Forums

The earth is indeed flat

The earth is indeed flat

The internet has the opportunity to educate all. It is sad to see how it becomes a source for alternate truth and facts. Many including some on this forum use the internet to skip studies and facts and go straight to their alternate facts. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-49021903

RedShift | 2019年8月4日

+1 Mitch.

Enough is enough..

blue adept | 2019年8月5日

@RedShift

Honestly, I think it's all just a cry for attention.

blue adept | 2019年8月5日

@Tesla2018

Among the other things others have mentioned that single Trump out as a racist is that he proudly proclaimed to be a "nationalist", explaining that that is his definition of his appreciation for America when what he should have said is that he is 'patriotic', as any truly pro-American non-xenophobe would know.

Oh, and did it ever occur to you that the baby began to cry because it threw up because it was sick?

As I've explained before, you were once that clueless, weak, dullard yourself when you were an infant/child...Imagine where you would be if no one bothered to care for and nurture YOU despite all of your shortcomings at that age.

blue adept | 2019年8月5日

@RedShift

A pitiful, desperate cry for attention.

sabbia | 2019年8月5日

Note to Tesla2018. Most people here illegally are illegal because of visa overstays. https://www.rollcall.com/news/congress/border-illegal-immigration-visa-o...

Maybe he will yell at me like he yells at babies. That is, I don't understand him and he admits that he gets frustrated when people don't understand him.

blue adept | 2019年8月5日

@MitchP85D

Despite @SCCRENDO's support for your input on this issue I really don't appreciate your effort to deflect attention away from the primary cause of the problem with gun violence.

Much like your attempt to rephrase the reality of Global Warming as merely a natural occurrence by overlooking the fact that what took CENTURIES for the Earth to reach the sort of weather and temperature extremes we're seeing that has now occurred in only decades or even years, no one is denying the fact that these shooters have mental issues, we're just focusing on the actual cause of the problem instead of its effect in order to devise a solution.

It isn't just what is going on 'in between their ears", there's also the enabling effect of overly lax, even negligent, gun laws that allowed the mentally infirm to get their hands on the firearms in the first place whereas, had we sensible gun laws and restrictions in place, none of these psychopaths would have ever gotten their hands on any guns, let alone war-grade weaponry capable of inflicting mass casualties/damage.

That is the solution, that is how we "defend" ourselves, we enact common sense gun laws so that no one will ever have to be "sitting ducks in a pond".

MitchP85D | 2019年8月5日

Not trying to deflect anything blue. It is a highly unfortunate fact that there are sick, twisted, pathetic pukes that exist on this whirling rocky sphere in time and space. They love to kill people. White folks like me seem to have more than our fair share! But they exist everywhere. And they will come up with every justification/excuse in the book for their reasons to kill. They just like it. The instruments they choose is irrelevant. Just look at the Tsarnaev brothers and the Boston bombing. They intended to kill a lot more than they did. They did injure hundreds though. Would gun control legislation have stopped that? Would gun control legislation have stopped Tim McVeigh's OKC truck bombing? 911 attacks? I think allowing pilots to be armed would have stopped the 911 attack! Think how much cheaper that would have been. Would gun control legislation have stopped the vehicular terror attacks in Europe and Manhattan? Hell, Charlottesville for that matter!

No blue. I strongly disagree with you on this. THE PROBLEM DOES EXIST IN BETWEEN THE EARS!

You go ahead and try to change gun laws. I will continue to carry my 9mm.

MitchP85D | 2019年8月5日

And yes I am licensed and I have undergone a thorough FBI background check!

andy.connor.e | 2019年8月5日

Im one of those people that believes this is not a gun problem. Why people are killing is pretty important to know. As @Mitch said, a killer will kill with whatever kills.

SCCRENDO | 2019年8月5日

The rhetoric of the NRA and it's faithful followers has been that it is radical Islamic terrorists and even perhaps all Muslims that are terrorists. And they are going to get guns anyway from anywhere and the liberals are to blame. And the only solution is to arm everyone white with an arsenal so they can kill any terrorist or anyone they think might want to become a terrorist. Under Trump we have seen the rise in white nationalism and hatred and most terrorism in the US under Trump has been white nationalist terrorism. We need to stop creating hatred in this country, address mental illness and put in some rational controls on guns. Perhaps we should even treat the NRA and gun manufacturers as terrorist organizations.

I dont agree with the NRA. I think it has alot more to do with the fact that mass-murders tend to have alot of psychological problems, and are typically on one or more psychedelic medicines.

The trump issue you have stated is something that we cannot disregard but is very difficult to prove. It seems consistent as in some sort of pattern though.

RedShift | 2019年8月5日

“As @Mitch said, a killer will kill with whatever kills.”

That’s ignoring the ease with which you can kill in large numbers with a gun as opposed to say, knives.

These are as dangerous as bombs, and bom da aren’t legal.

Australia claimed back their guns. They are much safer than us, no?

New Zealand announced a ban on assault weapons soon after their gun incident.

