Forums

Scraped my rim on the curb :(

Scraped my rim on the curb :(

Just like the title states, I scraped my rim on the curb. Not that bad, but any suggestions or recommendations for a fix?

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年7月2日

A right of passage. Some Tesla service centers have rim repair guys. Post your location so you can get location specific recommendation.

Brian | 2019年7月2日

Right rear?
That is the one that I marked up....twice. I never do that. Many have done the same wheel. Something about the wheel base, track width, the placement of the driver, the alignment of the stars, etc. I'll be buying a replacement, and then will have this one fixed and use it as a spare that will probably be stored in the garage most of the time.

Brian (The one from Massachusetts)

texxx | 2019年7月2日

Right rear. Guilty as charged.

TM3Q | 2019年7月2日

I use my scratch rim for winter season with the aero cap on and keep all the nice rim without the aero cap for summer tire :-)

In winter no ones look at the rim as it's covered in snow and dirt :-)

jjyst5 | 2019年7月2日

If you have the 18" aeros I recommend doing the following:
1) remove wheel cover
2) use rough grit (~200 or so but start higher and go lower if necessary) lightly by hand to smooth out the damage. try to follow the curvature as much as possible doesn't have to be perfect. Put tape on the tire and wheel rim area around where you are sanding so you don't sand where you don't want to.
3) increase the sandpaper grit gradually until 1000 or even 2500 at the end.
4) clean very good with alcohol and let air dry (just a couple of minutes if using alcohol.
5) apply paint using this: Dupli-Color AFM0360 Dark Shadow Gray Ford Exact-Match Scratch Fix All-in-1 Touch-Up Paint - 0.5 oz.. Amazon has it. A near perfect match for the 18" aero rims imo.
6) follow direction on bottle. I do 3 coats of paint and 2 of primer.

I had good results with this. half of my rim was chewed up when I let a friend take it for a spin! Then later I did it too in a rush. The rims stick out further than the tires so it is easy to do. I am now extremely careful and expect to never do it again...

paint link only for 18" aero as far as I know:

https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-AFM0360-Exact-Match-Scratch-Touch-Up/...

jjyst5 | 2019年7月2日

fixing number 6 above: 6) I do 3 coats of paint and 2 of clear coat (not primer. primer is in the paint).

Stinnett | 2019年7月2日

I recently scratched my right rear rim while parking at church (no divine intervention, sadly). It wasn't all that bad but I wanted perfection again, so I found a rim-repair shop in Louisville -- I live in southern Indiana where Teslas are rare. But the shop had some experience, and they did a great job for $125. The rim looks brand-new. It's a while-you-wait repair, taking a bit less than two hours.

www.awrswheelrepair.com/louisville

Life is good, but it's better in a Tesla.

M3phan | 2019年7月2日

@jjyst5, +1

Shesmyne2 | 2019年7月2日

Got a great guy in Bay Area..location?

Still Grinning ;-)

FactDoc | 2019年7月2日

my coworker scraped the front right one while parking at the end of the test drive I let him have in my car.’Now I don’t work with him anymore.

4barkie | 2019年7月2日

I did the same thing. Had the 2 days! So disappointing. I used Wheel Guys in Concord. I think the cost was $ 100. They did a great job.

Niel | 2019年7月2日

Yes! Right rear. Omg was so angry at myself. I’m in Southern California.

r1200gs4ok | 2019年7月2日

me too....very little 1”long...hardly see, except i felt it and was not happy.....light buff and it took off the rough edges.....can hardly tell...looking for some one in the Irvine. California area to do the work....any suggestions?

-TheJohn- | 2019年7月2日

Sympathy. Both I and the wife managed to do it once each.

CRAIGJFIFTY3 | 2019年7月3日

I did it the day I got the car, R/R. Then a couple of days later I got the R/F while parking. I'll get them fixed, eventually.

Lorenzryanc | 2019年7月3日

I can verify that what @jjyst5 said should work... that paint is a solid match. The fact that it goes to a FORD made me shudder a bit, but I suppose we wouldn't be here w/o old Henry.

Bulldawg | 2019年7月3日

Join the club. I had read warning after warning on the forum about how common this was, so I was prepared. Made it to Day 7.

