Falcon Heavy BFR launching now 3;30pm PST

Watching on Youtube.

5 million pounds of thrust.
now at 2700 km/mile

Mike83 | 2019年4月11日

separation of booster . 10,000 km/mile. Views are incredible
center core released.

Mike83 | 2019年4月11日

side boosters coming back to earth to reuse. 17,000 km/hr 163 km altitude.

Mike83 | 2019年4月11日

Wow Side booster landed back in a perfect spot. Incredible.
T at 9 minutes 27,000 km/hr.

Mike83 | 2019年4月11日

Orbit achieved.

Mike83 | 2019年4月11日

Lost video but center core just landed back. Hope they have a video

Mike83 | 2019年4月11日

Satellite deployment next. This took only about 10 minutes.
Congrats to SpaceX. I'm totally geeked out.

NKYTA | 2019年4月11日

This just never gets old. So Effingham cool!!!

Science for the WIN!

Mike83 | 2019年4月11日

T 30 min. 36500 km/hr. 320 km high.
It is a humongous achievement and the main rocked landed on a drone in the sea perfectly.

sosmerc | 2019年4月11日

Makes full autonomous driving look like a piece of cake ! Truly amazing achievement. Way to go SpaceX !

Madatgascar | 2019年4月11日

Uh, don’t think so. FSD has SO many more variables.

Darthamerica | 2019年4月11日

Amazing! Congratulations to Space X and NASA!

blue adept | 2019年4月11日

Yes, "SO many more variables", particularly since there aren't all that many obstructions (like other commuters, pedestrians, random animals, children, random children's and grown up's toys, and any number of other endlessly unforeseeable potential obstacles one encounters as they're motoring around town) one is likely to encounter blasting off into space and returning to the Earth, so, yeah.

I think it's an issue of funding and time. The USG and other nations have poured trillions of dollars into rockets and space technology for over half a century. Private firms are now benefiting from that. If autonomous cars got the same focus and funding I think we could very quickly have it.

blue adept | 2019年4月11日

That is what it would take, nation-wide, government-level investment (possibly in the form of redirecting funds to the infrastructure fitment) to pull it off as I don't think that any single private entity (or even a group of them) would be able to cover the outlay of funds required for it to be actually feasible.

SCCRENDO | 2019年4月11日

@Darth +100. The USG should do the same with combatting climate change.

@Blue agreed... Otherwise the regulation alone will limit potential private investment. We'll see some amazing but highly scripted and controlled demos from Tesla and others. AP3 cars will gain amazing conveniences. But real autonomous technology that can handle the corner cases is a long long way out with current funding levels. Also, as long as autonomous cars remain the unregulated wild west, one particularly tragic accident will set things back years! Just as the FAA regulates flight, I can imagine a similar agency forming and regulating auto cars.

@SCC even if it did, and assuming AGW is real for sake of argument, the time it would take to make a difference would go beyond AGWs timing for it being too late. But there are too many people who think as I do and not enough data to convince us to fund that. Most likely technology driven by market forces will make it unnecessary to take AGWs extreme measures. The key difference is autonomous cars have an immediately obvious benefit with little downside.

blue adept | 2019年4月11日

It isn't 'regulation' that is needed, just funding.

Afterall, no point in 'regulation' if you've nothing to regulate, which is where the technology/industry is now.

Darthamerica | 2019年4月12日

@Blue imagine the cost to develop AP. Imagine the potential liability... Now all of the sudden a large state passes a law that your vehicle is technologically noncompliant with. That could put you out of business. With that risk looming I'd like to see convincing the board of an established auto to fund beyond proof of concept. In fact the big autos who are lagging may even push for such regulations to delay or thwart leaders. Fundamentally you're right and the technology should just work but holistically it's more complex and regulations need to be "engineered" in.

andy.connor.e | 2019年4月12日

both boosters and center core landed. Pretty amazing work.

Mike83 | 2019年4月12日

The earth rotates at 1000 mph and the earth is traveling in space at 67,000 mph. Launching a rocket to reach the orbit for deployment of satellites is tricky enough but then to have all the boosters and center core come and land precisely back on earth or a drone floating in the ocean without crashing(proper thrust needed to land slowly) has never been done except by EM and SpaceX. Our Nav on EAP does self driving already on both our Teslas(keeping hands on steering wheel) which is something to be amazed at. Those who think FSD is far off may be surprised. The latest release just proved EAP is much safer than people driving.with only two eyes.
Many people think in a little box and can't see outside it.

andy.connor.e | 2019年4月12日

Its entertaining when people who no nothing about the systems in which they argue about, try to downplay the significance and/or challenges of developing such.

El Mirio | 2019年4月12日

in case anyone missed it, picture from inside LOX tank

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1116479251669078016

blue adept | 2019年4月12日

@Mike83

The mission was pretty much the embodiment of perfection of execution.

Mad props to Elon and the SpaceX crew!

FSD is one of the most difficult things we can task a machine to do. Especially in an open system like our current roads. There are too many variables and too little investment in the technology. It's almost a general AI problem. It's really a question of how much more safe does it need to be for people to accept the inevitable crashes. It can be done, will be done, but I think we are far far away from true FSD. Another question is do we need it to be. Tesla can get close enough that the minimal human involvement will make it hard to tell the difference.

NKYTA | 2019年4月12日

Thanks for another word salad. Pass.

‘Twas nothing but an outstanding achievement.

You're welcome. I knew you couldn't wait to screw up another thread with a petty insult to further conceal your inability to be mature.

