Forums

Footwell Lights - Model 3 Standard Plus

Footwell Lights - Model 3 Standard Plus

The footwell lights on the driver and passenger side of my Model 3 Standard Plus don't work. Took in for service and they said it was a software configuration for the Standard Plus. All other interior lights including the under-door puddle lights work fine. Is anyone else having this problem?

TE51A | 2019年4月2日

These lights are normally very dim, you may see it only at total night.
I did have them not respond to my Ambient lights button until updated to 2019.8.4. Try updating then toggling them?

n7vdr1 | 2019年4月2日

Mine are not working either. I just thought it was part of the srp downgrade.

Miloni2020 | 2019年4月5日

Are there footwell lights on the SR+?

ToothlessNF | 2019年4月6日

My service center said the same thing, that's the way the SR+ is configured, the bulbs are there, but they are not enabled.

Lonestar10_1999 | 2019年4月6日

I look at it this way; the power drain from the footwell lights can not affect the SR+. That’s an advantage in my book.

Nineyye | 2019年4月14日

So, let me see if I get this. In a SR+ it is expected that footwell lights cannot and would not be on?

lbowroom | 2019年4月14日

That appears to be the position of the service center.

JarvisM3 | 2019年4月14日

I have a SR + delivered last Wednesday running 8.5 and have them working.

model3cars | 2019年4月15日

Jarvis - can you share more info how the footwell lights are working in SR+ with software 8.5? Thanks

jerryrs | 2019年4月15日

I do not have any footwell lights in the front seats on my SR+ also. It was my understanding they were only available for the Premium model.

Nineyye | 2019年4月16日

I couldn't find anywhere on Tesla.com stating footwell lights are part of any package (i.e. premium, partial premium, etc).

@JarvisM3, I am interested in learning if you have something configured differently on your SR+.

n7vdr1 | 2019年4月16日

Mine physically have the lights because when I first open the door they come on for a split second then turn off.

Electric_Sheeple | 2019年4月16日

My foot-well lights are not active either.

[2019 TM3 SR+ | San Antonio, TX]

Phantom_Menace | 2019年4月16日

2019 SR+ on 2019.8.4, no foot-well lights.

JarvisM3 | 2019年4月16日

I’m not sure whats different on mine. I’ll get a picture tonight.

TeslaTap.com | 2019年4月16日

For the DIYer, seems like you could wire the footwell lights to the underdoor lights. Yes, seems like a clunky way to do it. I found the Tesla footwell lights to be quite dim. You can buy aftermarket replacements and/or rework them fairly easily. https://teslatap.com/modifications/footlight-led-enhancement/

Shows how the different options look, and how to make the changes. Doesn't show how to rewire dead lights. At the end of the article you can see how the different versions look on black carpets too.

Nineyye | 2019年4月16日

I submitted a tech support case with Tesla and they didn't say anything about SR+ footwell lights is not an option. They sent me this "Please check the lighting settings > Main Menu > Lights > Ambient Lighting - to see if the feature is turned on."

Unfortunately, I am away this week and cannot check the function on my vehicle. Perhaps someone on this forum can verify on their M3?

lbowroom | 2019年4月16日

Sounds important, have you considered flying home early to resolve this mystery?

Phantom_Menace | 2019年4月16日

SR+ does not have ambient lighting. I think that’s a Premium interior feature.

JarvisM3 | 2019年4月16日

I confirmed mine doesn’t anymore. Not gonna complain but when I bought the car they were active. Then they are deactivated? How is that even legal go sell you something that works when you buy it then not work after an update? Oh well.

gordon_r_benson | 2019年4月16日

I just tested my SR+ and found that the foot well lights do come on very briefly (less than a second) only when the car is asleep and you activate the door handle. The lights immediately go off and then stay off. Looks very much like they were software disabled.
Others who posted are correct, there is no ambient lighting control, only Dome Lighting On/Off/Auto and Steering wheel lighting on/off.

ebmcs03 | 2019年4月16日

Wow. So much software deactivation games with Tesla.

I think eventually when they don’t care anymore Tesla will just activate everything for everyone.

brianwdavis | 2019年4月30日

SW denied again and again with my M3 SR+. What a waste to have everything physically in place just to be disabled by SW. I can understand SW disabling a feature like AP since that took development and $ to create. Ambient lighting holds no patents and cost them $0 in R&D, really should just be standard on a $40K car. Tesla is really screwing the pooch with all the flip flopping features.

derotam | 2019年4月30日

I would hate to not be able to see my feet while driving, I just love to watch my toes wiggle around while I am driving.

sorry, :P

Actually I am not sorry.

lordmiller | 2019年4月30日

You bought the partial premium interior. You don't get a bunch of stuff, when you spend more money you'll get the features.

Legendisdope | 2019年4月30日

I would pay a bit extra to get these enabled, sucks to vacuum the carpet and miss some spots cause you can't see well.. It was ridiculous to vacuum with my phone flashlight on lol

ccjohnston | 2019年4月30日

This is the only negative experience with my Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus. After paying about $40k for a car, you’d expect the foot well lights to work. It’s a basic expectation for any car, including inexpensive ones. Other than this, I love the car (but this still bothers me).

As others reported, my foot well lights sometimes come on for a split second so the lights and wiring are there.

I took my M3 to the service center and they didn’t know if the problem was due to the SR+ configuration. Seemed that they didn’t have adequate documentation. They said that they check different Model 3s and got mixed results (i.e. foot well lights worked on some, but not others). They said that maybe they will start working after a software update. Kind of scary…

Why doesn’t Tesla offer these features for sale ala carte?

rhj | 2019年4月30日

Don't tell him about the heated seats

Miloni2020 | 2019年5月17日

I expect some footwell lights on a Sr plus. It doesn’t cost anything. They are wired and the lights are there. Spend more money i expect better speakers not footwell lights. Those should be standard. They worked and now they don’t and TESLA reps are clueless.

alexomid83 | 2019年5月21日

I have the Standard Range Plus and they worked when I got the car about a month ago and then they mysteriously disappeared. I figured it was a bug in my software as I updated soon after I got there car a couple of times and that's when I noticed the lights were no longer functioning. I'm currently on 2019.8.6 7c47b13 and it looks like I'm about 10 updates behind. I'm hoping my next software update will address this because it sucks not having foot-well lights.

lbowroom | 2019年5月21日

They stopped functioning in the same update you lost your satellite maps, as planned.

alexomid83 | 2019年5月22日

Foot-well lights should not be a "premium" feature, that's just ridiculous if they seriously took that away in an update.