Forums

accelerated range loss in the last month or two

accelerated range loss in the last month or two

Car is about half year old. Used to charge to 279 at daily limit of 90%, but within the last month or two, every one to two weeks, the range reduces by 1 mile. Now it stands at only 274 miles and just last Friday it was 275 and the week before that was 276. Only supercharged during one long trip and the rest are on L2 station. Anyone has similar experience?

Bighorn | 2019年4月16日

Not enough info. Likely just be a calibration error depending on your charging habits--high and low end.

ffrr | 2019年4月17日

Haven't changed charging pattern. Charged at work ranging from 5A to 30A. If the number fluctuates within a range that would be fine, but it was steadily decreasing.

Bighorn | 2019年4月17日

By charging pattern I mean the range of SOCs you operate in. If you're staying in a narrow charge band, estimated range grows increasingly inaccurate.

cpeppey | 2019年4月17日

Cold and wind?

Bighorn | 2019年4月17日

@cpeppey
Not pertinent to estimated range.

ffrr | 2019年4月19日

80% - 90% on weekdays. every week 60%-90% once due to weekend usage. Once or twice 20%-90%.

gmr6415 | 2019年4月19日

@ffrr, The battery indicator is an estimate based on some sort of algorithm/s. It's a swag (Scientific Wild Ass Guess) that really doesn't mean that much at all. Depending on your Wh/mi your actual range will almost always differ from what the indicator states.

jordanrichard | 2019年4月19日

ffrr, so during the week you charge to 90% and go down to only 80% before charging again.....?

As Bighorn said, that is a very narrow range for the car to guess what your range is. Think of your battery as a rubber band. If you only stretch it out by "X" amount, you start to forget how much it can really go.

Jlomb436 | 2019年4月19日

So I'm also having the same issue as the OP. Today, 90% charge is 266 miles instead of 278-279. My car is also about 7 months old with 8k miles. Additionally, I'm also like the OP in the instance that I'm usually at 60-90% SOC.

What's the best way to recalibrate if I wanted to?

Thanks folks!

gballant4570 | 2019年4月19日

Charge your battery to 100% or close, and drive it right afterward. Take it down to around 20% before charging again. This should calibrate the algorithm.

Jlomb436 | 2019年4月19日

Thanks.

Do I need to drive 100% to 20% in one drive or is the goal simply to get it form 100 to 20% over any reasonable period of time (ie a day or two)?

gballant4570 | 2019年4月19日

Another way to look at it - choose a day that you will drive a significant number of miles. Look at the estimated miles before driving. Drive the significant miles, and look at the number of miles driven compared to the remaining estimated miles. Do the two numbers add up to more than the estimated miles before driving? Does your wh/m seem to support the data?
You'll need to be familiar with your usual efficiency and the relationship between your trip wh/m average and the EPA range basis. You can roughly use 235-240 wh/m for this

gmr6415 | 2019年4月19日

@ffrr, Note that recalibration as described above can take 2 or 3 times from 100% down to 20% and back up to 100%.

Also note the miles remaining on the battery indicator before you charge. After you charge note the miles added. Confirm that by adding the miles added to the miles remaining prior to the charge on the battery indicator. That should add up to miles remaining on the battery indicator after charging.

Run it down to what you run it down to and go to your trip cards before you charge again. The second card down is "since last charge". Note the miles driven since the last charge. Add that to the miles remaining on the battery indicator. For me that almost always adds up to more than the confirmed miles added prior to the last charge.

This should give you a good indication of your real range and the condition of the battery.

Pepperidge | 2019年4月19日

Weather change and firmware change. And might be side effect of the Sentry Mode.

kallian | 2019年4月19日

Look at your warranty statement. For the performance its 120k miles, 1% loss for 4k miles driven acceptable.
If its beyond that its accelerated, if its below that, consider yourself lucky.