Forums

Pick Up Truck

Pick Up Truck

I am looking forward to have a test drive on their future pick up truck. INSIDEEV'S site:https://insideevs.com/news/346081/tesla-pickup-truck-render-video/ shows a future design of the Truck.
I love the design. I would suggest that this design will incorporate features or options such as 37 inch tires which is very common to 2500 & 3500 ICE trucks today. A hydraulic bed extension that can fit at least a full size ATV or an inclusion of a matched trailer that can fit a full size ATV and dirt bike for sports and offroad models. Or a model option with fifth wheel trailer-installed capabilities and has automatic four corner air suspension and adjustable lift capacity up to 8 inch and fits at least 37 inch tires. These options would surely compit the following class: 1500, 2500, & 3500 ICE trucks today all-together. I can't wait to see this truck running. Wish they can hear my feasible suggestion. I already told my wife that I will buy this truck no matter what...I am ready for it!

Some said that this design is not utilitarian. Its outside looks say so, but what the Truck is "Really" capable to do makes it a real utilitarian truck. I believe it can have almost all the features that the 1500, 2500, & 3500 ICE trucks combined all-together. If Tesla will do the Following on this Design: Interior comparable with a luxury car or suv, A hydraulic bed extension that can fit at least a full size ATV or construction loads comparable with 2500 & 3500 ICE trucks or matched trailer that can fit a full size ATV and dirt bike for sports and offroad models, automatic four corner air suspension (to level heavy loads) and adjustable lift capacity up to 8 inch and fits at least 37 inch tires, with fifth wheel trailer-installed capabilities. If these features will be on this design, for sure, it defeats the outside looks as not being utilitarian -- it is not the outside looks, but the real capability of this truck design that matters. This Truck will have both the Looks and the Muscle! It can be used as a family car, Sports and Recreation (offroad), and construction works all-together - all in one Truck (The Ultimate Truck).

Tropopause | 2019年5月29日

That rendering won't outsell the F150. I'm sure the real Tesla Pickup will be better and more utilitarian.

andy.connor.e | 2019年5月29日

When someone sells a truck with as much or even more plastic and aluminum as the F150 for less money, Ford will go bankrupt.

TeslaTap.com | 2019年5月29日

I expect Ford will do fine - so long as they also make a EV truck. Ford looks to be late to the party, but not necessary missing entirely. Ford does know what their truck customers want, aside from being an EV, which is a nice advantage.

TeslaTap.com | 2019年5月29日

Elon also indicated the Tesla will be different. As to how different (style/features) we'll have to wait a few more months to see :)

@progodrcdgjr - Not sure if you understood that the rendering is not from Tesla. The Tesla truck could look similar the rendering or be wildly different. Large 37" wheels are unlikely, as it would really limit the range (as it would on any ICE car too). Too heavy and inefficient.

sosmerc | 2019年5月29日

Ford now has a tie-up with Rivian and that may provide a faster entry into the EV truck market. Rivian seems to
have a pretty good start and have been actively showing off their pre-production running prototypes. GM had their chance to join Rivian....but Ford must have made a better offer.

David N | 2019年5月30日

Elon has a chance to make an impact on the truck market, his comments of “It’ll be radically different “ and “I don’t care how many we sell” kinda worry me a bit. Elon was shooting for a really off the wall design , I hope design team talked him out of any kind of weirdo design. For those unaware, Elon has driven F-150 trucks years ago and is very well aware of its short comings. I’m thinking Elon is shooting for something in line with the F-250 capacities. The design is what everyone has been guessing at since Elon made the comment of it being designed like the “Blade runner “.
Oh well, we’ll see.

TabascoGuy | 2019年5月30日

As I recall, in the interview where Elon said “I don’t care how many we sell”, he followed that up with (and these are not direct quotes) "we're just going to make it because I want to" and "Of course, we can also make another truck that will appeal to everyone else".

