Forums

Change air fan speed with right scroll wheel

Change air fan speed with right scroll wheel

On the Model S I could adjust the air conditioning fan speed up or down using the steering wheel right scroll wheel. It was very handy, especially when outside air temperatures change rapidly and it takes the auto setting a while to catch up. I wish Tesla would add that functionality to the M3, perhaps by making it active when not using TACC or any autopilot functions.

wanche | 2019年5月13日

yes please! I rarely adjust speed during auto pilot, it should auto adjust it no?! ....

Firaz.ashraf | 2019年5月13日

I am on the other side. Prefer to have speed and distance control as is. Hoping Tesla allows customization at some point

lbowroom | 2019年5月13日

Speed control trumps climate control

gmr6415 | 2019年5月14日

@lbowroom, they could differentiate between the two. When climate control window is up the scroll wheel changes fan speed. When not it controls road speed.

EVRider | 2019年5月14日

This will hopefully be solved by additional voice commands, which are supposed to be coming (“soon”).

M3BlueGeorgia | 2019年5月14日

@eztider Why are you even changing the fan speed? Just leave it on auto.

The only time I've ever messed with the fan speed was to optimize range in extreme cold, where I found turning off the A/C helped the range, and doing that obligated you to select a fan speed. Even then, I didn't change the fan speed.

foodking | 2019年5月14日

maybe someone just likes to drive like they have the windows down when the windows aren't down. Why you ask? maybe stop and go traffic or they got allergies.

eztider | 2019年5月14日

@M3BlueGeorgia Sometimes auto doesn't do it for me and I want a little extra air. I shouldn't have to take my eyes off the road and futz with a menu when I just want some more (or less) air. When my wife is a passenger she always wants more air. I'm not going to mention hot flashes; that would spawn a whole 'nother thread.

CharleyBC | 2019年5月14日

In every car I've had before our 3, automatic HVAC (if it even had it) sucked. I always overrode with manual settings. The 3 is the only car I've had where Auto is great nearly always. It's rare that I do anything other than tweak the temperature--which it then automatically maintains. So, yeah, a fan adjustment might be nice, but it's pretty low on my enhancement list.

lbowroom | 2019年5月14日

Not just to be a dick, by what cars let you change fan speed without having to futz with something?

PhillyGal | 2019年5月14日

Funny - we have the right scroll wheel (on the S) set to control the sunroof, rather than fan.

To each her own.

nvjx | 2019年5月14日

It will be really nice to have the option to control the fan speed with the right scroll wheel as in Model S.

ODWms | 2019年5月14日

"Not just to be a dick, by what cars let you change fan speed without having to futz with something?"

Many cars just have a knob you can just reach out and adjust.

twistedskipper | 2019年5月14日

The general use case, which I wish for sometimes as well, is to increase air flow through the dash without having it kick on the A/C. It's a bit awkward and attention-demanding to configure this right now. I used to do this on my Subaru all the time - it's not to save energy/preserve range, but to just get more ambient-temperature air flow.

I don't personally vote for repurposing the right thumb wheel for this, however, because I use that a LOT to adjust cruise control speed.

rhj | 2019年5月14日

Add toe controls

EVRider | 2019年5月14日

Here’s the source for my previous comment about voice commands: https://electrek.co/2019/04/02/tesla-voice-command-ai-assistant. If you read the article, you’ll see there will be voice commands to control fan speed. No toe controls required. :-)

eztider | 2019年5月16日

I'll wait and see, but I'm not sure a voice command will be as precise as being able to run the scroll wheel up or down to get the precise amount of airflow I want. In any case, any solution would be much appreciated.

alexomid83 | 2019年5月17日

I would LOVE this! It's too hard to fumble around with that tiny control to increase or decrease the fan speed and is dangerous. It would be amazing to have the ability to use the right click wheel to turn the fan up or down. Hopefully Tesla reads comments in their forums!

dmastro | 2019年5月17日

+1 on voice command. Many cars have voice command for Nav, Media, Climate, etc. It should be a relatively small lift for Tesla considering the basic voice command for nav is already built.

andy.connor.e | 2019年5月17日

I dont see why you cant have the scroll wheel change fan speed. Should be able to voice command set your CC/AP speed and car lengths distance.

dmastro | 2019年5月17日

You should be able to use your choice of voice, scroll wheel, or touch screen for most functions.