Forums

The earth is indeed flat

The earth is indeed flat

The internet has the opportunity to educate all. It is sad to see how it becomes a source for alternate truth and facts. Many including some on this forum use the internet to skip studies and facts and go straight to their alternate facts. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-49021903

kapurvardhan | 2019年9月9日

NO IT IS NOT

kapurvardhan | 2019年9月9日

EARTH IS SPHERICAL IF YOU DONT BELIEVE IT CHECK THE LINK BELOW
https://www.timeseconomics.com

kapurvardhan | 2019年9月9日

it is not flat it is spherical in shape believe us or not but this is the evidence

https://www.timeseconomics.com/post/india-isro-destroyed-the-flat-earth-...

TabascoGuy | 2019年9月9日

Idiot!
Flagged!!!

blue adept | 2019年9月9日

@andy.connor.e

Freedom of speech is a democratic ideal that dates back to ancient Greece, a principle that supports the freedom of an individual or a community to express their opinions and ideas without fear of government restraint or retaliation and even stands as an encouragement for the diversity of thought.

It is a freedom that has been repeatedly tested many times over the years and has always prevailed.

Thing is there is expressing your opinion, and then there's spewing hatred and inciting violence by demonizing someone's complexion, ethnicity, religion, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability, we would all do well to recognize the very clear distinction between the two as, with that realization, all of the confusion would be alleviated.

BTW, 'hate speech' IS "offensive" in any language and that's what the Europeans have outlawed.

blue adept | 2019年9月9日

@rxlawdude

There's being "PC" and then there's being hateful, or forcing someone to accept your sexual perverse ideology, @andy.connor.e.

rxlawdude | 2019年9月9日

@blue, but when the few loudmouth people are offended over some language or behavior dictate what's acceptable, I'd argue we've swung the pendulum too far.

"Microagression," for example. Call boors, racists or haters out, sure. Yet when we take "PC" to the point where we ("normal") people have to walk on eggshells for fear of triggering someone's delicate (arguably hypersensitive) mores, we've gone too far.

Unfortunately, as with most things in our society, middle-of-the-road common sense has fled the US. Probably to Canada to escape our country's degeneration into Afghanistan tribalism.

SCCRENDO | 2019年9月10日

PC in general is a term coined by Foxnews and company to condone hate speech. What a white heterosexual male may not consider hate speech others who are not may have higher sensitivities for obvious reasons and that should be respected. I would say that a lot of that is in fact people using it on purpose to create offense. You even see this with the term “libtard” etc. used by the Trumptards on these fora. They are trying to offend even though it bounces off us

tew ms us | 2019年9月10日

Bill Maher (original host of Politically Incorrect) will be amazed to learn he's a tool of Fox News. Someone break the news to him gently.

Richard Grenell and Tammy Bruce should be notified, too.

Thankfully, Progressives have moved past PC speech - they just beat the crap out of conservatives while wailing about an imminent neonazi take over. The Pravda of Progressiveness (the media that makes things up and always seems to fool you) doesn't report that a gay, Asian, photojournalist was attacked. The victim was a conservative photojournalist - a pity that guy isn't as dead as David Koch - Right?

SCCRENDO | 2019年9月10日

Conservatives don’t deserve any PC. They are the bullies who name call the vulnerable and those who they perceive as the vulnerable. Sucks to get a taste of your own medicine Trumptard.

rxlawdude | 2019年9月10日

Hey @tew, when you see liberals posting stuff that's typical on the Fox "News" comment sections like "we need to get guns and bombs and get rid of liberals once and for all," please let me know.

You guys have brought a-holism to a fine art. Well, more crude than fine.

blue adept | 2019年9月10日

@rxlawdude

Agree, but then, it is not for us to ALLOW them to "dictate what's acceptable", is it?

Then it comes down to whether there were actual intent or not or, as I mentioned in a previous conversation (you know, the pharma one where you told me you had "[n]othing more to discuss"), what the 'context' of the exchange was, but the truly decisive factor is whether or not an individual was AWARE that they were being offensive which is more probable given that these splintered microcosms of ideologies themselves don't quite have a grasp on what is or should be considered offensive to them because they haven't a grasp on what they, themselves, are.

Yes, it is unfortunate that common sense doesn't seem so common anymore in this day and age where the boundaries that once defined the lines between right and wrong have been scuffed or wiped away altogether to the point where almost everything has blurred into a murky grey and our society has fallen prey to numerous opportunists who seem to have seized on the opportunity provided by the Interwebz, along with various media outlets, for use as platforms by these fringe elements of society who once remained in the remote corners of civilization but have now found outlets that allow them to voice and propagate their all to often skewed and adversarial ideologies to what has become an ever more receptive audience thanks to the increased complaisance of the somnambulant masses (possibly due to, among other detrimental influences, over prescribed opioids turning everyone into shiny, happy people"?").

