Forums

"Standard Battery available in 4-6 months"

"Standard Battery available in 4-6 months"

Since it's been showing that for 6 months in my configuration page, does it mean I traveled back in time?
Am I 6 months younger?

Anyone has newspaper so I can check the date?

andy.connor.e | 2019年2月20日

Everyone has their focus on Tesla bringing the $35k version to market. Its like, everytime Tesla accomplishes a ground breaking milestone, everyone is still like "its not good enough". Whelp, it'll never be good enough because thats human nature. All of you whining about the $35k version of Model 3 may find yourselves more attracted to the Model Y.

Teslanene | 2019年2月20日

Isn’t the model Y suppose to start over 40k why would they be more interested? I thought all the 35k fan base just wanted a commuter car.

kevin_rf | 2019年2月20日

They want a Model X P100D for the price of a used honda civic

Lonestar10_1999 | 2019年2月20日

@andy- “whining” is not a fair characterization. Reservation holders demand Tesla live up to it’s end of the bargain when it accepted $1k interest free. There is no emotion here, it’s just a business transaction.

The only thing that’s up for debate is whether Tesla’s current strategy is consistent with good faith business ethics. What will it take to compel Tesla to deliver on its promise from the M3 initial reveal?

Maxxer | 2019年2月20日

that’s perfect, I don’t need the Model 3 anymore.
We are a family of 6 now that 3 years have passed since I deposited for Model 3.
Time to put a deposit on a Model Y. Now I’ll have 6 kids when it comes out in 5 years with the 7 passengers option.
I guess I’ll just buy a Model X when my profit on selling stocks will cover it.

beaver | 2019年2月20日

In related news...

Soon you will be able to lease a model 3. Does the price matter that much anymore $42 vs $35?

WantMY | 2019年2月21日

"Soon you will be able to lease a model 3. Does the price matter that much anymore $42 vs $35?" $35K is not leasing crowd, they like to own for long time.

kevin_rf | 2019年2月21日

+1 WantMY Model 3. I agree, while I opted for the the more expensive AWD Non Performance. I kept my last Prius 14 years, 380,000 miles. If a car doesn't last me 10 years, it's a lemon. 48 and this is only my fourth car.

95dawg | 2019年2月21日

With the expected high residual valuation for M3, it will be a good car to lease assuming decent rates.

As for $35k crowd, it is a different story for Tesla. More people are leasing than ever before: Two out of three cars sold by luxury brands like Audi, BMW, and MB are leased including entry level luxury models in the $30k-$40k range. Demographic that is driving the leasing uptick are older buyers and Millenials. It's easy to see younger generations as strivers who want a Tesla, and monthly lease payment in the $400-$500 range makes M3 SR well within reach.

For people who buy/finance certain brand/model like CR-V and Rav, general rule is they hold on to their car long term, but break it down to brand and segment - entry level luxury car from premium brand - M3 in the $35k-$40k range should do well in lease market.

Shock | 2019年2月21日

It's been 4-6 months away since 2017.

andy.connor.e | 2019年2月21日

Clearly they are having difficulty getting the price down there. They've had 2 profitable months back to back, literally the first time ever. The sky is falling, everything is horrible, nothing positive to appreciate. Calm down.

andy.connor.e | 2019年2月21日

2 profitable quarters**

jordanrichard | 2019年2月21日

Just a interesting data point about leasing Mercedes. On Long Island, a staggering 90% of Mercedes are rented....whoops I mean leased. Here in CT it is something like 65%.

Leasing lets people live beyond their means. Meaning, they get into car they could not afford to buy/finance otherwise.

