Forums

How do you use your blind spot feature on Model 3?

How do you use your blind spot feature on Model 3?

I am a new owner of M3 and having difficulty getting used to the blind spot warning feature for changing lanes. Do you solely rely on the monitor screen to change lanes? Do you do it the old fashion way and ignore the monitor? Do you look at both? I am used to have the light and audible warning right on the side mirrors. Trying to look at both mirror and monitor is something I have not been able to manage. I don't understand why at least Tesla does not give option of having audible warning, as the lane color changes to Red! That should be easy to do.

EVRider | 2019年2月12日

The audible warning was added to the most recent update (2019.4) which receive at some point (no one knows when). You should use screen first, and if shows nothing in your blind spot, you still need to check the mirrors and look over your shoulder, because the blind spot monitor can miss something.

surfpearl | 2019年2月12日

You can check the screen first, but do not rely solely on it. Always look at the side mirror AND turn your head for visual confirmation.

sroh | 2019年2月12日

'Always look at the side mirror AND turn your head for visual confirmation.'

IMHO, this is dangerous and unnecessary. If you position your side view mirrors correctly, you should be able to see your blind spot in the mirrors without having to turn your head. At most, just a slight forward lean of the head should give you all the visibility/info you need without having to take your eyes away from the front and risking rear-ending someone who slams on their brakes.

Of course the dynamic changes with EAP, but still.

Brian B | 2019年2月12日

I think a good way is screen, mirror-to-shoulder swoop, then change lanes.

EAPme | 2019年2月12日

I completely ignore the screen for blind spot monitoring. My previous car had blind spot indicators embedded into the side view mirrors, which was a nice touch, but not necessary.

Technology aids aside, I drive with my side view mirrors adjusted further away from centerline than most people. It helps cover the blindspot, and with a little head lean/tilt can reveal cars that are hiding.

A minor but related gotcha is that Auto-tilt mirrors, when reversing, doesn't work so well using this side view mirror setup.

jlouie_01 | 2019年2月12日

I was changing from the HOV lane yesterday, checked mirror for traffic and turn head to be sure lane was clear but just as I started to move to my right, a driver at my 2 0'clock position was coming from 2 lanes over but there was no audible so one has to be careful as always be alert.

Also driving a week earlier with navigate on auto pilot and the driver on my left started to drift into my lane and did not get an audible alert but I was quick enough to take evasive action. So driving with these new features is still a learning experience so always be alert.

CST | 2019年2月12日

I've never been able to train my brain to look to the middle (screen) to change a lane, so I can't use it. But once, I tried initiating a lane change on autopilot when I thought the lane was clear and it caught the issue and prevented the lane change. Not sure what happened, my guess is someone came in from an angle. Typical CA drivers, never aware of how their crappy habits can impact those around them.

Rt002k | 2019年2月12日

jlouie - were you under the impression that there would be an audible alert in those scenarios?

sroh | 2019年2月12日

+1 CST. I also haven't been able to train my brain to use the screen to switch lanes. Old dog here. Just like it took me a long time to trust the LCD and backup camera when in reverse. But I've learned to do that (much easier in the Model 3 with the huge, high-res screen), so there is still hope.

I also agree with having to watch our for bad drivers. In fact, the thing about EAP and TACC that makes me the most nervous is the car has no issues with being in another driver's blind spot. I've learned over the years to avoid the blind spot, avoid changing lanes when another vehicle two lanes over may change lanes, etc. Basic defensive driving habits. I'd like to see them implement an algorithm to avoid those situations.

howard | 2019年2月12日

Never look at the screen. It is useless and to me dangerous. I just glance back and check mirrors. One of the lacking features on a great car. Need side mirror indicators and/or audible like all my other vehicles.

gmr6415 | 2019年2月12日

I watch the mirrors, quickly confirm in the screen and then back to the mirrors. Sort of like the rule of thumb in carpentry. Measure twice, cut once.

EVRider | 2019年2月12日

The touchscreen might fail to show a nearby vehicle, but I don’t think it will show a vehicle that isn’t really there. So, if the touchscreen shows a vehicle in you blind spot, no need to look further.

Hal Fisher | 2019年2月12日

I wish the field of view in the mirrors was wider, maybe convex. I live in san diego area a motorcycles are idiots with their high speed lane splitting. Can’t see on the side, and further out at the same time. Just super dangerous. Wish the motorcyclists were informed of how they are putting their lives in other people hands. I’ve already seen one killed right in front of me and know of another that was run over by a friend. Horribly stupid to drive in such a crowded area as reckless as they do.

Hal Fisher | 2019年2月12日

Oops, went off subject, but yea, better mirrors.

RedPillSucks | 2019年2月13日

@sroh For some taller people who have the seat moved further back, its practically impossible to "correctly" adjust the mirrors as they don't go far enough out, so turning ones head when checking the mirror blind spot is unavoidable.

