Forums

Is the black screen when you enter the car still a normal thing? And badge question

Is the black screen when you enter the car still a normal thing? And badge question

I’d say once a day, my cars screen is black when I enter and the reboot can take a minute or more. Is anyone else still experiencing this or will it go away with update? (I don’t have sentry mode update yet).

Didn’t know if it’s simething normal or service could look at. Still trying to isolate a squeaking in center console/behind screen as well..

And also off topic, do non-P dual motor get dual motor badges?

kevin_rf | 2019年3月17日

The answer is, depends. New ones should, the original AWD NP and even P's did not. They have been slowly back filling the badges as the AWD vehicles come in for service. Mine still lacks a badge.

lunde | 2019年3月17日

Our first M3 that we took delivery in September didn't come with the DM badge, but it was added in late November at the Fremont facility. Our second M3 that was delivered to our home in December came with the DM badge.

M3phan | 2019年3月17日

The screen thing: technically no not normal, but this behavior does happen every once in a while. If it’s literally everyday for you, I’d have service double check it for you.

Lonestar10_1999 | 2019年3月17日

The black screen phenomenon is now discussed in the users manual. It says that user should reboot to get the screen working again. I will be taking delivery of the SR+ on Wednesday. If the screen blacks out often then Tesla will need to do more to address the anomaly than simply inserting three sentences into the users manual.

I have read that the blackout could occur while driving. If this is true, then I believe safety is compromised and a remedial recall would be required.

jwitkin | 2019年3月17日

I have had the black screen on entering the car numerous times. Seemed very frequent for a while but less often recently. Goes back over many software updates. I have an early M3 LR xxxx13xxx. Also sometimes get no sound (turn signals flash but no click, no radio, etc). I have to reboot computer (hold 2 buttons down) and power off to get sound back. Clearly software. I don't worry too much about it. Pretty sure chance of getting anything done by going to service center pretty small. Not unique to our vehicles. Tesla always fixing things...

Carl Thompson | 2019年3月17日

My screen used to do that and they ended up replacing the computer. Since then I haven't had the problem.

larryh | 2019年3月18日

The black screen issue was fixed in 2019.5.5 according to reports. I have 5.15 and the bug is fixed in my car.

nbzach | 2019年3月18日

My version at bottom of tesla app says 2018.50.6 so I guess I’m behind

RES IPSA | 2019年3月18日

@nbzach... you are behind on your updates. If you live near a service center, it has been reported that hooking up the car's wifi to the one at the Tesla Service Center can get an update to your car immediately. But i have no first hand knowledge of this.

ncancilla81 | 2019年3月18日

Take it in and have them replace the computer