Forums

Can someone explain difference between Autopilot and Full Self Driving Capabilty

Can someone explain difference between Autopilot and Full Self Driving Capabilty

Hi, I had reserved a model 3 and am trying to decide on whether I should order the Autopilot, Autopilot with Full Self Driving Capability or neither.

It seems to be the basic autopilot is little more than the dynamic cruise control that I have on my Honda Accord which will slow down if I come into proximity with the car in front of me, but adds steering on high ways and maybe the ability to lane change automatically?

Does anyone have this option and its worth it?

Considering for either of these options they Driver needs to monitor closely with hands on the wheel I'm not sure its worth the additional $3 or $8k expense.

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年3月1日

It is worth it.

Daryl | 2019年3月1日

The new version of Auto Pilot just has adaptive cruise control, and auto steering to stay within the lanes. And emergency braking.

Lane change came with Enhanced Auto Pilot, but not with the new version of Auto Pilot. For that you need would FSD.

My opinion: $3000 is well worth it for the relaxation AP brings on the highway. The other features are currently mostly in beta and don't add a lot of capability. Musk promises that will change soon, but he always promises more than can be delivered in the time he promises.

Justaguy | 2019年3月1日

I agree with others that Auto Pilot is worth it -- no question. I can't do without it on my commute now. Full self driving with require software updates and a new computer. The limiting factor in FSD now is the speed of the computer in the car. If you pay for this option now then you get the new computer for free when it comes out later this year. With software updates Tesla expects it to work on surface streets as well as highways. I expect that the earlier versions of FSD will be full of bugs, but over time it will improve. I opted for this option. Let me add that when I got my car earlier in 2018 Auto Pilot was not very good. Now it is quite dependable. The same will likely happen with FSD. Hope this helps.

gmkellogg | 2019年3月1日

https://twitter.com/Model3Owners/status/1101533650208743424?s=20 Best explanation I can find for you. Elon responded and said it a statement was being released later today.

weluvm3 | 2019年3月1日

Most of the stuff which has been relabeled "FSD" from "EAP" have never worked very well for me and I almost never use them. Even auto lane change is exasperating and balky and I frequently have to manually override.

jerryrs | 2019年3月18日

Thank you everyone for the great feedback!

kaushal | 2019年4月22日

I ordered Autopilot thinking I will get all these features, looks like it's way more limited than they will have you believe

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1q4WAUtzitspEB244cMUhyQiTf243ZEI2

kaushal | 2019年4月22日

How do I just get back what I paid for autopilot?

Xerogas | 2019年4月23日

@kaushal_sinha: "How do I just get back what I paid for autopilot?"
------
Sell your Tesla, and use the proceeds to buy a different brand that has more Autopilot features than Tesla does.

spuzzz123 | 2019年4月23日

@kaushal_sinha if you are not joking or trolling....did you really spend that kind of money on a car and not research what it was capable of doing? Then you saw other options on the menu and didn’t think to ask or explore what those meant? Help us understand why we should have sympathy? (You aren’t getting any money back unless you have some recorded salesman lying to you)

kaushal | 2019年4月23日

I actually still under 7 day return window, so that's an option. The problem is, when I ordered the car, those features were listed under Autopilot and they still are. Guess I can always return and buy another without autopilot. It is still false advertising.