SalisburySam | 2019年2月14日

Blind spot feature? There’s a blind spot feature on my Model 3? Son of a gun! No, don’t use it, I just look outside around me.

wiboater4 | 2019年2月14日

I look at mirror and then over shoulder. I sat in a ford Edge last weekend that a friend bought and he had the mirror lighted warning. I'd love to have that but would still look over my shoulder. Maybe they'll do it in the model Y.

sroh | 2019年2月14日

My bad for generalizing. I just see too many people unnecessarily look over their shoulder because they don't position their mirrors properly and don't trust the angles. I recall earlier threads complaining about the mirrors not being able to be angled out far enough for tall drivers.

jvcesare | 2019年2月14日

"Forget Everything You Know About Rear View Mirrors"
https://blog.esurance.com/forget-everything-you-know-about-rearview-mirr...

surfpearl | 2019年2月14日

@sroh - Looking over one's shoulder prior to changing lanes is a safe-driving practice and should always be encouraged. Your interpretation that too many people unnecessarily do it because their side mirrors are not positioned correctly is misinformed. If you looked over your shoulder you could easily verify whether it's safe to change lanes when there is a car two lanes over from you.
Also, if you worry about the rear-ending hazard should the car in front slam on their brakes while you're looking over your shoulder for 1-2 seconds prior to changing lanes then you're not keeping the proper distance in the first place, i.e., not driving safely.
You say you drive defensively, that's good, so do the same when commenting about driving.

jowilson8888 | 2019年2月14日

I wish for either warning lights on side mirrors (probably not a possible add-on) or an audible warning when changing lanes. I have both a new Model 3 and a 6yr old Toyota RAV4. The RAV has blind spot indicators on the mirrors and it makes a huge difference. One still needs to be aware of cars in other lanes, but this is a great safety feature and I'm surprised the Tesla doesn't have it. Agree with others that the center screen is not the right place to put a blind spot indicator! So pinning hopes on a future software/firmware update.

sroh | 2019年2月14日

@surfpearl,
Didn't mean any disrespect. I was just stating my opinion, just like you're stating yours.
You make a good point about being able to see cars two lanes over. That is absolutely valid.
But I disagree with you about the 1-2 seconds. If I'm dong my math correctly, I calculate more than 200 feet at 70 mph. Sure it's safe, but that is not practical, at least here in the bay area.
I completely agree with the link jjvcesare posted.

In any case, my apologies if I offended; that was not my intent. Let's agree to respectfully disagree.

Rt002k | 2019年2月14日

jowilson - audible indicators are reportedly coming with 2019.4 or later SW. It looks to be in early release now.

billlake2000 | 2019年2月16日

I took my grandmother, who is blind, for a ride, and I pointed out to her when my screen showed cars in my blind spot. She giggled with delight.

Hal Fisher | 2019年2月16日

Convex is needed because a normal mirror cannot show enough, like a motorcycles coming along side, or a car coming two lanes over.

RedShift | 2019年2月16日

My mirrors are positioned away from the body. Fills in the blind spots, no need to turn my head. I have never bothered to use the screen to guide line changes. Seems dangerous when mirrors are right there and more reliable.

thedrisin | 2019年2月17日

Mirrors alone cannot rid blind spots no matter how well positioned. There are older threads with a link to a video with an expert demonstrating how to properly adjust your mirrors. If you watch carefully the is a brief instant that the approaching vehicle disappears into a blind spot. You can minimize the blind spot but not completely eliminate it. That is why you need to look over your shoulder as well. The monitor on the center screen distracts the driver from looking at the side. Visible lights in the mirrors on many vehicles is a very helpful aid. The audible signal coming in the current upgrade should be an improvement. Since the blind spot monitor depends on the use of cameras, would be nice if the actual video could somehow be displayed on the sides.

jimglas | 2019年2月17日

I keep the rear camera up on the screen

ODWms | 2019年2月17日

Me too.

billlake2000 | 2019年2月17日

I loaned my car to my blind grandma, who told me she sure likes nav on auto pilot

calvin940 | 2019年2月17日

Never trust mirrors. Over the shoulder is required to be the safest.

ngogdgl | 2019年3月29日

Does anyone know when the update version 2019.4 coming out? I would like to have the “blind spot audible warning feature” on my M 3.

Gary N.

ksusweep | 2019年4月3日

Hopefully people realize not to trust it completely. If it showed red, don't change lane. If not, check the old fashion way to make sure it's safe.

Same with the auto lane change feature. Don't confirm on auto lane change unless you believe it's safe to do so.

ksusweep | 2019年4月3日

Hopefully people realize not to trust it completely. If it showed red, don't change lane. If not, check the old fashion way to make sure it's safe.

Same with the auto lane change feature. Don't confirm on auto lane change unless you believe it's safe to do so.

Effopec | 2019年4月3日

I wish the red lines were passive - there if a car is in the blind spot whether blinker is on or not.