Leasing IMHO is corrosive to any brand because there is literal ownership and associated loyalty to the brand. In the short term it makes the sales figures/balance sheets look great but al OEMs are now realizing that it is costing them sales to repeat customers.

jordanrichard | 2019年2月21日

I meant, ".... there is literally no ownership.......

kcheng | 2019年2月21日

@Evo, so when you Montrealers want to go skiing at Tremblant, and don't have a car, do you head to the airport and take a shuttle to Tremblant? I'm only asking cause when I was little, I used to live in Ste. Agathe-des-Monts.

bj | 2019年2月22日

@Shock - “It's been 4-6 months away since 2017”

Nice to see you back Shock, as acerbic as ever. Can’t wait for you and @M8B to tee off.

minervo.florida | 2019年2月22日

The Bolt is $44k, Tesla should never go to $35k. The Hyundai Kona is $44k.

ODWms | 2019年2月22日

I agree. He should have never made the promise. I wouldn’t mind if Tesla came out with a cheaper, alternative model altogether. But to get the car down to where it would need to be to reach $35k would just cheapen it in my opinion. I do think it’s going to happen though.

kevin_rf | 2019年2月22日

Without that $35k promise, I would have never put my $1k down on 3/31/2016. Instead I would have bought another Prius. Instead I limped the '05 Prius across the finish line. It died two days before I took delivery.

That said, I did blow my budget opting for a Red AWD NP 18" Aero's with EAP.

Nic727 | 2019年2月22日

My thought on the removal of the standard battery is the fact that with the new battery breakthrough they were able to get longer range at a lowest price.

1. I think the mid-range will have a lower price and will be called standard while the long range will have longer range. A new mid-range could come in between with the same battery pack as the long range, but software limited.

2. Or the mid-range will just be less expensive and the long range too. Also a non-premium interior option to lower the price more?

andy.connor.e | 2019年2月22日

I'll say it again and again. Those who are waiting for the standard range $35k version, if you wait until its actually available you'll pay $35k for it. If you get Mid-range RIGHT NOW, the incentives that are still around will make it essentially $35k. Incentives will be gone by the time standard range is available, if it ever becomes so.

Initiate broken record.

TabascoGuy | 2019年2月22日

@broken record. Keep in mind that some of those waiting for the $35k version were actually hoping to pay $27.5k (or less) for that car.

If people really think that, then you should probably start considering that the incentives you're waiting for will be gone by then.

kevin_rf | 2019年2月22日

Don't know about all those "incentives", just did my taxes and I still owe the fed $2900... only $1200 less then before I added in the $7500 Ev credit into Turbo Tax.

Teslanene | 2019年2月22日

@kevin did you not make enough income to take advantage of the full credit?

kevin_rf | 2019年2月22日

Trust me, I did, but the little how much I owe box on turbo tax only dropped by $1200.00 when I entered it. Tax rebate != to $7500.00 off your taxes.

Going to be digging through deeper to see what is going on, thing I hate about these online tax programs, you really can't dig in to see all the numbers.

Teslanene | 2019年2月22日

If your tax liability was more than $7500 I don’t see why it be $1200 less after adding the Credit. Something doesn’t seem right you might want to try another online tax program to confirm. Look at your tax summary.

Turbo Tax has always worked for me. But i know some people that have used Turbo Tax and had to add a couple extra items and it absolutely does not work.

TabascoGuy | 2019年2月22日

@andy They "were" thinking that, I don't think they are anymore.

Maxxer | 2019年2月23日

@kcheng
I’m a member of Car2go,
Communauto and Auto-mobile
0$/year subscription, the parking is right at the corner of my street, 50$ a day if you wanna rent a prius for the whole day. 15$/day if you pay 200$/year for a different subscription. There is literally no point in car ownership anymore these days for the newer generation if you live in Montreal. Not if you live in the suburbs, then you need a car for every family member.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 2019年2月23日

Leasing is mostly stupid. It is a horrible way to 'buy' a car, and perfect way to rent one. Alex from 'E for Electric' is largely in favor of leasing, he has videos on YouTube explaining why. The Cafillac ATS could be leased. They couldn't give them away. It was outsold by the Tesla Model S the last three years. Unless a car costs tremendously less than MSRP to build, leasing it is a bad business decision for a manufacturer. Because that forces the car into a 'loss leader' position within their inventory. Thus, you hope to 'make up the money on the backside' rather being profitable from the 'sale' at the outset.

