Forums

Anyone have V10? what can you tell us about it

Anyone have V10? what can you tell us about it

I've read that V10 is rolling out to owners in the early access program. What are the significant changes?

M3phan | 2019年9月15日

Here’s a link to an article that reveals what’s in it:
https://electrek.co/2019/09/15/tesla-v10-first-look-release-notes-features/

jebinc | 2019年9月15日

Well, the navigation item seems helpful...

bjrosen | 2019年9月15日

I saw that article, it's mostly crap, who cares about games. I was wondering about useful improvements. The mentioned a little about navigation but not if they've addressed any of the glaring deficiencies such as the lack of multiple waypoints, the lack of an Avoid Highways Modes, the lack of alternative routes. Those are all things that Google Maps has, I'm hoping that they get added to Tesla navigation in V10.

gadget63 | 2019年9月15日

bjrosen, that's why I still use Waze to navigate

3500HDP3D | 2019年9月15日

It would be nice to be able to opt out of games! But keep Fart mode

majassow | 2019年9月15日

Opt out? Are games killing your mileage?

howard | 2019年9月15日

More entertainment!! The worlds most expensive portable game arcade. Can Tesla not make actual driving improvements or have they hit a wall?

jamilworm | 2019年9月15日

@Howard - game improvements and driving improvements are not mutually exclusive.

howard | 2019年9月15日

There has been a lot more games/entertainment/superfluous features lately than driving improvements. Just saying

Daryl | 2019年9月15日

I was hoping for driving/Autopilot/NoA improvements, but it looks like mostly fluff.

We might have to wait for Hardware 3 before we see any big improvements in Autopilot.

bruryan | 2019年9月15日

For me, entertainment is not worth anything. When I picked up my 3 in November of last year I let the car drive me the hundred miles of highway home. Since then I've picked up phantom braking and stuttering misgivings about what the road ahead is. So no, all the improvements in eap have been a disappointment. Oh, I know I should be happy with fart control and the ability to play kids games. I don't supercharge that often and even if I did I wouldn't want to sit in the seat extra time to watch a clip of a movie.
Those things and the fact that auto wipers have devolved into worthless makes me look forward to drive fixes not fluff mainlining.

ab-tesla | 2019年9月15日

I saw that article too. Wow, V10 is lame! Just more obsolete games and seriously "Feeling Lucky or Hungry". UGH! Who's coming up with these silly ideas at Tesla, some 15 year old kid? What happened to Advanced Summon? Here's a novel idea, how about improved mapping, even accurate maps. My neighborhood has many incorrect streets and navigation often suggests turning down one way streets the wrong way.

I've also heard the latest Model 3's now beep going froward and backward like some toy car.

Silly me I bought Full Self Driving almost 2 years ago and my M3 still can't even parallel park. Now that would be a worthy improvement.

lbowroom | 2019年9月15日

Road data is provided by google. Noise is federally mandated and doesn’t sound like you describe it.
Silly you? Well yes, silly you.

JAD | 2019年9月15日

I really wish they would quit giving me all this FREE stuff and simply provide FSD. I am sure Google, Apple, Uber and others are releasing FSD any day now as they haven't added any games to their programs and the fun items that some people may not want for free from Tesla are the reason Tesla doesn't have FSD. Right?

M3BlueGeorgia | 2019年9月15日

@JAD
I'd just be interesting in speed limit subsystem that read signs AND used its database.

Then I'd be really interested in a red light detection system which knew where the red lights were and read them and braked for me so I wouldn't run a red light.

Then I'd be really interested in a Stop/Yield detection system which handled that kind of junction.

I suspect people with HW3 would be interested in a build which it at least partially was optimized for their faster processor, but if Tesla pushed that out, they'd suddenly be faced with a torrent of FSD licensees screaming for their HW3 upgrade.

shawncordell | 2019年9月15日

V10 seems solid to me. Can’t wait to get it.

howard | 2019年9月15日

lbowroom Silly you? Well yes, silly you.

Come on even you have to admit there is very little if anything directly improving the driving features of the M3 in what has been reported so far for V10. It is extremely disappointing to say the least.

calvin940 | 2019年9月15日

Ditto.. I'm. In. Car gets better every update.

shawncordell | 2019年9月15日

@Calvin Yup!!

Pepperidge | 2019年9月15日

Autopilot is much better.