I guess the bottom line is how can anyone be expected to know what is or isn't what's meant to be when no one really knows anymore these days in this upside-down world where there are facts, and then there are so-called "alternative" facts...:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSrEEDQgFc8

And the "truth isn't truth"...:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CljsZ7lgbtw

How can the public-at-large, let alone an individual, make sense out of such obvious cognitive dissonance when that's all we're being saturated with from even the highest office of our nation?!?

blue adept | 2019年9月10日

@SCCRENDO

Good points!

+1

andy.connor.e | 2019年9月11日

I dont condone hatred, and i also dont condone being forced to participate in ideologies.

rxlawdude | 2019年9月11日

@blue, agree with your sentiment re "truth," but your statement that we were talking about pharma when I asked you for a case on point regarding LEGISLATOR LIABILITY FOR CASTING A VOTE IN HIS/HER LEGISLATIVE BODY.

Then you claimed you were holding back because you were concerned that opposing counsel (implies you're a party already) would see your citation. Any opposing counsel that doesn't research the premise of the other party's legal basis isn't up to the standard of practice. In other words, if there is a case on point (which there is NOT, per Westlaw search of federal cases), counsel involved in litigation on both sides would find it.

rxlawdude | 2019年9月11日

first paragraph should end with "is not accurate." There was a side discussion, but the nub of our discussion centered around your contention that a legislator can be held civilly liable for a vote he/she casts in his/her official capacity.

robshrab | 2019年9月13日

Hey all!

blue adept | 2019年9月13日

@andy.connor.e

In a nutshell, but people require context these days to avoid the potential for the sort of confusion that is typical with blanket statements.

+1

blue adept | 2019年9月13日

@rxlawdude

Yes, the "pharma" bit was just a sidebar to the primary discussion for which I gave you "Romer" as a reference.

+1 for "truth".

Mike83 | 2019年9月14日

I suggest one google pictures of the earth from the moon yet the deniers will argue that it's fake or scientists are lying just like they do about the climate crisis.

Shabang | 2019年9月16日

If you stick a stick in the (sticky) ground, it will produce a shadow. The shadow moves as time passes (which is the principle for ancient Shadow Clocks). If the world had been flat, then two sticks in different locations would produce the same shadow.

andy.connor.e | 2019年9月16日

Boats also would not disappear from the horizon 10 or so miles from shore.

jimglas | 2019年9月16日

I cannot believe that this is an actual discussion

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 2019年9月16日

Explain hurricanes without a rotating spherical planet.

jimglas | 2019年9月16日

gods will
see how easy that is?

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 2019年9月16日

que?

andy.connor.e | 2019年9月16日

aliens

SCCRENDO | 2019年9月16日

@Neo. I bet you are going to burst my next bubble and tell me Mars is not round

blue adept | 2019年9月16日

@Shabang

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

blue adept | 2019年9月19日

@andy.connor.e

They are among us, some even live life as us...

We are NOT alone.

. . . . . . . . . + .
. . : . .. :. .___---------___.
. . . . :.:. _".^ .^ ^. '.. :"-_. .
. : . . .:../: . .^ :.:\.
. . :: +. :.:/: . . . . . .:\
. : . . _ :::/: . ^ . . .:\
.. . . . - : :.:./. . .:\
. . . :..|: . . ^. .:|
. . : : ..|| . . . !:|
. . . . ::. ::\( . :)/
. . : . : .:.|. ##### .##### ::|
:.. . :- : .: ::|.###### ..###### :|
. . . .. . .. :\ ####### :####### :/
. .+ :: : -.:\ ####### . #######.:/
. .+ . . . . :.:\. ###### ######..:/
:: . . . . ::.:..:.\ . . ..:/
. . . .. : -::::.\. | | . .:/
. : . . .-:.":.::.\ ..:/
. -. . . . .: .:::.:.\. .:/
. . . : : ....::_:..:\ ___. :/
. . . .:. .. . .: :.:.:\ :/
+ . . : . ::. :.:. .:.|\ .:/|
. + . . ...:: ..| --.:|
. . . . . . . ... :..:.."( ..)"
. . . : . .: ::/ . .::\

blue adept | 2019年9月19日

Well that didn't work out well.

jimglas | 2019年9月19日

I thought it was secret alien code

andy.connor.e | 2019年9月19日

it must be written in alien

blue adept | 2019年9月19日

@jimglas & @andy.connor.e

It was meant to be a written ASCII code alien face, but the site's formatting botched the hell out of it. :- (

blue adept | 2019年9月19日

: - (

blue adept | 2019年9月19日

Damn it!

blue adept | 2019年9月19日

¯\_(°_o)_/¯

blue adept | 2019年9月19日

@SCCRENDO

I wanted to take a moment to address a comment you made earlier in the discussion back on the 7th. page that stuck with me, specifically:

"I enjoy debating half wits for the sport."