I'm confident that he is not planning on making a small impact on the truck market. Also, there's plenty of room for both a niche market Tesla Pickup and a mass market Tesla Pickup.

andy.connor.e | 2019年5月30日

Im confident that everything Elon says is absolutely in every way possible NOT something to take as fact.

Mike83 | 2019年5月30日

Just like the Roadster vs. the MS there can be different trucks for different personalities and pocketbooks. Elon did Roadster 1.0 to launch the MS and then the MS to launch the M3. It has worked well with about $30 billion in revenue already. Wait till China comes online. No wonder the FUD is sounding a bit out of whack. Capitulation point maybe?

TabascoGuy | 2019年5月30日

...taken with a grain of salt. I'd agree with that.

...not factual. That's a stretch, even for you andy.

Wheres my spaceship interior

I'll meet you in the middle, with less than a grain of a grain of salt.

TabascoGuy | 2019年5月30日

Fair enough. A little something is still something.

TabascoGuy | 2019年5月30日

@progodrcdgjr - Were you under the impression that InsideEV's rendering of the truck was Tesla's design?

progodrcdgjr | 2019年5月30日

To: TeslaTap.com
TabascoGuy
I said...
"INSIDEEV'S site: https://insideevs.com/news/346081/tesla-pickup-truck-render-video/ shows a future design of the Truck."
Obviously, means the design is not from Tesla.

TabascoGuy | 2019年5月31日

Just asking because your comment "shows a future design of the Truck." seems to imply otherwise.

s.grot | 2019年6月3日

Pickups need to be able to Tow trailers for long distance. I had a 90 kW-hr MX, tried to tow a 22ft Airstream; usage climbed to 600 Whr/mile; needed to stop every 75 miles for a full supercharger fill. Model Y would need a 300 kWhr pack to be functional.

andy.connor.e | 2019年6月3日

Our Tundra gets about 18-20mpg on the highway. I wonder what that efficiency goes to when we tow our 21' sea ray. Never drove it farther than about 30 miles at a time, but we used about 1/4 tank or 5.5 gallons of gas. So imagine it went from about 18mpg to 6mpg. I wouldnt be able to drive farther than 132 miles on a full tank.

David N | 2019年6月3日

Elon said today that the pick up will be under $50K.
I love the guy but I don’t believe the 50k price.

jimglas | 2019年6月3日

why not $50k?
Why would it be more expensive to built a truck
The main expense is the battery and they are already making them.

exevbuilder | 2019年6月3日

Hey Elon:
We have plenty of room in National CIty for a new factory. Just south of San Diego. Close to a shipping port.

sosmerc | 2019年6月3日

I agree that Tesla needs to expand production capacity, and I would prefer they do it all here in the US. Seems if they do it all right, there should be plenty of market potential in the US alone. Become successful here first, and then expand as needed worldwide. If you depend on Europe and Japan, what happens when they suddenly change the rules of the game? (which they are surely entitled to do).

Tropopause | 2019年6月3日

Under $50k for the entry-level Tesla Pick-up sounds great! For those that want to pay more they can get some amazing upgrades.

How much longer longer we need to wait to see this game changing pick-up?

David N | 2019年6月4日

It’ll be interesting if Rivian ever comes to fruition and if so , when , how much , and speed in charging. It certainly has some awesome features.

Ross1 | 2019年6月14日

As does Workhorse

jordanrichard | 2019年6月14日

Has anyone heard where/how exactly Rivian plans on selling their trucks?

David N | 2019年6月14日

Any word on fast charging ability?

PrescottRichard | 2019年6月14日

I tried to check out Workhorse (thank you btw, couldn’t remember the company name yesterday!)- their page is horrible, workhorse.com . Tried it on my iPad and iMac, anyone get anything good out of their link? Did I have the wrong link? Got a 404 error when trying to look up the truck.

As to Rivian, their site looks slick but nothing on availability, and if there’s something there about real tech specs like charging rates I couldn’t find it in 5 minutes.