Mike83 | 2019年4月13日

The word salad has smelly dressing on it; must be a very lonely troll. America has a better space program than russia which must annoy some of the angry trolls.

Back to the topic. Some cool photos.

https://www.space.com/spacex-falcon-heavy-arabsat-6a-launch-landings-pho...

reed_lewis | 2019年4月13日

No matter the speeds of the spaceships, and the rotation of the earth, landing the boosters on the earth is quite predictable. The ground will always be where it is expected, and the drone ship is where it is expected.

OTOH with FSD, there are thousands of items which could be where they are not expected to be.

Big difference...

SCCRENDO | 2019年4月13日

@Reed +100

Mike83 | 2019年4月13日

That is why AI is needed to process all the cameras, ultrasonic sensors and radar at high speeds which Tesla has in production and our cars will be hardware/firmware upgraded. I heard that Tesla mobile will be able to swap out the old computer with the new one. A human with two eyes only has much less to process and that is why there are so many accidents.

Not impressed huh. Wonder why no one did this before.

Darthamerica | 2019年4月13日

Rockets going to orbit and back is just a whole bunch of math problems. Computers are really good at that and NASA has spent close to a trillion dollars and half a century getting good at it. Yet we still cross our fingers and say a prayer any time a person is strapped in to spaceship. Driving requires the ability to make decisions against unpredictable random variables. Computers aren't so good at that yet as any kids with a video game can tell you after they beat it in few days. FSD(Level 5) outside of a controlled environment will take a machine with serious intelligence and the ability to learn. That's what makes Tesla's current approach so tough because they are relying on cameras. The implications if they pull that off are huge! There's also the risk that competitors "catch up" with good enough solutions that cover the majority of use cases and regulations adapt to that by building infrastructure to support lesser capabilities.

Mike83 | 2019年4月13日

They use more than 8 cameras(radar, sonic sensors) as my car detects cars and bad situations around me which no human eyes can do. This has prevented accidents.
AI

https://youtu.be/dEv99vxKjVI?t=8

No disagreement Mike but it's a slightly different issue. There's no question that machines can take in more input... It's sensor fusion 1st and then being able to make decisions against inputs the system has never encountered. That's the thing they are not so good at... Yet.

Mike83 | 2019年4月13日

The link above should answer your questions

Tesla-David | 2019年4月13日

Thanks @Mike83 for the utterly fascinating podcast link with EM. He is so incredibly gifted and knowledgeable about AI and FSD, and his interview just blew me away, and makes me very confident on the state of FSD going forward. Very excited about the future of FSD with Tesla firmly in the lead.

Mike the link basically repeats the same things I said. AP3 could reach level 3 within a year or two. Beyond that, unless Tesla’s AI is farther than what we know, I think we are a long time and billions of dollars from level 4 and 5 outside of controlled lab like circumstances.

Mike83 | 2019年4月14日

@Telsa-David Thanks and here is a review by Paul Fosse with 30 years experience as a software engineer.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/04/14/game-set-match-elon-musk-exudes-con...

Yodrak. | 2019年4月14日

"Falcon Heavy BFR ... "

Falcon Heavy is not the BFR.

That being understood, successfully landing all three Falcon 9 cores was an impressive feat and exciting to watch.

NKYTA | 2019年4月14日

Next, five successful booster landings.

Amazing.

Education in Science key.

Darthamerica | 2019年4月15日

They lost the center core... And that is the essence of an open looped system. Full self driving especially based on passive vision is like the ultimate open loop with near infinite variables. It will happen but there's a lot of time and capital between now and then...Chaos eventually wins sooner and more often than you think.

Mike83 | 2019年4月16日

All is not lost but high seas caused the core to slide off. Chaos of detractors is funny.

https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-falcon-heavy-booster-overboard/

Burba22 | 2019年4月16日

Why does Tesla not incorporate a second feed along side their live feed that is delayed to show the rocket landing shortly after the rocket lands and the live feed cuts out? I know a lot of people would like seeing the rocket land on a delayed stream.

reed_lewis | 2019年4月18日

Tesla has nothing to do with the launch. It is all SpaceX.

andy.connor.e | 2019年4月18日

When we refer to Tesla or SpaceX, we really are talking about musk

blue adept | 2019年4月20日

@Mike83

It's going to take more than AI and onboard telemetrics to make full autonomous driving possible.

As I've explained before, there will necessarily have to be a somewhat large investment for infrastructure refitment and overhaul.

Darthamerica | 2019年4月20日

@Blue yes! Otherwise the inevitable accidents from an open system will cause regulations that set things back.

Mike83 | 2019年4月20日

Except EAP already has more than 4 times fewer accidents than drivers with only 2 eyes.
Don't bet against Elon, many think they know more but know much less.

Darthamerica | 2019年4月20日

Mike we aren't betting against Elon. We are cautioning against putting a premature technology on public roads. He's done it before and after a few deaths we have NAGs and restrictions on AP. The car's capabilities have regressed since launch of the feature. Autopilot is the most important Tesla feature and a dramatic crash due to rushed deployment could hurt Tesla at a time when they need stability.

Mike83 | 2019年4月20日

Our Tesla drives much safer than a driver, sees more, avoids collisions and has fewer incidents than a car without it.
It doesn't need to be perfect but better and it already is. People may be surprised how well it works.
Another thing is that many people CANNOT give up control of their vehicles and that is where most of the disbelief originates. Once a person does it and stays aware they are shocked at how it does it.
The phony BS about it is worse is definitely the opposite of what we have seen in our 2000 mile trip and still on it.
The best thing from some of these posts is seeing who is full of it.

Pages