Which might also manage to shed some light on the whole "The earth is indeed flat (and Mars is round)" conundrum...

Speaking for myself, I do not find any "sport" in having to correct people's misconceptions or thwarting their efforts to spread misinformation or propaganda in an effort to disseminate disinformation that leads to the sort of societal cognitive dissonance we're dealing with today.

blue adept | 2019年9月19日

@SCCRENDO

I don't know why, but for some reason the site is not allowing me to post the remainder of my reply to you.

blue adept | 2019年9月19日

FRAK!

andy.connor.e | 2019年9月19日

ヽ( ಠ益ಠ )ノ

SCCRENDO | 2019年9月19日

@blue adept. I guess it’s a difference of personality. I would like to get serious with all my discussions. But having been on these boards for years many trolls arrive. They have different opinions to me but are also ignorant and know not what they are talking about. I have tried logic but it fails and yet they persist and disrupt the thread. I could just withdraw but why should I withdraw from my own thread. So I get to play with them.

blue adept | 2019年9月20日

@andy.connor.e

I was thinking more along the lines of...

What the F%#&!! ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

+1

blue adept | 2019年9月21日

@SCCRENDO

'Sport' it is then, to each their own, though I do see how that prerogative could've evolved over the years.

I correct because they are wrong, you correct because because you find jest in their ignorance...Potato-potahto, good works nonetheless I suppose.

+1

blue adept | 2019年9月21日

@andy.connor.e

Alright, it was actually more like:

https://giphy.com/gifs/kristen-wiig-frustrated-unimpressed-Xj8orUvjQ2SLS

SCCRENDO | 2019年9月21日

I used to do that. I tried the logical approach with Mitch for yours. It just became a circular discussion. He would post I would refute and he would keep reposting the same drivel. Eventually he started adding the name calling. I showed as little progress as you. We tried to get rid of him but he persists in his nonsense so I may as well have some fun. Others appear who know even less than him. Initially I try with them but when they persist in their ignorance I give up and return to mocking. They remind me of the Trump surrogates who appear on the networks. They never answer any questions but persist with long unrelated speeches and get offended when interrupted.

SCCRENDO | 2019年9月21日

I used to do that. I tried the logical approach with Mitch for yours. It just became a circular discussion. He would post I would refute and he would keep reposting the same drivel. Eventually he started adding the name calling. I showed as little progress as you. We tried to get rid of him but he persists in his nonsense so I may as well have some fun. Others appear who know even less than him. Initially I try with them but when they persist in their ignorance I give up and return to mocking. They remind me of the Trump surrogates who appear on the networks. They never answer any questions but persist with long unrelated speeches and get offended when interrupted.

blue adept | 2019年9月21日

@SCCRENDO

I see that sort of behavior (ignoring reason or information or evidence that directly contradicts whatever their point is) as just a cry for attention which they work to maintain for as long as possible with their antagonistic antics.

I don't have the patience or time for trolls or the litany of idiocy they spout.

Have fun!

blue adept | 2019年9月21日

Now if only we could manage to get something done about the epidemic of gun violence that is plaguing our nation and killing our children, family, friends and fellow citizens.

blue adept | 2019年9月21日

@andy.connor.e

Everyone wants to point a finger, wants to find someone or something to scapegoat for the blame for these senseless shootings, yet no one has yet managed to surmise just what is the actual "cause" of all of this gun violence, in fact, it is likely multifaceted as it is impossible to narrowed it down to but one, specific "cause" or motivating factor.

But trying to blame digital domains or social media websites (as some politicians and others are trying) is akin to blaming schools for having children in them; Churches for having a congregation composed of a specific demographic; Theaters for having all ages of people in them; Concert venues for having teenagers at them, or nightclubs or newspaper agencies or Walmart's or manufacturing plants or any number of any of the other random, ambiguous places these wackos turned up at and just began slaughtering people for the hell of it when, in reality, they're all just objective, neutral platforms to which people bring their particular brand of crazy to and impose it on innocent bystanders, nothing more, and it is farcical to even think that you cannot regulate human behavior.

However the one thing that we are certain of, the one thing that we can do something about now, is get some damn common sense gun regulation laws passed to help eliminate one more tool from the relative arsenal available to those so inclined to manifest their hatred.

Doing nothing because we don't think it will stop people from being violent or because we can't make up our minds on what the underlying cause is doesn't mean that we shouldn't do anything at all &/or what we can do to curb the spread of the violence by limiting the bad actors among us access to the type of weapons that were specifically designed to inflict mass casualties, neutering their ability to manifest their violence on the public-at-large at will in the process.

We CAN do this because we ARE better than this!

Pages