JAD | 2019年9月15日

@M3Blue, then buy the other cars that do that stuff. And let me know which car does all of that as I have never heard of it. Or could my point that the games and fun stuff that many of us like are not actually the reason Tesla doesn't have FSD or the features of it you described. Maybe they are working on that stuff AND provide other features in the meantime until they feel they can safely implement stop sign awareness to the people who will fall asleep in town or hang oranges from the steering wheel so the car drives itself while they text. It isn't everyone, but if even a few people are that dumb, which they are, it can kill innocent people and really hurt Tesla. Those are major safety systems and need to work quite well, not just pretty well because of the misuse that will occur.

M3phan | 2019年9月15日

@JAD, “Maybe they are working on that stuff AND provide other features in the meantime until they feel they can safely implement stop sign awareness...”
Agree. The more serious drive tech is being tested constantly and rolls out when it works more consistently than not. I get it. We are an impatient bunch. But we are also a fortunate bunch to have a car that updates regularly with both the fun and the fantastic.

casun | 2019年9月15日

sounds like howard and a few others don’t understand how release notes work. what a surprise.

EVRider | 2019年9月16日

The people who already have V10 aren’t allowed to talk about it, so you’ll have to rely on what’s reported in the media.

hoffmannjames | 2019年9月16日

V10 will have a lot of AP improvements, folks. The games are just what Tesla likes to advertise in the release notes. But release notes don't include AP changes.

howard | 2019年9月16日

That way there is no expectation with the important stuff. Just play the "games". Oh, all the games we play.....

Randyb359 | 2019年9月16日

ab-tesla the maps are based on Google maps. If there are any errors you can go to Google maps and notify them so they get corrected. The location of my house was incorrect so I notified them. A couple weeks later I got an email that said I was correct and gave me the date it would be fixed on the map. Took about two months from the time I reported it and the time it was fixed.

MAB1980 | 2019年9月16日

While I agree it might be nice to remove the game button from the menu, I find it highly unlikely that developing them is a significant level of effort for Tesla. They may have interns do it. It may cost them some finite resources, but not enough to be detrimental to driving features, most of which are behind the scenes, not something you’ll see on a screen.

Joshan | 2019年9月16日

Its amusing how a guy who repeatedly tells us he "Never uses FSD" is now an expert on it and is telling us how it is not improving.... More BS from a usual BSer.

How can you be an expert or know anything about something you admittedly DO NOT USE. Let us people who actually use it every day for most of our drives handle it, as we actually know what we are talking about. We are not just talking our our arse.

Joshan | 2019年9月16日

I will GUARANTEE there is not on person on the FSD coding team working on video games. But he just keep talking nonsense, it lets us see who the dumbarses are.

MAB1980 | 2019年9月16日

Joshan, I wouldn’t be so sure. There may be FSD people who also develop games because they want to. “And,” not “or.”

I’d put it another way: it is unlikely anyone is developing games instead or at the expense of FSD.

82bert | 2019年9月16日

@howard has gone full troll. Nice.

jebinc | 2019年9月16日

Who wouldn't like a free update? Yeah, V10 "appears to be" mostly "parlor tricks and gimmicks," but you didn't pay for it, so if you don't like those things, ignore them. Now.... if you paid for FSD, and V10 leaves you holding the preverbal "bag" once again, that's another matter entirely... (supporting the lies and deceit working hypothesis, some have). Time will tell... how much time, remains the operative question now, doesn't it?

vmulla | 2019年9月16日

I snagged an invitation to experience V10 tonight :)
Can't wait for it to be 6pm.

The owner of the car shared some images of the visualization - it's very impressive. The same kind of quantum jump in visualization we saw coming into v9. Just from the few seconds of video I saw, dancing cars are on their way out.

With improved visualization we can expect improved AP. That's all I care about.

legna_fo_htaed | 2019年9月16日

Man what if the cars didn't update? What would some of y'all complain about then?

Effopec | 2019年9月16日

The features that I have heard are coming soon (but not necessarily in V10) I haven't heard any confirmation:

Smart summon
traffic light & stop sign recognition
voice to text and text to voice functionality

Just hoping those are in there

lbowroom | 2019年9月16日

Howard, did I even mention V10 features that I know nothing about?

Ab-tesla complained about google map woes and the federal governments mandate for noise generation as if it were Teslas doing.

bruryan | 2019年9月16日

The owner of the car shared some images of the visualization - it's very impressive. The same kind of quantum jump in visualization we saw coming into v9. Just from the few seconds of video I saw, dancing cars are on their way out.

With improved visualization we can expect improved AP. That's all I care about.

