid range yet?

Kikujiro | 2018年10月21日

Medium will not be software limited Long Range. The specs are already released and Medium Range RWD weight is 3,686lbs and LR RWD is 3,838, 152lbs difference. They are using less cells. Someone calculated 672 cells less than current 4416. This is smart because the cells, are in heavy demand and they are using less cells to make more cars. 7 cars with MR vs 6 cars LR.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 2018年10月21日

Take your pick...

· IT IS CERTAIN
· AS I SEE IT, YES
· REPLY HAZY, TRY AGAIN
· DON'T COUNT ON IT

So, yes -- you certainly shouldn't count on it. ;-)

Pages