Well what I really wish is for the US to allow rear cameras instead of mirrors. We could get a much wider field of view with a camera and a small screen at the top front of the door.

hughesmintzer | 2019年9月13日

How do I set the Blind Spot warning to its most aggressive setting? I, too, am having trouble going from a car with (great) blind spot indicators in the side mirrors. I, too, want the lines on the monitor to be red anytime there is a car in my blind spot, whether I’m signaling to changes lanes or not. I find that, even when I’m using it exactly as I should be, the warning system does not pick up cars in the blind spot. I love my new car, but I’m very disappointed in this feature.

spuzzz123 | 2019年9月13日

I don’t use it unless I’m on autopilot and then it’s just to confirm I’m not turning my signal on with someone already there. I feel like it does detect cars very accurately that could be in my blind spot.

But the display is not great if I’m driving myself and want to change lanes. I don’t like checking my mirrors and center console. Perhaps an audible alert would be better (which I thought they had but I’ve never heard it). Maybe I’ll recheck my settings to see if it’s something I need to enable.

cybergrafx | 2019年9月13日

@TESLA: I wish the side camera view would show on screen when you use the turn signal.

I was in an Uber last month that had this feature and it seemed very efficient. Seems like a simple software update for Tesla.

howard | 2019年9月13日

hughesmintzer

How do I set the Blind Spot warning to its most aggressive setting? THERE IS NO ADJUSTMENT.

I, too, am having trouble going from a car with (great) blind spot indicators in the side mirrors. TOTALLY AGREE!

I find that, even when I’m using it exactly as I should be, the warning system does not pick up cars in the blind spot. I love my new car, but I’m very disappointed in this feature. IT IS ONE OF THE POORER SYSTEMS ON THE CAR.

EVRider | 2019年9月13日

@spuzzz123: You only get the chime if you ignore the blind spot warning and start to change lanes anyway.

@hughesmintzer: No, you should not see red lane markers whenever there’s a car next to you, since it would be distracting and would diminish the usefulness of the feature because you would learn to ignore it. It only matters if there’s a car in your blind spot if you want to change lanes, and then you should use your blinker.

spuzzz123 | 2019年9月13日

Howard what exactly do you love about it? And don’t say the ability to charge at home/office.

howard | 2019年9月13日

spuzzz123,

What has that got to do with the facts? My Volt has blind spot indicators in my side mirrors that work flawlessly. My wife's Q3 has blind spot indicators in her side mirrors that work flawlessly.

This is the case for most other owners as well. Their previous or other current cars have blind spot indicators built into the side mirrors that work flawlessly.

The Tesla Model 3 does not. The current system of looking at the display is not convenient nor as intuitive/effective as looking down to check the display. I as others have pointed out have found the display to not be reliable at all.

I don't use it and personally, don't think it should be on the car the way it is currently designed and implemented.

lbowroom | 2019年9月13日

He asked what you love about your Tesla.

howard | 2019年9月13日

lbowroom,

Yes, and my answer to him was "What has that got to do with the facts?"

Same question now to you. "What has that got to do with the facts?"

It is all just constant deflection and denial. You guys don't deny it instead you just try to somehow blame me for the glaring issue.

lbowroom | 2019年9月13日

You said you love the car. Why won't you give us a quote about what you love?

spuzzz123 | 2019年9月13日

It shouldn’t be a loaded question, Howard. You’re the one who said you love it.

spuzzz123 | 2019年9月13日

You’re being deceptive to casual forum visitors like the op. You have a litany of serious complaints and ZERO PRAISE about any features. So to say you love it is a deliberate deception.

andy.connor.e | 2019年9月13日

@howard

If i can say this properly, asking about what you love about the car because its disingenuous to keep silent about everything you LOVE about the car, but be vocally outspoken with flailing arms about everything you dont like. There could be aspects that you LOVE that are FAR superior in every way to the competition, but will remain absolutely silent about it.

The problem is the vast majority of people who are excessively outspoken about things that DONT like. Making the forums full of complaints and negativity. Perhaps after you list all of the things that you love, and you start to quantify all the things that you love, you might take a step back and say this is a damn good car, why am i complaining so much about little things.

And i have to add to the end, that this is just almost insanely typical since the M3 got unveiled. The "My car has this why doesnt Model 3" complaint. Again, disingenuous to the full scope of engineering that you are driving.

spuzzz123 | 2019年9月13日

Andy I think you’re giving too much credit. He openly hates his car, has repeatedly expressed serious regret in having bought it. The “I love my car” bit is a misdirection. Not intended for us (he knows his cover is already blown with us). But for occasional visitors. When they read that they may think “oh he is a believer and supporter so this particular criticism must be serious “

andy.connor.e | 2019年9月13日

I probably am giving him too much credit. But that statement is universal for everyone that is outspokenly negative on these forums.

Pages