Forums

Maximum Range for a Tesla 3 performance

Maximum Range for a Tesla 3 performance

I am the proud owner of a new Tesla 3 performance. First off, I love love love the car and will never go back to a gas-guzzler.

That said, I am not getting anywhere near the mileage that Tesla advertises. I had to travel ~140 miles round-trip for an appointment last week. I charged to 90% the night before I left (280 miles). I did all the things recommended to increase range (no open windows, no AC/heating, no rapid acceleration, ran on chill mode, etc.). I still got home with an estimated remaining mileage of less than 60 miles. Warm weather and completely flat roads.

Granted, a lot of the trip was in a 70 mph speed limit and I usually drive 9 mph above that.

Is the speed limit (and my speeding) the reason why I am not getting close to the advertised mileage? If 70 mph severely decreases a Model 3’s range (and I’m sure it does), shouldn’t Tesla downgrade its expected mileage, since so many interstates and other highways have a speed limit of 65 mph or greater?

I am not bitching about the range I get (it is easily enough for my daily commute). But I will get range anxiety the next time I have to travel any distance longer than ~180 miles especially when there is no supercharger nearby.

Does anyone actually get 310 miles of range on a full charge? If so, how do you do it?

Thanks for any feedback!

WantMY | 2019年5月17日

Most likely it is due to 70mph. The range estimate on most EV is very optimistic. Also, the range is calculated for standard config with 18". If you have bigger wheels you would need to deduct 10% for every inch increase in wheel size. Drag force is square of the speed, so even small speed difference +- wind makes sizable impact on range.

WantMY | 2019年5月17日

"Granted, a lot of the trip was in a 70 mph speed limit and I usually drive 9 mph above that." - definitely speed is the cause.

crmedved | 2019年5月17日

Yeah, I believe the model 3 advertised range is at about 65 mph highway driving. Every mph above that exponentially increases air drag. You'll get a lot better mileage at 70. Decent bit better at 75.

I also drive 80-82 mph and just know it will be less efficient.

In regards to Tesla's advertised speed, as you said, most highways are rated at ~65 mph. So their assessment is correct. You just go faster than you're supposed to... that's not really their problem.

crmedved | 2019年5月17日

^ advertised range* Really wish they updated these forums so we could edit comments -_-

ODWms | 2019年5月17日

I drove about 120 miles today with a mix of interstate and city driving. I, too, have the PD3+ (big wheels, etc.), and I got an average Wm/h of 238 for the day. This is almost dead-on the efficiency to receive 310 miles from a full charge.

Mind you, I drive spiritedly much of the time, so my efficiency isn't usually that good. But at times when I'm trying to test my mileage, like today, I can easily get rated range. In fact, I can easily look back and see areas where I could have been more efficient today, and gotten and even better mileage.

JAD | 2019年5月17日

The EPA has rules for how to evenly judge range and mileage. It isn't custom to your needs, not does it assume you will break the law and speed, but they are a constant measure to compare various cars.

You know the sayings, your mileage may vary..... Going 79 will kill range just like it does in a gas car as air resistance is very inefficient at those speeds.

lbowroom | 2019年5月17日

Just to be funny, the speed limit won't affect your range at all, the speed you drive will though.

clive | 2019年5月17日

Try A Better Route Planner for an estimate of power consumption that takes into account temperature, speed, weight carried, wind and weather - all factors that will impact your range.

ODWms | 2019年5月17日

Good point about the weight. The Wh/m rating I mentioned above was with a passenger half of the day! And I used AC most of the day too.

ODWms | 2019年5月17日

^^^^ 90 degree Florida day!

jjgunn | 2019年5月17日

If you want to drive at 79 MPH....purchase 18" wheels plus chill mode, no AC etc.

The biggest reason is 20" wheels.

If you want efficiency, don't buy a performance

Finkle | 2019年5月18日

Just my preference i bought a performance for spirit driving, P100D was way out of reach but P3D is only .8 sec slower and half the price. If i had to worry about my range anxiety or mileage i would've bought LR :D

SteveWin1 | 2019年5月18日

Performance Model 3 gets 219 miles on a full charge if going 80 mph, so 197 if you charged to 90%. After 140 miles, you should have 57 miles remaining. Pretty close to your reported 60. So nothing wrong with your car. Source: twitter.com/TroyTeslike/status/1038920763955396608

SteveWin1 | 2019年5月18日

For comparison, P3D gets 260 miles on a full charge if only going 70 (your speed limit). So, starting at 90% would have given you 234 miles of range and after 140 miles, you would have 94 miles remaining -- more than 50% higher residual range after your trip just from going the speed limit.

kevin_rf | 2019年5月18日

Btw. A better route planner has an excellent blog post on this with a very nice graph that shows expected range vs. speed for the model 3. Speed kills range.

https://forum.abetterrouteplanner.com/blogs/entry/13-model-3-consumption...

