Forums

Windshield wipers

Windshield wipers

There must be a forum for this. Automatic setting speed needs to be adjustable like every other car. It’s too slow to trigger and in storms with variable or heavy downpours it’s much too distracting/ dangerous to have to keep switching speeds on the monitor. Especially at night. The adjustments should be on the scroll wheels or stalks.

M3phan | 2019年8月18日

Press the left stalk button for a quick swipe

rob | 2019年8月18日

@M3phan
I prefer that as well over Auto

gmr6415 | 2019年8月18日

@sadwith, I have to disagree. I'm in Central FL and get rain almost daily. For me the wipers are much better than a year ago to the point they work almost perfectly. On a rare occasion I do have a time or two when they don't seem to start soon enough and as M3phan stated I hit the left stalk button to get them going. It seems that that first wipe moves some of the water on the windshield past the cameras and after that they work well...almost like priming them.

82bert | 2019年8月18日

Auto wipers are fantastic over the last several updates.

Zooner | 2019年8月18日

Auto wipers don’t work consistently. That’s why Tesla has labels them Beta (in manual). Having something that is shipping to customers and still be beta means it’s a failed implementation. Tesla should be embarrassed that they can’t impleme a feature cars have had for decades.

FISHEV | 2019年8月18日

"The adjustments should be on the scroll wheels or stalks."@sadwith

Common complaint and a safety issue but Tesla has not acknowledge it's a problem so no plans to fix it. Looks like they can't fix it on the Model 3 without an expensive kit to add a stalk and run controls though it or program it to wheels but that would mean changing functionality there and Tesla may not have the leeway to do that.

Light, wipers, steering wheel adjustment need to be on dedicate controls as they are on S and X.

Be interesting to see if Tesla tries to fix it on the Model Y.

M3phan | 2019年8月18日

Pretty sure Tesla improvements are not decided on by majority or minority vote…that said, many of us don’t want/need to go down the road of adding extra knobs, disks, switches bc we find the existing set up works fine to well. I get it, some don’t like it, but oh well.

M3phan | 2019年8月18日

And it’s clear the model 3 interior is an intentional departure from the S and the X, which many of us actually like as an improvement…don’t want the extra stalk and switches that I’ve experienced in the S, no way. I don’t find the S an improvement in any way, shape or form. It’s too busy/cluttered… Love the simplicity of my 3.

howard | 2019年8月18日

Zooner

“Tesla should be embarrassed that they can’t impleme a feature cars have had for decades.”

+1

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年8月18日

Everything positive Tesla is a -1 from howard
Everything negative Tesla is a +1 from howard

Rinse and repeat.

kevin_rf | 2019年8月19日

The way the wipers deliver wiper fluid to the windshield does suck. It does not clean right in front of the driver. The auto function on them is okay as long as you are not in a road spray situation where the bottom of the window is getting coated long before the sensor at the top.

Room for improvement all around.

garretn | 2019年8月19日

They still need some work but seem a lot better. At times mine run on a dry windshield when I first get in the car. That is embarrassing since there is no moisture on the windshield at all and the wipers are running and not just for one or two wipes.

EVRider | 2019年8月19日

If the auto wipers work well, there’s no need for physical wiper controls because you won’t need them. Why would Tesla add controls rather than make the wipers work better?

SalisburySam | 2019年8月19日

Datapoint: yesterday while completing a 1300-mile trip I went through a quick but very intense rainstorm, the first rain I’ve encountered since updating to 24.4. For the first time in 13 months of ownership, I thought the wipers on Auto setting worked as I would have chosen. Very good experience. As an aside, the auto high beams also worked very well both in rural and urban areas. Now about that worsening phantom braking though...

CharleyBC | 2019年8月19日

I used to agree with this thread. Auto wipers were poor, and I often had to switch to manual, which is distracting because of the UI.

But as of earlier this year (2019.12, maybe), it got much better. It’s right there with me through light spritzes and frightening downpours. I never use manual anymore. Now and then a pulse by touching the stalk button, usually for spray from other vehicles’ tires.

Happy customer here.