Forums

How to clean and lubricate rear brakes?

How to clean and lubricate rear brakes?

I want to start cleaning and lubricating my brake myself. I'm already rotating my wheels myself.
I have watched a couple of videos and to disengage the parking rear brakes, they put the car in neutral and disconnect the connector to the parking brake on the caliper.
Is this the best way to do it?
Can you just put the car in transport mode from the service menu?
I read somewhere that the parking brake will re-engage after 20 minutes from switching to transport mode.

Anyone have a good video to recommend?

JAD | 2019年9月14日

Why? There is no maintenance to do. Just wipe any dirt you don't like off with a wet towel.

Bighorn | 2019年9月14日

@JAD
In northern climes, they’ve started recommending annual brake service, primarily lubricating to prevent seized pistons. I had to replace the full set ups up front due to corrosion. Pads were great at 200k miles (down about a mm) until one caliper bound and took me down to the wear indicator.

JAD | 2019年9月14日

Good to know Bighorn, thanks. Not an issue in socal.

miguelcampeau | 2019年9月14日

i live near Montreal so winters are harsh and they use a lot of road salt to melt snow which is not great for brakes.
My parking brakes are making a loud squeaking sound everytime they are activated so I figure they need cleaning and some lubrication.