JAD | 2019年5月18日

Very nice explanation link, thanks Kevin!!!

jjgunn | 2019年5月18日

Yup speed kills range (especially with 20" wheels). Great link. Thanks.

I keep my car at SL or under & have zero range issues even with 20" wheels.

You have 1 of the fastest cars on the planet. Everyone knows it. No reason to drive it like you stole it..

I have 2,300 miles & used 720 kWh for 309 Wh/mi. I've demonstrated the 0-60 speed a few times For passengers.

Firewired | 2019年5月18日

Increased speed exponentially increases wind resistance. That is why even dropping 10mph has a huge impact on consumption.

BuffaloBillsFan | 2019年5月18日

I figured it might be that. But this car is just so much fun to drive fast! I can’t help it. And it doesn’t really bother me on a daily basis.

I will drive the speed limit when I go to the mountains in a month or so. I think that is where I will have the largest amount of range anxiety (no superchargers and a lot of uphill driving).

Thanks again for all the advice!

terry.k.morrow | 2019年5月18日

My P3D+ is capable of being quite efficient. This past April I averaged around 286 Wh/mi for an 1800+ mile trip. Which means I was experiencing approx 84% efficiency (I think?) and if I have that right it meant I was getting around 260 miles of range for full charges. Had my 20 inch on and often drive above 70mph but tried to keep below 75 if I could stand it. Definitely mashed the pedal down to get around traffic and hit 85+ a few times too, but overall it was a pretty tame road trip.
We like to stop on road trips to stretch and let our young child use rest room so it’s not a huge deal. But it definitely slows down the trip.
Now in the winter I was a lot closer to 50% efficiency. I never attempted to drive more than 100 miles over the winter but that was essentially just happenstance I guess. Still, I don’t often drive much farther than that so range typically just isn’t an issue. For folks who do drive much more, and live in winter climates, I don’t know that a performance Model is for you. You might even argue that you’re a couple years early to the Tesla game. Once we regularly get EVs capable of range of 500+ miles I think that could be game changer. Feels like that’s not all that far away.

ODWms | 2019年5月18日

Even with the 20 inch wheels, if you're driving at or below speed limit -- even in a conservative mix of hwy and city driving -- you can get pretty close to or at stated range (300-310 mi). At least that's been my experience.

EPA achieves their ratings based upon the best and most conservative "driving" scenarios, just as they do when testing ICE cars: No passengers, no HVAC, even terrain, and at perfect, flat, operational speed limits. If driver's are not doing that, at the very least, I don't understand why they'd be complaining about not getting stated range.

People are driving with passengers, belongings, with AC (heat or cool) on, up hills, highway speeds (remember, this is an EV), at speeds of 75-80-85 MPH, and then come on the forum complaining that they got 'ripped off'.

I will never understand people's sense off logic.

jjgunn | 2019年5月18日

Truth

jimglas | 2019年5月18日

speed kills (range)
@55mph, 384
@65mph, 326
@75mph, 275
@80mph, 251

WantMY | 2019年5月18日

@120mph, 70 miles and DL revoked for the rest of your life, lol

kevin_rf | 2019年5月18日

I might have gotten it up to 108 while in chill...

WantMY | 2019年5月18日

I got my Toyota V6 to 125 on empty, straight 5-lane highway and I do not think I would continue at this speed for more than 20 seconds, because of our roads simply are not designed for those speeds. No problem on German Autobahn, although you need to keep close to the right lane at those "slow speeds".

ReD eXiLe ms us | 2019年5月18日

SteveWin1 & kevin_rf: +42! Excellent posts, guys! Thanks.

"No. As long as I'm alive, the BILLS don't win the Super Bowl." -- The Smoking Man, 'The X-FILES'

JAD | 2019年5月18日

It isn't just speed, on the track I seldom get over 120 mph, but my range is around 40-50 miles. That applies both to the Porsche and the Tesla.

Lot of fun though :)

Bighorn | 2019年5月19日

Got the equivalent of 334 miles from 100% extrapolation driving 295 miles from Maine to New Brunswick between 50 and 68 MPH i.e. the speed limit. P3D-, so the more efficient wheels.