What is the infatuation with dancing cars? They were not there in one software and then they were, now they may not be. So what, doesn't imply anything. Dancing cars may be more entertaining than cuphead to me. Or scaleable cars on a screen? What? I'm not playing with the screen while I'm driving, especially if the GD EAP is phantom braking. Or any number of other issues that come and go, What gets me is the actual serviceability of EAP is getting worse. What is on the screen is the last thing I care about. They could be stick figures and I would be just as happy.

lbowroom | 2019年9月16日

"What gets me is the actual serviceability of EAP is getting worse"

I don't understand what you mean by this? serviceability?

M3phan | 2019年9月16日

One function may be a precursor to future more developed function.

M3phan | 2019年9月16日

You IT/computer programmer type guys and gals out there can let me know if I’m thinking about this correctly:
For example, if FSD requires “XYZ” functions, would one way to carefully roll out FSD is to first release “X function”, test it, make sure it’s vetted, then release it widely...then release “Y function” for testing, vet it, then release it widely. And so on. Does that make sense? Is that a way to get us to FSD responsibly? If so, then this is what I mean when I say one function may be a precursor to a future more developed function.

MAB1980 | 2019年9月16日

@M3phan yes and no/it depends. Any time you update software you have to regression test it to ensure you didn’t break something going back. If X, Y, and Z are truly independent, piecemeal might be a great idea. Chances are there are interdependencies.

Disclaimer: I’m a hardware guy, but have lead engineering efforts which developed software along side the hardware.

andy | 2019年9月16日

We’ll know that FSD is on the way when the car recognises temporary advisory and mandatory variable speed limits, slows down in advance of the speed limit change, responds to lane closures (and the use of the hard shoulder as a running lane) and can track vehicles at 90 degrees on roundabouts so that it knows whether or not to give way.

The car drives beautifully and it is the best thing I have ever bought (wedding ring excepted), but there is also a lot of scope for future development on the software and there are also a lot of differences between countries in road design and traffic law that need to be factored in.

TeslaTap.com | 2019年9月16日

@JAD "I really wish they would quit giving me all this FREE stuff and simply provide FSD"

Each game requires about 1-2 man-weeks to port to our cars
FSD - requires thousands of engineering man-years

So if the game engineers could be reassigned to the FSD project (and the skill sets are quite different), it might deliver FSD a few seconds sooner if they were already skilled in FSD.

Consider that for many huge complex software projects, adding engineers mid-project actually causes it to take longer as it takes other engineers to bring new engineers up to speed while work they were doing stops.

I'm not advocating for games, but from a development perspective, games have a negligible effect on FSD. Developing FSD is a massive, highly complex project that has huge safety requirements.

shell.robb | 2019年9月16日

For anyone that has the early access "v10," could you check if the wheel configurator has an aero option without the hubcaps?

bruryan | 2019年9月16日

Ibowroom
EAP worked well when I first got the car nearly a year ago. Now it wants to stop in the middle of the road for no reason. Sees things only it can see. So no, as far as I am concerned there have been no improvements in the workability of EAP.
Oh, it might need a handshake to change lanes, bfd, all I had to do was flip the turn lever, now you need to shake the steering wheel, that is even less intuitive. Is that what constitutes improvement? Maybe not, but having the unique ability to make fart sounds is?

vmulla | 2019年9月16日

@bruryan,
What are you talking about. About a year ago EAP just caught up with AP1 capabilities. Today EAP is way more reliable.
Yes we nitpick on the system and discuss occasional bugs, but in the larger context it made huge strides since last year.

bruryan | 2019年9月16日

Not to my mind, as I said earlier, I picked the car up from Tesla, drove it 100 miles in the dark to home. Not a single issue, no stumbling, no braking except for physical reasons. It wouldn't do on-ramps or off-ramps, but I defy you to trust NOA EAP on an off-ramp now.

@bruryan - Just drove over 500 miles this weekend with > 50% on EAP. While not perfect, worked exceptionally well and far better than a year ago. I think maybe it slowed slightly a couple of times (under 5 mph slower) where I didn't see a reason for it to do so. Also, it will slow when going around some freeway to freeway connectors, and you can see the speed limit sign show a reduced speed during that second of roadway (85 to 101 for those in the Bay area). Seems normal to me and it's not a sudden braking event.

I've never heard of EAP stopping in the middle of the road without a car directly in front, and it's never happened to me. If it actually stopping in the middle of the freeway with nothing in front, I'd stop using it immediately and contact Tesla to have your car looked at. Something is clearly wrong.

...section of roadway...

Pages