Forums

Screen

Screen

My Tesla display screen failed to boot up even with a reset. I had to buy a new display screen which really irritated me as the car is not even two years old. The repair person told me with 70,000 miles on my car and the screen basically being the computer of the car it wasn’t that weird that it would go out. I think a $115,000 vehicle should have a main computer that lasts longer than that. To make me even more upset I asked for the display screen that was being replaced and was told that it belonged to Tesla. I went through all the sales agreements and could not find anything that said the display unit belongs to Tesla. Has anyone else heard of this?

jimglas | 2019年4月15日

Isnt your car still on warrantee?
Sounds like FUD

Vawlkus | 2019年4月15日

Flagged as FUD.

mathwhiz | 2019年4月16日

I assume the OP's Model X is out of warranty by reason of mileage, and no extended warranty was purchased... OP says a new (MCU) screen was required after failure. Not sure if it was just the screen or the MCU1 assembly (probably the latter). Don't know what the OP paid for the replacement but, I'm guessing the price was an 'equivalent replacement' price (a repaired unit), which would explain Tesla keeping the original assembly. Also not sure if a new part replacement was a possibility but, the cost of that would be higher. As far as experiencing a failure of this type after 70K miles -- well, that is why one might consider purchasing an extended warranty.

quintman99 | 2019年4月16日

@Hickcc11 Hello there, If you don't mind me asking, how much does an MCU cost. Additionally what year is your vehicle and have you had any other major issues ?? The reason I am asking is that I am considering purchasing one and would like to know how reliable these vehicles are, specifically the X. I put on a lot of miles myself, so I am quite interested. Any input is appreciated.

jjgunn | 2019年4月17日

You have to purchase the extended warranty with these cars. $5k is nothing as all it takes is 1 issue to make it worthwhile. Especially on a Model X

500,000 Tesla drivers can't be wrong.

TeslaTap.com | 2019年4月17日

As for getting replaced parts for a non-warranty repair, generally If you pay for the new part, in California, they have to return the defective part to you if requested. Not all states have this law. In addition, I think there can be cases where the company gets the defective part if you're provided some kind of discount. There also might be issues with a part that has hazardous waste, but I don't expect the display falls into that category.

Replacing the display is far cheaper than replacing the MCU, which in the first couple of years was required (i.e. the display was considered integral to the computer portion). Nice that Tesla can replace the display separately from the MCU, making the replacement cost far cheaper than a full MCU replacement.

Not sure there is any value or market for defective displays.

I'd expect the display should easily last 200K+ miles, but there will always be a small subset that is going to fail earlier - like most parts. It has nothing to do with the cost of the vehicle. I'm sure vehicles that cost double or triple the Tesla also have screens that fail on occasion. That's why some get extended warranties to take the sting out of unexpected failures.

Things that might contribute to an early failure include extreme temperature cycling, extreme vibration and/or shock, and/or severe pressure on the display (i.e. punching the display)!