thedrisin | 2019年2月23日

Leasing will probably hurt resale value as well. With the increasing number of Model 3s on the road and inevitable changing tech, leasing will be more attractive. I certainly would have leased in a heartbeat

jordanrichard | 2019年2月23日

Dealers just can’t resist the easy money and increased “sales” (to the leasing companies), but that is coming back to hunt them because they end up getting a flood of off lease cars that are only 3 years old which not only hurts new car sales, but it brings down the used value because there are so many of them out there.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 2019年2月24日

thedrisin: Oddly, it seems that Alex's motivation for leasing is his expectation that he can make enough from a later sale to cover both residual value and any mileage penalty. I still think leasing a car is stupid.

thedrisin | 2019年2月24日

@ReD. I have never leased a car but I don't think it is stupid. There are pros and cons of leasing or buying. Biggest downside of owning is getting a reasonable used or trade-in value. Model 3 may be a dime a dozen in a few years. My last car I had for 13 years and was almost worthless when i tried to sell it. You just have to do the math and decide for yourself which is worth it. It will be interesting what Tesla makes the residual value for the lease.

purepwnage5000 | 2019年2月24日

Elon should just say "My bad, I got a little excited at the reveal and said 35 when I should have said 42. Bottom line, we can't build it for 35, and even if we did, it'd be so stripped down that you wouldn't want it. And even then, you'd buy the options it does not have and jack the price anyway, so just take it for 42 and shut up about it".

Or maybe that's being too honest?

Tuning In | 2019年2月24日

I’ve leased my last EV’s knowing there were better cars coming soon. On a side note leasing isn’t stupid, it’s also good for hedging. At year 3 you get to decide if you want to keep the car of move on and you can negotiate on the price at that point as well. They can provide an incentive for you to keep the car. With I woulf have ended up paying less that if I had purchased and taken a loan.

Anyhow, leasing a Model 3 thinking that tech will get better didn’t make sense. Switch to what in two to three years from now? Model Y? Umm, No thanks. So my next daily beater might very well be a redesigned Model 3 in 7-10 years from now, so buying makes 100% sense.

thedrisin | 2019年2月24日

3 years is a long time for tech. There will probably be longer range batteries and faster charging, more car tech and autonomous driving features. There will be increasing choice and competition. Like smartphones, may be it out of date every few years. Hopefully, I will be able to get equivalent of lease residual value for trade-in in 3 years.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 2019年2月24日

thedrisin: I have never leased a car. It was tempting to get a FIAT 500e back when you could get one for about $100 per month, but the teeny tiny 10,000 mile per annum allowance is something I would have blown through pretty quickly back when I lived in Los Angeles. It wouldn't have been able to make a round trip to visit Friends or Relatives in Apple Valley, Riverside, or Orange County from my house. I own cars because I actually drive them. I have never sold a car or traded one in. The amount offered by anyone for a used vehicle is far less than the percentage I would consider worthwhile. The 'Residual Value' for a leased vehicle and the penalty for mileage overage are laughable. Making either expense ridiculous for me.

purepwnage5000: No. Elon Musk should say no such thing. Every Model 3 Tesla has sold thus far has been worth every dime. What car on the market delivered more of value for less? Acura ILX? Mercedes-Benz CSA? Nope. When Tesla releases a $35,000 version of Model 3 it will still be a more worthwhile purchase than any vehicle from any automobile manufacturer that costs less.

My current car, which I've had since 2011, was paid off in full when I acquired it. I won't be trading it when I get a Tesla either. Maybe I'll give it to one of my Nieces or Nephews.

Lonestar10_1999 | 2019年2月24日

The rule of thumb is buying is cheaper than leasing if you plan on keeping the car for a long time. If you simply treat the M3 as a daily driver and disregard the tech gadgets, then things like reliability, longevity, and cost of ownership are the most important attributes.

