Forums

Overheating

Overheating

Here in AZ, the sun is brutal. I have had a few instances where the car's temperature has reached 116º, 117º, and 110ºF. I was surprised, since the air temp was only in the 70's and low 80's, and I had sunshades in the roof. So, now, I have to monitor the car every hour from 10 AM to 5PM. Because I work and live at the same place, I don't drive every day. I'm a teacher. So, when I do drive, I drive after 3. Also, I have no place to park in the shade.

The 12 hour temperature protection runs out in the early morning before sunrise and does me no good at all. I recommend that a 24 hour, all the time, option be available for when the car is plugged in.

I have a car cover that I use, but the temperature can reach 100º with an air temp of 86º. In a few weeks the air temp will be in the high 90's and low 100's.

I hope that Tesla will provide that option soon.

Thank you,

Tony

hokiegir1 | 2019年4月20日

Turn on cabin overheat protection in your cars settings.

lbowroom | 2019年4月20日

Car temps get a lot hotter than that. They always have, you just didn't have a way to monitor it. Don't worry, it's not going to melt any more than any car you've had before.

cfcubed | 2019年4月20日

Like OP says, cabin overheat protection only good for 12 hrs: "The climate control system can reduce the temperature of the cabin in extremely hot ambient conditions for a period of up to twelve hours after you exit Model 3". As OP suggests may be nice if duration was adjustable, say up to 24 hrs. Maybe up to 12 w/A/C, 24 w/o?

Like @lbowroom suggests don't look at temps if they cause you to worry:) Though it may be nice if the car kept itself cooler longer for you, car interiors put up with the heat & always have. Even tho I set cabin protection on (w/o A/C) I still use AMAZ Kinder Fluff "Windshield Sun Shade ... (Large)" in my windshield when parking & crack windows open a little bit if weather & security allow.

Halbach | 2019年4月20日

Why not just activate cabin overheat protection in the morning each day?
Also note, it won't work if you have security alarm activated.
But as another asked, why? No reason to keep the car cool unless you are going to get in it and then you can turn on AC half an hour before via app.
Sunroof sunshades would also help along with windshield sunshade if you don't have one.

mrburke | 2019年4月20日

@TonyR63- Using a car cover significantly reduces the inside temp on a sunny day. I have been using car covers for over 30 years, mainly in the summer, just to keep the sun off the car and to keep it cooler inside.

TonyR63 | 2019年4月21日

Thanks for all the replies. I have tried all your suggestions, and they do work out.

However, with all the features Tesla has, we really shouldn't have to do all that stuff. It wouldn't take much to have the temp protection available all the time when plugged in.

Since the manual states that the interior temperature should not exceed 106ºF, I assume electronic damage may occur, if the car surpasses that temp for any period.

I wrote the post primarily to get Tesla's attention. Hopefully it will be available in the next update.

Thank you,

Tony

jimglas | 2019年4月21日

FWIW: overheat protection turns off if you have sentry mode on

mrburke | 2019年4月21日

@jimglas I think you are thinking about dog-mode and sentry-mode.

lbowroom | 2019年4月21日

Car interior will get to 180, nothing will be damaged. Tesla doesn't read these forums.

jimglas | 2019年4月21日

No, if you have sentry mode on, automatic cooling is turned off. I found this out when I went out to my 140 degree car

rob | 2019年4月21日

@OP what color is your interior, black or white? That makes a huge difference.
The black dash on my BMW would reach 200F. I keep my M3 in the garage at home and work so it's not a problem.

mrburke | 2019年4月21日

@jimglas - So far, I have not seen that. mMy car stayed about 105F on a hot day, and cooled down remotely within a couple of minutes.

jordanrichard | 2019年4月21日

People are confusing things here. Cabin heat protection and Climate control are two different things. Climate control runs the AC/heat as needed as long as the SOC is 20% or higher. Cabin heat protection just circulates the air, bringing the temp down from 105 to 95, before rising again to 105 and then goes back down.

TeslaTap.com | 2019年4月21日

@jordanrichard - Cabin overheat protection, if enabled, has two options - one with FAN only, which may not be enough to get the temps below 105F, and an option to run the HVAC to ensure temps are kept below 105F. Fan only mode uses less energy, but may not be effective.

Note also it overheat protection only runs for up to 12 hours after you exit the car and then shuts off.

jordanrichard | 2019年4月22日

Well I guess I didn't get that memo for my '14 MS but I have seen the fan only do it's job because I saw it in the app. It constantly went from 105 down to 95.

derotam | 2019年4月22日

Jordanrichard, maybe your MS doesn't use the AC, I wouldn't know since this is a Model 3 forum. Please don't say the 3 doesn't do something if the only reference you have is a MS.

Kathy Applebaum | 2019年4月22日

"FWIW: overheat protection turns off if you have sentry mode on"

It's now turning off if you have any of the security stuff on, not just sentry mode.

I leave the Security Alarm (the pre-sentry mode one) on all the time, and cabin overheat no longer works. If you go to the cabin overheat control in the car, the little info button popup says that will be the case. It's really annoying because now I have to choose between no security at all and a 140F car.

Brian B | 2019年4月22日

@TonyR63 "Since the manual states that the interior temperature should not exceed 106ºF, I assume electronic damage may occur, if the car surpasses that temp for any period."

I don't think that's true. I believe it is just referring to what it tries to keep the temperature at when you have it enabled. I don't think it damages anything if it is above it. Remember, that feature only came out well after many Model 3 were sold. And then, it was meant to help where someone made a mistake and left their kid in the car or something. Kinda the same as dog mode, except dog mode is intentional.

Techy James | 2019年4月22日

#TonyR63, I noticed similar while I was as work here in Ohio, if it was sunny day even though highs may only be 60's my car was getting to 100+ inside, I enabled the Cabin Overheat protection, which unlike the Climate Control don't have a limit on how long it runs, it would only disable if the Car Battery get's below 20%. This only seems to cost if left all day about 10% charge rate on a sunny day so far.

lbowroom | 2019年4月22日

This topic makes me wonder if anyone has owned a car before.

TeslaTap.com | 2019年4月22日

@jordanrichard - On Overheat Protection, the S works the same way as the 3 (at least for the 2016 S and later). Three modes, Off, No A/C (i.e. fan only), or ON (HVAC). I've never used the option myself, but perhaps this summer.

CharleyBC | 2019年4月22日

So, what's the logic in security and Cabin Overheat Protection being mutually exclusive features? Is it that the noise of the AC or fan could be a security false alarm, or obscure the noise being generated by a bad guy?

billlake2000 | 2019年4月22日

CharleyBC, my guess is it's a feature. Or do I mean bug??

nellylian | 2019年4月23日

Simple solution, why not move to Norway.. :)

Bighorn | 2019年4月23日

106 was chosen for reducing fatalities of pets and children, not hardware.