WantMY | 2019年5月19日

Any examples of one way trip are misleading. On the way to work I get 7m/kWh on the way back it is 5.4m/kWh. Average 6.2m/kWh. BTW, no Tesla ever made could get even get close to this efficiency. Being far behind in efficiency is major disqualification factor of any claims of it being best EV in the world. Another thing to consider for drivers who likes to go far over speed limit - it takes two to tango: the road and the car. Car alone is not enough or safe.

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 2019年5月19日

@WantMY,
Please tell me what kind of car you’re driving! I want one too! Post pics!

jjgunn | 2019年5月19日

He wants a Model Y (supposedly)

Quoting the great @lilbean.....

"Douche...."

WantMY | 2019年5月19日

@Neomaxizoomdweebie I told you before - it is not the best in the world, it excels in a few categories that are very important to me. Your Model 3 excels in few categories important to you, but neither is the best EV in the world. It is good as long as you are satisfied and enjoy your car. My hopes Model Y will eliminate a few things that are detrimental for me in Model 3, so the plusses would out weight the minuses. It is always a compromise though.

WantMY | 2019年5月19日

@jjgunn "He wants a Model Y (supposedly)" you truly outdone yourself.

BTW, my advice to @Neomaxizoomdweebie - do not be fooled by figures you see published. The reason you got fooled, you assume those are the true. While most EV data figures are over inflated, you might think it is across the board. Nope, my EV figures are intentionally lowered. I do not know what is the reason for it (may be manufacturer is experimenting with human brain perception), but it makes EV ownership very pleasant because of car over delivers every single time, so no complaints, ever. I learn to trust my EV, unthinkable even to imagine for me just 6 month ago.

@WantMY,
Please tell me what kind of car you’re driving! I want one too! Post pics!

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年5月19日

@Neo He posted a long time ago:

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年5月19日

@Neo He posted a long time ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quzJTgcz0tg

Not a rickroll ;)

Yes, I see what he means. There are some definite plusses over the M3.

howard | 2019年5月19日

I am contemplating DENVER to Pheonix but really not sure I want to bother with the charging stops. Interesting to me that the Tesla route planner has routed the shortest back road way with the slowest speeds through it is the longest travel time. So instead of cruising at 80 on the highway getting there several hours quicker I am doing < 60 on the back roads. Slower route and over two hours charging. I am guessing at least a 4 hour longer trip. This is a routine 13 hour trip I drive straight thru. Probably turns into an overnight trip both ways if I take the Tesla.

Mike UpNorth | 2019年5月19日

@wantmy

You are a tool.

paul | 2019年5月19日

I think the average wh/mi numbers Tesla put on the screen are exaggerated. I just drove 4500 miles from San Diego to Chicago and back. I drove mostly 70-75, obviously a lot of variation between here and there. Mountains, Plains, 36F thru 94F, so sometimes A/C sometimes (but rarely) heating. Car reported that 4511 miles 1201 kWh and 266 wh/mi at the end, but I recorded all the charging sessions, summated the Kwh and miles and I really charged 1274 kWh and that is 282 wh/mi (I allowed for what I started with and ended with). Anyone else actually manually checked vs what is on screen?

lbowroom | 2019年5月19日

Hey Howard, long trips in EV's are different than in an ICE, or haven't you heard

howard | 2019年5月19日

Hi lowbrow, yes indeed. Flying instead.

lbowroom | 2019年5月19日

"Lowbrow", finally something clever from you. There's hope.

WantMY | 2019年5月19日

@paul it is common on most EV, they would lie shamelessly. Always check and verify. Try to get it below 50 miles and watch the circus show. the remaining miles will start doing very funny things as it count down with ever increasing rates out of the blue.

@Mike UpNorth Thanks for endorsement, I will keep it in my Tesla troll endorsements section.

howard | 2019年5月19日

lbowroom, don’t get carried away.

Kary993 | 2019年5月19日

Why does everyone worry about range when you can drive endlessly each day and charge in your own garage and if not, on a trip or otherwise just use superchargers? This constant posting about range really gets old....geee....weather, temperature, rain, snow, heat, mountains, AC, windows open, wheel size, tire size...many factors.......just drive your cars and learn your style of driving... Tesla's work great and are not comparable to ICE cars for mileage.

lbowroom | 2019年5月19日

WantMy, thank you for the informative, thought provoking posts. You are truly a well informed scholar with boundless intellect.

Bighorn | 2019年5月19日

@WantMY, once again, is completely off. I did the same “one way trip” both ways. 219 Wh/m one and 220 Wh/m on the return. Suck on that EV prodigy.

Pages