Forums

Charging.

Charging.

Hey, I am soon ordering a tesla model 3 and wanted to install a nema 6-20 plug in my carport, what kinda price would i be looking at spending?

reed_lewis | 2019年1月21日

It really depends on how far away the outlet is from the electric box in your place. If it right beside it, then it should be about $3-400 or maybe less. If it is further away, and they have to run wires through walls, or whatever, then it will cost more.

Yodrak. | 2019年1月21日

"wanted to install a nema 6-20 plug in my carport"

If you need to install an electric outlet to charge your Model 3, why not install one that can provide more than a minimum level of charging for only a little more cost? Or are you constrained by the capacity of you service entrance or existing main panel?

DTsea | 2019年1月21日

Didnt know tesla even had a 6-20 adapter

Earl and Nagin ... | 2019年1月21日

You may be able to install a 6-20 on an existing 120v line by just replacing the 5-20 (120v) outlet with a 6-20 outlet, then replace the breaker with a 240 volt one. The 120v line would need to be a dedicated line with no other outlets on it though. That solution would be very cheap (<$100 for the new outlet and breaker).
If you have to run a new line, I recommend you go for something larger than 20 amps. A NEMA 14-50 is the recommended solution since your Model 3 already comes with a NEMA 14-50 plug.

kcheng | 2019年1月21日

it'd be almost as cheap to install a NEMA 14-50 as a 6-20. I installed a 6-20 for my Volt, cost me $50, since I had the 10gauge wire already, leftover. When I got my Model 3, I switched everything out for a NEMA 14-50, Eaton box, double-pole breakers, 6 gauge wire, conduit. It cost me $75 at Lowes. Of course, I only needed 8ft of wire. That's your big variable, as wire runs about $3 a foot.

jordanrichard | 2019年1月21日

Like insurance rates, it all depends on your exact situation.

TeslaTap.com | 2019年1月21日

This charging guide for the Model 3 that I wrote up provides a lot more detail on options and connections: https://teslatap.com/articles/tesla-model-3-home-charging-guide/

For the S/X, there is another guide: https://teslatap.com/articles/home-charging-wiring-guide/

Pricing is all over the map and hard to guess without knowing a lot more details. Seems every installation is different, and local codes and rates can dramatically affect the price too.

jacob44stewart.js | 2019年1月21日

The box I have is only a two pole system. I live at ym moms house as I am only 19 and Im not replacing her whole box

reed_lewis | 2019年1月22日

Most residential power is a two pole system. The two poles to ground are 120V and the power across the two poles is 240V.

You can get whatever amperage you want from that two pole system (as long as the incoming power can handle it).

So the differences between a 6-20 and a 14-50 is the amperage of the breaker and the wire between the circuit breaker box and the outlet (in addition to the outlet of course).

But 19 Y/O and you are buying a Tesla? Wow. What kind of job do you have that allows you afford a nice car like that? at 19, I was driving a hand me down car.

Yodrak. | 2019年1月22日

"Most residential power is a two pole system."

I agree, but ...

"The two poles to ground are 120V and the power across the two poles is 240V."

The two poles are ground and 240 volts, tapped in the middle, so the single pole voltage is 120 volts, either from ground to the tap or from the tap to the 240 volt pole. The voltage (not power) across the two poles - skipping the middle tap - is 240 volts.

Maybe we are saying the same thing, but are using the word "pole" differently?

TeslaTap.com | 2019年1月22日

Perhaps this picture I made will help explain incoming voltages: https://teslatap.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/voltage-diagram_720.jpg

Yodrak. | 2019年1月22日

The diagram is good, but would be more helpful if you went one step further back in the distribution system and showed how that high-voltage side of the transformer was fed. If I remember correctly, the input to that transformer is single phase, phase to ground, as is the output. Back at the distribution substation is a 3-phase transformer where the input from a three-phase transmission or subtransmission line connects to a delta-connected high-voltage winding and the low-voltage winding is a grounded Y winding.