Forums

Upgrading MR to LR battery & keeping RWD IGBT motor

I was wondering if it was possible to upgrade a mid range using one of the LR battery packs
currently being sold on ebay from a Tesla model 3 LR while also keeping the IGBT motor that I heard is in all mid range Tesla model 3s.
if it is possible what would the range and 0-60 times look like? would they be worse or better? thanks
I heard IGBTs is more reliable than MOSFETs although MOSFETs perform better in lower temperatures

shank15217 | 2019年7月13日

Yes, I upgraded my MR to LR with the MR to LR upgrade kit from the Tesla store. Screwdriver is needed.

vmulla | 2019年7月13日

@TeslaWRLD,
You're suggesting parts from wrecked 3s?
:) Are you serious?

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年7月13日

Salvage parts are used all the time. You may be able to ge a bigger pack but how would you get the software to make it work?

vmulla | 2019年7月13日

@Magic 8 Ball,
+1

Salvage parts for a mirror, door, bumper or such is one thing, battery is another thing isn't it? How would someone even check if everything is ok on it. The pack itself has a gazillion sensors, right?

There are experts out there, outside of TESLA, with the skilz.

I worked with engineers that could do just about anything just starting with first principles (geniuses).

vmulla | 2019年7月13日

@Magic 8 Ball,
Those experts wouldn't be asking the questions on this forum :)

No but they may be able to find one to help with their project. This is an initial enquiry. Funny you are jumping on this.

I have things I want that I can't do myself but I do some upfront research before undertaking.

inquiry

vmulla | 2019年7月13日

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

lbowroom | 2019年7月13日

Inspecting for physical damage is a very good indicator. Probably more accurate with a battery pack than with an engine. Why the hysteria over the battery? Repurposing batteries after use in a vehicle will be very commonplace in the future.

So that is you stirring the pot again and shrugging it off?

vmulla | 2019年7月13日

I'm suggesting against this route.

I am semi-seriously wanting to put my '51 Merc woody on an E-chassis. I have not measured wheel bases yet.

lbowroom | 2019年7月13日

Its like a higher tech version of swapping a 5.0 into a V6 Mustang. Not that I'd do it either, not likely to work out financially, but sounds like fun.

lbowroom | 2019年7月13日

But if you're the kind of guy who worries about voiding warranty by changing valve stem caps, I understand.

scherer326 | 2019年7月13日

@Shank15217, What do you mean by MR to LR upgrade kit found in Tesla store, I don’t see that anywhere. What does this do exactly?

scherer326 | 2019年7月13日

@Shank15217, What do you mean by MR to LR upgrade kit found in Tesla store, I don’t see that anywhere. What does this do exactly?

lbowroom | 2019年7月13日

That's sarcasm. Cleary there is no kit.

scherer326 | 2019年7月13日

K :-(

ROTFLMAO

Surprising how many are for sale on ebay and how many have, allegedly, sold. Some vendors offering multiples with "only one left".

rdavis | 2019年7月13日

My guess is... even if you can physically change the pack.. you’re not going to be able to change the software...

lbowroom | 2019年7月13日

Maybe the battery auto identifies? Yes, I know.... Speculative long shot

lbowroom | 2019年7月13日

I'm not skeptical of the sales. As model 3s are still under warranty, I assume people are using the cells for other purposes.

I am not really skeptical myself (ebay does have decent feedback and vendor monitoring). I look forward to EV rat rods.

us | 2019年7月14日

@TeslaWRLD you need to get in with the right to repair folks.
I won't link to the people working on reverse engineering the Tesla PCB as it is in early stages and is more for electrifying other vehicles and homes with Tesla parts.

Here are some folks that certainly have asked the same question or want the answer with you:
https://www.evwest.com (Long history with EV, conversions, Tesla parts)
https://electrifiedgarage.com/ (Rich Rebuilds-long history of do it himself, just starting helping others officially)

No affiliation with either. Just interest in the right to repair. It is these electron monkeys that are going to bring EV to every corner of our world. Off traveled roads and approved paths.

Atom12 | 2019年7月14日

Ask Rich @ Rich Rebuilds.

WantMY | 2019年7月14日

Good luck with that! Tesla is the most unfriendly DIY company in the world!

-TheJohn- | 2019年7月15日

Whereas you're only the 18th most annoying troll on the forums but at least your advice is 100% consistently bullshit.