Are they all mad, and we are so clever as to stick to ‘guns don’t kill people, people do” nonsense?

It’s not even that this is about the second amendment - that clearly states the need for a “well regulated militia”. The gun nuts are not a “well regulated militia”. These are assholes who buy bump stocks, carry all kinds of hate filled agendas, buy guns online, conceal carry them because some states allow that hat, then shoot up people.

We resort to the familiar phryne that ‘we need better mental care’. Even if that were the answer, which it is not, because these individuals had no history of mental illness, what’s Trump done about anything health related since he took office?

Oh yeah, he is fixing to take away the popular Obamacare system.

You guys should be ashamed to call yourself educated people, you gun nuts. For your fetish, America has to sacrifice school kids, innocents in the thousands every year?

RedShift | 2019年8月5日

*bombs aren’t legal

MitchP85D | 2019年8月5日

Thanks andy. I'm grateful somebody here agrees with me on something! I don't think the reason "why" serial killers kill is important. I think they just like it. Just as Clint Eastwood said in his classic "Dirty Harry" movie. Serial killers need to be tried, convicted, and executed rapidly! They don't need to be "studied." That is what they want. They kill a bunch of people, then claim they are sick, and that they need to be "studied" for the rest of their lives. They evade all responsibility. I hope the Texas killer gets quick Texas justice!

MitchP85D | 2019年8月5日

RedShift, your emotions are getting the best of you. Law abiding citizens aren't the ones who "shoot up people."

MitchP85D | 2019年8月5日

SCCRENDODO, you are wrong. The sales of AR-15 type semi-automatic rifles have GONE DOWN under Trump! The sales reached their peak when Obama was president.

MitchP85D | 2019年8月5日

The California and Ohio shooters were taken out. Kudos to their police!

"That’s ignoring the ease with which you can kill in large numbers with a gun as opposed to say, knives."

And i think that equally blaming guns and not considering why people are going around killing is ignoring half the issue. Perhaps there is a discussion to be had about size of clips and the such, but theres less emphasis on weapon regulation if you understand why people in your country want to go out and kill people. Its disingenuous to the problem to propose a "solution" to a problem in which we havent identified the problem yet. What is causing people to commit these mass killings? Perhaps someone else knows that answer.

NKYTA | 2019年8月5日

@andy, perhaps we'd know the answer if the NIH was allowed to scientifically study gun violence...

Perhaps. Thats probably a good place to start.

RedShift | 2019年8月5日

“And i think that equally blaming guns and not considering why people are going around killing is ignoring half the issue.”

Even if that were true, giving guns to potential lunatics and that too assault weapons is displaying extreme irresponsibility.

A lunatic who wants to kill will seek out guns as the number one choice. Not fists, not poison, not bombs.

That alone should make you pause and think why we cant even have ban on assault weapons.

But nooooo, we are ‘cleverer than that’.. :-|

Mitch dude, I get emotional when innocent people are killed. Perhaps you have different emotion.

"That alone should make you pause and think why we cant even have ban on assault weapons."

Because you have NOT identified the problem yet. You're offering a solution to a problem that has not been determined, and a study has not taken place yet. Is the solution to automotive accidents to ban all cars? Maybe thats the solution when you have such a low-resolution way of looking at things. Is it bad? BAN IT!

MitchP85D | 2019年8月5日

Or how about this one andy? Let's make a National speed Limit of 20 mph! That will reduce automobile deaths!

RedShift | 2019年8月5日

Sure Andy, it’s not like we have case studies and examples from other countries. Let’s begin an exercise to ‘study the problem’.

Don’t look at the elephant in the room. Please, keep studying the problem! It could be that mouse scurrying around.

MitchP85D | 2019年8月5日

But would that be an infringement on Freedom? Think about it.

RedShift | 2019年8月5日

Typical attempt at diversion and distraction. Always with an undercurrent of stupidity.

RedShift | 2019年8月5日

Freedom to kill people with assault weapons, illegal bump stocks?

Sure, the hell with your pseudo arguments.

I’m not against guns purely for self defense. So, try again with the knee-jerk ‘OMG, libs are coming for our FREEDOMs’ shit.

I’m against assault weapons. Illegal bump stocks. Stockpiling hubs in the tens or hundreds.

Nine of the above are allowed in other civilized societies.

But here.

We have to contend with a bunch of paranoid, ignorant and reactionary crowd.

Oh! I love my gun! More than your young ones! Let them die, but my gun, that’s a sacred cow!!!

finman100 | 2019年8月5日

I don't understand how the stupid gun nuts sleep at night knowing they help these mass shootings. no way we need more guns to solve this. just. plain. stupid.

oh well. good luck with all that.