Suffice it to say, the *moment* anyone has an EV ready for order we’ll hear about it because it’s in their best interest to let everyone know.

David N | 2019年6月15日

Things that caught my attention w Rivian is that tunnel pass thru storage with integrated seat/step, multi positional folding tailgate for easier access, huge front trunk, and spare tire storage.
That have a long way to go yet.
How is it sold, how is it serviced, how is it charged are the common concerns.
Time will tell.
My guess is with the largest battery available it’s topping out near or over 100k.

andy.connor.e | 2019年6月24日

Hope Rivian is not another #FaradayFuture

Earl and Nagin ... | 2019年6月24日

@andy.connor,
At least they seem to have some sense.

andy.connor.e | 2019年6月25日

Faraday seemed to have sense at the time. Its just after 1.5 years pretty much nothing has happened. Did you hear they sold their HQ?

Earl and Nagin ... | 2019年6月25日

I've heard more things about and from Faraday than I can remember. Their overall game plan to make just some flashy car was crazy enough to begin with and of no use to me.
It all seemed like hype and history has supported that notion.

wil37057 | 2019年7月2日

I think a truck based on the model 3 platform would be great. I just need a bed for hauling little things, if it was based on the same platform as the Model 3 it could be easily produced. Who cares if it is similar to a Ridgeline it would be a all electric pickup that’s the main point. I wonder just how many Tesla follower would interested?

Techy James | 2019年7月3日

@wil37057 I believe Elon hinted that it would be based on the Semi so that would be much larger than the Model 3. Also based on some of the capabilities he is proposing like running 240V equipment all day then hauling work equipment back, would indicate a much larger than 75 KWH battery. Also charging would likely require something more than the current wall charger that max's out at 60 Amps.

jimglas | 2019年7月3日

Maybe tesla could also offer a small truck?

wil37057 | 2019年7月4日

I think a small or smaller truck would out sell a cyber punk monster size truck. Most of us with trucks are unwilling to get rid of them for a car with no way to haul things around. A hitch on a luxury car or sports vehicle just doesn’t cut it. Ive come so close to pulling the trigger on a performance model three but in the back of my mind what will I do when I really need a truck.

TabascoGuy | 2019年7月5日

They aren't doing the "cyber punk" truck anymore and it never was "monster size". It will be a conventional sized pickup designed to compete with what's available from Ford, GM, Ram, etc.

TabascoGuy | 2019年7月5日

They aren't doing the "cyber punk" truck anymore and it never was "monster size". It will be a conventional sized pickup designed to compete with what's available from Ford, GM, Ram, etc.

TabascoGuy | 2019年7月5日

Oops, sorry for the double post.

...and by "compete", I meant "take sales away from".

WillRide | 2019年7月5日

Interesting things are being said about this truck. '300,000 lbs of towing capacity' and 'Tesla Pickup truck will cost less than $50,000'. Only time will tell, but it might get the attention of those who tow an RV or other trailer.
https://electrek.co/2019/07/03/tesla-pickup-truck-overtakes-ford-f150-ta...

dedsec69 | 2019年7月6日

test123

dedsec69 | 2019年7月6日
David N | 2019年7月7日

Elon said just last week at the E3 Conferance that the truck will have a "slight blade runner feel to it", "looks weird, not normal", "differant".
It can be seen on youtube at Nowthisnews.
https://youtu.be/XHUCGNDoWp4
scroll to the 31:30 mark

roy_h | 2019年7月10日

I'm in the market for a new car, but looking at the rolling bland boxes on the roads - I've become a bit aloof to the car industry. Nothing on the road say "this is the car I should drive" ... till now. It would be great to be the first to roll out in the Rivian with enough horsepower to drag the community into the next generation of technology.

jordanrichard | 2019年7月10日

There is no way the pick up truck would be based on a semi truck frame. A vehicle of that weight class would require a CDL license.