Forums

Activating New spare key card for a Model 3

Activating New spare key card for a Model 3

I got 2 new Key Cards for $22 at Service Center. Then I asked for help with activating the Key Card with my Model 3. THREE service
center employees finagled with the car, the owners manual and ultimately said I need to set up an appointment to get a technician to look at it!!
Help

StealthP3D | 2018年12月11日

You go to the locks menu, hit the little plus, and follow the directions, it's that easy! No need to take it to service, you do need one of the original let's though to verify.

CST | 2018年12月11日

When my wife lost her key card we had all the service come out and program a new one for us. He also remove the old one. Total cost, $7.50. I'm not sure if the laptop connected to our car was a requirement because it was a new key card that wasn't associated with our account.

StealthP3D | 2018年12月11日

I should mention I'm on 46.2, and I just programmed a card today.

geo.dellinger | 2019年6月4日

I am about to follow the above directions and activate 2 spare keys. Will check back in with results.

okcazure | 2019年6月4日

I just programmed (2) spare cards last week. It's quick and easy to find in the menu...

biftucker | 2019年7月5日

I tried unsuccessfully to reach service center, and no one answered my chat request from Tesla. I again did a google search and found the solution here. Thanks you guys, hope I can help you all some time.

It would have been sooo nice if the cards came with instructions.

Thanks for explaining the procedure.

David | 2019年7月26日

I've lost my backup key card. Give the changing protocols what do informed folks believe to be the best way to get up and running with an new replacement? Thank you in advance! D

sheldon.mike1010 | 2019年7月26日

Locate existing keycard. Confirm that it is recognized in Locks on menu.
Hit the plus + add a key.
When asked, touch old and new cards to console spot.
Voila! done!

shawnls1 | 2019年10月1日

Can you still program new cards if you've lost both of your originals?

hokiegir1 | 2019年10月1日

@shawn - I think you'd need a service center for that, since you need a card to program a card/phone.

shawnls1 | 2019年10月1日

@hokiegirl1 - Thanks. We've only owned the car for a few weeks and totally misplaced the original card keys.

rawilbanks1996 | 2019年12月23日

Can you activate a new key fob using your phone? Lost both key cards so I can’t use it to activate the new fob. Ideas?

aric | 2020年1月2日

@rawilbanks1996 I’m sitting in my Tesla right now trying to program the two replacement key cards. It won’t work without an original key card so your answer is no, you can’t do it with just the phone key. Bummer. I’ll have to call the service center tomorrow.

Olbair | 2020年1月29日

can't activate my new replacement key cards

peterdhorst | 2020年2月11日

OK, how is it that we have to support one another figuring out how to activate keys for our luxury cars???? They couldn't be bothered to--God forbid--include directions with the keys they sell us???? I"ve been unbelievably appalled by every single aspect of Tesla customer support since buying my car.

Haggy | 2020年2月11日

"OK, how is it that we have to support one another figuring out how to activate keys for our luxury cars????"

You don't.

"They couldn't be bothered to--God forbid--include directions with the keys they sell us???? "

They do.

There's an owner's manual for the car. You can get a PDF of it online using your Tesla account. There's also a full version of it built into the car. Plus, if you go to the settings screen (that part might not be obvious, but I assume that many people would know that the setting screen is where you control settings) and go to the keys area, it should be fairly self evident because it tells you how to do it.

From the manual:

"Adding and Removing Keys

Adding a new key card or key fob:
Note: If adding a key fob, ensure the key fob is
at room temperature. Pairing may be
unsuccessful if the key fob is cold.

1. On the touchscreen, touch Controls >
Locks then touch + in the Keys section.

2. Scan your new key card or key fob on the
key reader behind the cup holders on the
top of the center console. After the new
key card or key fob is recognized, remove
it from the key reader.

3. Scan an already-authenticated (i.e. already
has access to the vehicle) key card or key
fob on the key reader behind the cup
holders on the top of the center console.

4. When complete, the key list on the
touchscreen displays the newly authenticated
key. You can customize its
name by touching the associated pencil
icon."

When somebody adds a card key to your car, you will also get a message on your phone through the app. So if a valet or somebody else ever did it, you'd know about it and could go to the screen and remove it.

smedros | 2020年3月12日

Lost the original keycards. All instructions on app and manual assumes that you have at least 1 original keycard to add the new ones. Do I need to schedule with service in order to activate in my case?

Thanks

EVRider | 2020年3月12日

@smedros: You'll probably need service to set you up. You need at least one keycard to program another card or phone key.

artsci | 2020年3月17日

I’ve lost my original key cards. I have a key fob that works very well. Can I program the new key cards with the fob or will I have to go to my service center? Any advice would be appreciated.

EVRider | 2020年3月17日

@artsci: According to the manual, you can use your key fob to set up another key card or phone key.