SCCRENDO | 2019年8月5日

I clearly stated that guns were not the sole part of the problem. the issue of white nationalism, psychosis and indeed many other reasons need to be addressed. But the free availability of weapons of mass destruction without even decent background checks goes a long way to creating this situation. And there is no logical reason to allow people outside of the military to have these weapons. This is a large price for society to pay so people can go out and enjoy their sport of mass exterminating wildlife

jimglas | 2019年8月5日

I am a firm supporter of the second amendment!
Any member of a well regulated militia has the right to own a musket!

andy.connor.e | 2019年8月6日

Instead of blaming guns, i'd want to figure our what the problem is first. But i guess im just stupid

SamO | 2019年8月6日

Agreed. Must be the video games. /s

SCCRENDO | 2019年8月6日

We need to stop the supply of high caliber weapons and live ammunition for video games.

jimglas | 2019年8月6日

@andy: the problem is that people wanting to do harm can easily buy a weapon that lets them shoot 3 people per second

RedShift | 2019年8月6日

@andy

You could just look at Australia instead of spending your precious brain cells on studying the matter.

Or continue pretending you are studying the problem until tens or more more are killed every other month.

No rush, eh?

SamO | 2019年8月6日

If only there were some examples of countries that didn’t have easy access to firearms which we then could compare against countries that do have easy access to firearms. . . Oh well… I guess he’ll never know the truth.

People wanting to do harm could easily steal a car and run people over.

"Or continue pretending you are studying the problem until tens or more more are killed every other month."

Who? I see you've dove into the valley with this one.

Oh ya, this.

"You could just look at Australia instead of spending your precious brain cells on studying the matter."

Here we go again. Australia is doing something so lets copy them and the results will be the same. Because Australia is America. shallow low resolution thinking.

RedShift | 2019年8月6日

@andy

Can you give me the numbers comparison between cars as weapons and guns as weapons for the USA this year?

What do you think I am, an ‘Australophile’ and I love copying everything they do? Don’t be ridiculous.

You accuse me of ‘low resolution and shallow thinking’? Let me retort to you: you aren’t even thinking. You are just deflecting and trivializing.

teslu3 | 2019年8月6日

With nearly 40000 deaths by vehicles and by guns per year, we have become jaded to killing.
E.g., don't steal a car, use your car or a borrowed car to run someone over then say "oops, the sun was in my eyes" or some such - no problem, it was just "an accident". AP/FSD may eventually help reduce road deaths, but no such capability for guns.

jimglas | 2019年8月6日

We have the capability to make "smart guns" that would only works for the owner. But, you know, freedom …..

jimglas | 2019年8月6日

We have the capability to make "smart guns" that would only works for the owner. But, you know, freedom …..

Tesla-David | 2019年8月6日

Paul Krugman has an interesting take on the spike in racism and gun violence.

"The central story of U.S. politics since the 1970s is the takeover of the Republican Party by economic radicals, determined to slash taxes for the wealthy while undermining the social safety net.
With the arguable exception of George H.W. Bush, every Republican president since 1980 has pushed through tax cuts that disproportionately benefited the 1 percent while trying to defund and/or privatize key social programs like Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and the Affordable Care Act.

The problem for the GOP is that you can’t slash popular programs without giving the masses something for a distraction. They chose racism. Unfortunately the dog-whistle, plausibly deniable appeals to racism they started with became less and less effective over time. Like a drug addict, they had to keep increasing the dose. So here they are today.

In effect, then, the Republican Party decided that a few massacres were an acceptable price to pay in return for tax cuts. I wish that were hyperbole, but the continuing refusal of G.O.P. figures to criticize Trump even after El Paso shows that it’s the literal truth."
So as I said at the beginning, the G.O.P. has become a systematic enabler of terrorism. Why? Follow the money.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/8/6/1877096/-If-You-Only-Read-One-...

jimglas | 2019年8月6日

they cant be turrurists
they are white

MitchP85D | 2019年8月6日

Tax cuts and massacres? Now that's a valid connection!

Speaking of deflection, I've noticed many of you here don't want to deal with the evil, disgusting minds that love to kill people. You would rather attack the law abiding citizen! Now, who is being irrational here?

RedShift | 2019年8月6日

“I've noticed many of you here don't want to deal with the evil, disgusting minds that love to kill people“

Tell me, how would you have detected that the Ohio shooter needed mental health help? How about the Las Vegas gunman?

Do you now realize the scale? You’ll have to subject basically every man and woman to undergo a mental health check? What about those that pass and still go on to kill? Like the Las Vegas guy? Or this Ohio shooter who just liked to treat women cruelly. That’s all!

Jeez, you guys are off the rocker, trying to deflect from the main issue.

Doesnt matter. Some people have their minds made up what the solution is without fully understanding the problem, and not supporting more gun laws is deflecting and being insensitive to people dying. Valid argument.

RedShift | 2019年8月6日

@andy

So basically say that we have made up our minds without looking for alternative solutions?

Ok, let me play - show me your alternate solutions buster.

Let’s discuss.

We did already. And you already showed that you're against the idea of figuring out what is making people want to kill people and gun laws are the only solution. And actually played a game of guilt as if my actions of not imposing laws will cause more people to die. Not the type of person im interested in a discussion with.

Pages