Forums

model 3 roof rack

model 3 roof rack

I check every couple days to see if its available and when I checked today it is still sold out, but went from $450 to $600. what the heck?

crmedved | 2019年4月23日

Do you live in Canada? That is $600 CAD. Still $450 USD: https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/model-3-roof-ra...

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年4月23日

Never fails we get a CDN/USA currency mixup thread abo't once a month.

crmedved | 2019年4月23日

In all fairness, when I googled "model 3 roof rack", the first result was the the Canadian Tesla store.

Rick | 2019年4月24日

ugh, shame on me. thanks for the clarification. I have been checking every week or two since it became available, so im not sure how i ended up on the Canadian site. Well, that clears up the pricing, but when the heck is it gonna be available?

PECo CT | 2019年4月24日

@Rick

After they fix problems with the design or manufacture. There have been numerous reports of the metal clips that attach the rack to the car breaking.

Kathy Applebaum | 2019年4月24日

@PECo CT Tesla has replaced those clips and I haven't seen any new reports from people who replaced the clips.

Kary993 | 2019年4月24日

I just received mine yesterday for $450 USD.

clomi | 2019年4月24日

I just ordered mine....now! I think they are back in stock.

bill.nguyen09 | 2019年5月1日

I ordered mine when I became available just for a day but it took 2 months to received the roof rack.

dgeorgop | 2019年5月2日

Is anyone using their rack for kayak transport? if so what attachments are you using for the rack? Cheers

bbutz | 2019年5月2日

Curious if anyone is using non-Tesla roof racks. Just got my Tesla racks and not happy with the design at all. Will be taking back. Has anyone seen any other brands of roof racks being used on the model 3? One YouTube showed a guy installing a universal Thule rack. Don't know how that will work and is not authorized by Tesla (of course not).

sroh | 2019年5月2日

What's wrong with the Tesla rack? I think it's great. I can't imagine a universal rack that would be as good.

bbutz | 2019年5月2日

I want to be able to remove the rack completely when not in use. Due to the vinyl pads, this is not practical. Also, if I removed and replaced the racks frequently I worry what it would do to the insulation around the windows. Not only do I not want the look of having the racks on all the time, I don't want the additional drag reducing the mileage range.

sroh | 2019年5月2日

I understand and agree about removing the racks when not being used.

I bought some PPF vinyl bought on Amazon and cut some duplicates.

I use the racks only during the winter for ski racks. I am going to remove them shortly. I plan to remove the vinyl pads and replace with new ones next winter.

mike | 2019年5月2日

I got a seasucker bike rack for my 3

I was a little nervous at first, but it is attached well enough for me to grab it and rock the whole car.

Cheap, super easy to put on, easy to remove, and works great.

snapcj2008 | 2019年5月2日

just got my Tesla rack and installed. Haven't used yet but I intend to use my Thule box at times, and I will get a roof-mount bike rack for it.
The reason for the posting is a bit of question, and maybe a warning... the manual says tighten the T nuts to roughly 8 nM. I got out my torque wrench and then tightened, and tightened, and tightened... and kept tightening with caution... only the front t-nuts got tight enough to get the torque wrench to click. I didn't get the back t-nuts to 8nM: I ran out of space for the allen key (wrench started slipping out). I noticed the warning in the manual to not tighten so much that the glass breaks... seems like 8nM is an over-estimate. Careful

sroh | 2019年5月2日

@snap,
I've mentioned this on other threads, but 8 nm is overkill, by a lot. I believe revised instructions recommend 5-6 nm. That's still way more than needed. The way the nut and lock works together, there is no way the nut can loosen once the lock is engaged. I've tightened just by hand pressure, with just half a turn added with the allen wrench. That is more than sufficient. The rack is rock solid, and the nut is locked in place.