Forums

M3 put me in the PENALTY BOX

M3 put me in the PENALTY BOX

So I'm driving home from work today on a fairly empty new highway on AP, just chillin at about 75mph. This dude in a mini van comes up behind and just sits in my driver blindspot. After about a minute of this I had enough and did the fun thing...I mashed the pedal and instantly put about a quarter mile between us. Lo and behold when I went to turn the AP back on a little while later, I got a message chastising me for exceeding the maximum speed (evidently I must have topped 90) and that I was not allowed to use AP anymore on this trip! Got a chuckle out of it. Now we know.

Shamrk1 | 2019年4月19日

That’s funny haven’t seen that yet

Bighorn | 2019年4月19日

Too often here.

ebmcs03 | 2019年4月19日

I’ve seen it. Was tired of the focus next to me and I sped away. Forgot AP was on.

ILoveMyModel3 | 2019年4月19日

The same thing happened to me so I pulled over, put the car in park, then back in drive and I was back in business....lol

hokiegir1 | 2019年4月19日

I've gotten pretty good about flipping up on the stalk to cancel it before/as I hit the pedal.

wiboater4 | 2019年4月19日

Been there, done that :-)

Kary993 | 2019年4月19日

I had that happen to me using navigation with AP when I was not complying well enough with the hands on the steering wheel.

Infiniti Pi | 2019年4月19日

Live and learn. I'll take the "penalty" for the satisfaction of 75-90 in no time ;). But, hit the stalk first from now on.

njchillie | 2019年4月19日

It also tells on you by notifying your mother.

rschmidt30 | 2019年4月19日

I use the scroll wheel for answering "hands on the wheel" requests. Just have not yet timed how long it takes for the request to pop up.

wiscy67 | 2019年4月19日

I've gotten similar penalties -

One time I failed to enter enough steering wheel resistance in time while on NoAP and I saw a red screen followed by a message - no more for you on this trip. I read later that I would need to stop and put car in Park before continuing to have the ability to auto steer.

Another time I tried to use NoAP and was warned that I had to slow down closer to listed speed before I could do that.

Infiniti Pi | 2019年4月19日

Message comes up every 0.5 miles. I do the scroll wheel thing too. Tweaking the volume works.

CASEMAN | 2019年4月19日

@ hokiegir1 - Thanks for the tip - I always pulled the wheel to disengage.

hokiegir1 | 2019年4月19日

@caseman - the wheel just disengages autosteer, but the stalk disengages both cruise and autosteer...so make sure your foot is ready if you don't plan to brake. :)

jjgunn | 2019年4月19日

Yup - before mashing the pedal, simply tap the brake to disengage TACC & AP

No more penalty flags.

Shesmyne2 | 2019年4月19日

I laugh when Trinity yells at me.

Still Grinning ;-)

CASEMAN | 2019年4月21日

@hokiegirl1 - I used to tap the brake after jerking the wheel. I used the stalk the last couple days - Way better!! Thanks again!

jonabramson | 2019年4月21日

Never seen any penalty come up from me. Was on a long trip this morning and a couple of times I mashed the pedal while going around 75. Not to admit anything but it doesn't take much to go from 2 digits to a 3 digit speedo really fast. Was on either cruise or AP, but I don't recall which. But no warnings I saw.

pattont | 2019年4月21日

Is there no way to disable this penalty?

Bighorn | 2019年4月22日

If you go over 90 on auto steer, you lose the privilege of using auto steer until the car is shut down and restarted. Frustrating when you can’t or don’t want to stop.

hokiegir1 | 2019年4月22日

@pattont - Yes, there is. Don't go over 90 with autosteer engaged.

PhillyGal | 2019年4月22日

@Bighorn - Zero surprise that you've experienced this ;)

I got in the penalty box in the Model S some time ago and it must have been before it was publicized/talked about and just after a software update enabled it because neither me nor my husband (I was driving) had any idea what was happening when AP wouldn't work until we stopped.

Only a few weeks later did I even put 2 and 2 together.

elecfan2 | 2019年4月22日

@Bighorn, if this happens and causes you to lose your Tesla smile do this: come to a grinding stop in the middle of the highway (assuming nobody is around you on a lonely highway, safety first), throw it into park, put it in drive, mash the pedal to the floor and get your Tesla smile back and put it back into autopilot.

2015P90DI | 2019年4月22日

Very annoying feature. Don't understand it. Disengage it if you hit 90, absolutely fine. But to penalize you and not allow you to use it just something that unnecessarily annoys its owner/driver. I understand the penalty when you ignore the hands on wheel warning, but because you might have topped 90 MPH for a second or two to get out of the way of something or whatever the reason is not a safety benefit. Disengaging AP at 90 is more than enough safety benefit. Making the driver pull over, stop, open the door, rise up off the seat and go through that whole process just pisses people off. And probably less safe for those that choose to stop on the side of the freeway, then have to accelerate back into traffic.

Syed.Hosain | 2019年4月22日

On my older car, a Infiniti M45, the cruise control would not engage at all when driving over 125 mph. :) Yeah, I explored the limits of that car and others like it a lot.

I have not yet encountered this penalty mode on my Model 3 ... FWIW, I would much rather have control of the car when traveling at high speeds. So was fine with the limits on my Infiniti and will find those on my Model 3 soon enough.

texxx | 2019年4月22日

Doubly silly here in TX where there are 85mph roads. Anyone ever get an explanation why the penalty is so harsh?

Infiniti Pi | 2019年4月23日

Bighorn always knows......thanks chief