FISHEV | 2019年7月3日

Tesla rims stick out beyond the sidewall, something my Prius and Subaur did not do so never an scrape on the wheel. 2nd week with the M3 and a big chunk of of the rear wheel.

1. Tesla service center will have a list of vendors who do this repair. A common question for them.
2. Get the rim protectors from Evannnex, TSportline or Taptes.

bmarkjones | 2019年7月3日

If you have the 19" sport wheels, here's a link to touch-up paint that matches: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073QYFBK1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin...

jimglas | 2019年7月3日

3 out of 4 here
So far …..

lbowroom | 2019年7月3日

Amazing!

DaShyt | 2019年7月3日

Time to Repair: Half a day (mostly waiting for paint to dry) Cost: About $160 (includes rim protection) Tools needed:
1. 220 grit sandpaper
2. 600 grit sandpaper
3. 1000 grit sandpaper
4. Painter's tape
5. Masking paper
6. IPA Rubbing Alcohol
7. Lint-Free Cloth
8. Rust-Oleum, Universal Advanced Formula, Metallic (spray) Paint & Primer In One, (color) Flat Soft Iron. Available from Home Depot or Lowes for about $12.
Apply 3-4 coats, on a warm day, 30-minutes between each. Nothing needed after final coat. Color and finish is an "exact" match. No applicator brush marks and no clear coat needed (high gloss). With proper cleaning and sanding, when finished you will have difficulty finding the repair area.

DaShyt | 2019年7月3日

Sorry. Cost about 30/40. not $160

jimglas | 2019年7月3日

@NRK: I use sequential files, but the same result
Easier on the hands

SteveWin1 | 2019年7月3日

I've got a right front and right rear that are scratched and sitting in my garage (valet's insurance paid for replacements). I've got a spare for my spare. :)

So far I haven't hit anything, personally, but this is definitely a very common occurrence.

jjyst5 | 2019年7月3日

Keep in mind that for the 18" wheels they are only $240 (when I spoke to Tesla last) for a new one although I can no longer find the 18" wheel on Tesla parts catalog. That is why I opted to do it myself along with lack of mobile wheel services in my area. However, not being an expert I spent about 6 hours doing the job so if you have free time it might be worth it. Plus there is a good chance you will do it again and repairing the second one is faster!

dangerl7e | 2019年7月3日

Haha! I went to this forum just out of curiosity, not because I scratched my RIGHT REAR RIM (RRR).
I have the narrowest in the world garage driveway and one time I was temporary moving my car out of the garage to sweep it I turned a little too early... And felt it. Mine is not too bad and you can't see it even staring...

jjyst5 | 2019年7月3日

Actually here is the part number for the new 18" wheel from the tesla parts catalog. You have to contact them for pricing if you want a new wheel. Of course you will have to have someone move your tire over or buy a spare tire. Might be good to have the spare for road trips as others have mentioned. You can make the dinged up Rim your spare.
Part: WHEEL, 18X8.5J ET40, AERO
Part number: 1234221-00-C

Frank99 | 2019年7月3日

Between me, my wife, and my two kids, my RRR looks like it's a castoff from the latest Mad Max film. Not gonna fix it until it's time for new tires, though - and the new tires will be wider to help protect the rim.

Niel | 2019年7月4日

Well, I don’t feel so bad now. Right of passage - so to speak as Magic 8 Ball states. Just that initial shock was a super downer.

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年7月4日

Rite of passage, sorry don't want my poor spelling to wear off.

otterdad | 2019年7月4日

I did it, too. Right rear. Not going to bother to fix it since it could well happen again.

ajgianoli | 2019年7月4日

Me, too. Left front.

kevin_rf | 2019年7月4日

Funny, my last rim scrape was the left rear, managed to nail the curb at the Dunkin Donuts drive through. A daily New England right of passage...

That reminds me to check the tire pressure and make sure it hasn't deflated.