For me, there are many choices in buying a reliable and fun to drive car at $35k. It would be a shame for Tesla to miss the $35k price point goal. Eventually everyone holding out for the promised $35k M3 will “need” a car and will be unable to wait indefinitely and unwilling to pay more. The prospective customer will grow frustrated with Tesla and Tesla will lose the immediate sale and likely future sales. Hopefully Elon can pull a rabbit out of a hat and offer the M3 at $35k.

WantMY | 2019年2月24日

Leasing is always a loosing proposition. The only good leases were when dealers discounted EV lease with feds $7.5K EV rebates priced into the lease offer (Leaf, sometimes Bolt). Since Feds rebate is only half now and is going away soon, such lease offer would not be as attractive. Besides, I am not aware of Tesla ever discounted leases with feds rebate priced in.

Tuning In | 2019年2月24日

@Red regarfing mileage overage, it’s stupid not to negotiate higher mileage allowances. Of course no one at the stealership will offer this, but usually that means they would reduce the residual a couple of percentages. Instead they will “sell” extra miles to hit someone at the end on the lease. If you do you homework, you can get your TCO at lease turn in to be better than trade in at the end of 3 years. Leasing you pay interest on the depreciation, not on the total loan. You pay sales tax only on the lease payment. And in CA where you always pay full sales tax on the new vehicle with no deduct for trade in, leasing will make more sense.

Maxxer | 2019年2月24日

well leasing instead of paying cash a 70k car makes sense if you put low miles on it and do good stock picking with that 68k you have after the first month.

I personally will never work to pay for a car since I consider it a luxury and I don’t need it to function on a daily basis. Anything considered luxury in my life is strictly covered by interest earnings. Life us too short to work for expandable stuff.

Maxxer | 2019年2月27日

$58,6000 CAD to order right now
still showing 4-6 months on my page
Thursday will probably give us a bit more information

andy.connor.e | 2019年2月28日

When you lease, you pay the taxes up front anyway. If you're that worried about cost, buy a used car.

M3BlueGeorgia | 2019年2月28日

Tesla still need the margin from the $5K "Premium Interior". Its more important than selling a smaller battery configuration.

I really hope Tesla only sell the SR variant to a few people, because many people who really need a decent range will make the mistake of buying the SR to save $3K, and then they'll continually whine on the forums about having to continually stopping on road trips to charge.

Really, I'm not looking forward to all the future whining from SR owners and I promise to point out they shouldn't have been so damn cheap and should have got the MR.

Tuning In | 2019年2月28日

@andy.connor.e I"m not not sure about other states, but in California you pay sales tax only on your lease payment and monthly, when you pay your lease payment. You don't pay it on value of the car nor do you pay it up front.

Tuning In | 2019年2月28日

@M3BlueGeorgia It is a predicament. I can understand that some people who drives 10 miles to work and a little bit more around town the during the weekend, who would be fine with the SR. But, there are others where they can only afford the SR, where the range becomes an issue due to their routine and situation. Imagine someone who lives 35+ miles from work, lives where it gets cold during the winter, and lives in an apartment with no ability to charge at home. Then there is the SC that charges at a lower rate for the SR and now is congested because of other SR's that need to use it regularly. That would get old fast. And then they come here to bash the car.

hokiegir1 | 2019年2月28日

I'm not looking forward to next winter's "OMG! I'm only getting 100 miles of range! What happened to my 220????!!?!?!? I commute 185 each way and have no charging anywhere!!!! This car is a lemon! I want my money back!!!!!!!!!" posts.

And now I've put Meat Loaf's Life is a Lemon in my own head....so hopefully someone else's too.

Maxxer | 2019年2月28日

« Payment Method
You have chosen to pay for your Tesla in full.

Total

Car Price
$47,600.00
Amount Due
$52,151.56
Includes taxes, fees and payments
Pricing Details

Car Price $47,600.00
Rear-Wheel Drive Included
Standard Black Interior Included
Solid Black Included
Standard Interior Included