ShaunyD | 2019年7月4日

Me too. Right rear. :(

M3NOICE | 2019年7月4日

Been there, done that. Rear-right. Now I am much more careful...

nhunguyen | 2019年7月5日

favorite "road rash" service in San Jose area?
Thanks!

peter | 2019年7月5日

Sorry to hear that you have scraped your rim.
I have seen this system fitted to M3 at one of the local detailers. The owner had scraped two rims before having the protection fitted and managed to scrap one wheel again. But this time the protector saved his rim!

https://www.alloygator.co.uk/?SID=qs8s4s2tuc5kosm3t2o3eff2t0

They look ok as well if you have the silver coloured rims and are hardly visible. I am planning to try a set for my M3 as well. I think one comment was that the rims are not protected by the tyre and are sticking out further than on other cars.

peter | 2019年7月5日

Sorry to hear that you have scraped your rim.
I have seen this system fitted to M3 at one of the local detailers. The owner had scraped two rims before having the protection fitted and managed to scrap one wheel again. But this time the protector saved his rim!

https://www.alloygator.co.uk/?SID=qs8s4s2tuc5kosm3t2o3eff2t0

They look ok as well if you have the silver coloured rims and are hardly visible. I am planning to try a set for my M3 as well. I think one comment was that the rims are not protected by the tyre and are sticking out further than on other cars.

3teslafun | 2019年7月6日

Confirm jjyst5 comments on paint to use. I "redid" my RR rim too.
But easier I used a Dremel with a cheap diamond birr on it. Only took 20 minutes. Was able to make it look good and with just put on 2 coats of the "Ford" paint jjyst5 recommends. Looks good until I find the net curb.

Dual LR aero wheels... A great car, and I especially appreciate the "no" maintenance.. no oil, brakes last forever.

estellegregory | 2019年7月6日

The problem is that the 18" (my experience) tire is so close to the rim and ground that I did it on my 2nd day - on a VERY low concrete curb by turning too sharply in a parking lot. The rim is at least 2" closer to the ground than my altima tires.
IMHO the car should come with an upfront warning to be extra careful :D

nick | 2020年2月22日

Great info here - thanks! I let my daughter drive us home from breakfast. She was shocked I let her drive my new 3. The tight steering and the 3's braking took her by surprise while taking a corner -- like everybody else, right rear! I feel better knowing how common this is. But tell you what, whatever it costs, it was worth letting her drive it. She lit up when she got behind the wheel. Later, she knew she clipped the curb but it never occurred to her to check for damage, and I'll never tell her. She'd feel terrible. One question -- after grinding and polishing, did anyone check the balance afterwards? A well-chewed up rim requires taking off a substantial amount of steel.

vmulla | 2020年2月22日

@nick,
I'd keep that scrape on the rim :)

surfpearl | 2020年2月22日

@nick - I had mine repaired yesterday and will have the balance checked even though my repair guy didn't seem to worry about it.

FISHEV | 2020年2月22日

$180 each to have wheels fixed and painted Tesla Silver. Then added the 245

FISHEV | 2020年2月22日

40/18 tires to provide rim protection, about .25”

nick | 2020年2月24日

@surfpearl: Following up to my comment/question about re-balancing a repaired wheel. I was over-reacting! At least in my case, sanding the damaged area (as many others have recommended) takes off so little material that I seriously doubt re-balancing is even a consideration! Thanks to all who shared tips on sanding and painting. I've done the sanding and polishing, just ordered the "Ford" paint! Tesla quoted me $350 for a rim and $58 to install. Considerable savings and, as someone else pointed out, might as well learn how to do this since the protruding rim is likely to suffer again! Thanks also go to a good buddy in the metal machining business who laughed when I showed him the damage. "Aluminum is soft, Nick. Get me some 200 grit and observe..." With a bit of care and patience, this seems to be a pretty simple DIY.

kevin_rf | 2020年2月24日

Been six months since my last rim scrape, wouldn't you know it... AAAaaarghhhhhh....

95dawg | 2020年2月24日

Never had nice cars with nice rims so first rash (RR) was a painful lesson. Now I take W-I-D-E right turns. lol

Vince.Curtis | 2020年2月24日

Contact Wheel Wizard as you are in So Cal 661-373-3232 ... they are amazing, I have had them out twice, rims look brand new.