Forums

Tesla vs. Porsche

Tesla vs. Porsche

No, this has nothing to do with Plaid vs. Taycan, just some good fun with my RWD Model 3 running against a Porsche 911 SC at Willow Springs.

https://youtu.be/V3F3yWIO9ow

As part of an advanced time-trial driving school put on by the Alfa Romeo club this weekend, I was paired on track with a competition driver in his Porsche 911 SC. Oddly enough, the 2700 lb. Porsche is in the same racing class as the RWD Model 3 based on weight to HP ratio and adjusted for modifications. The head-to-head competition was great fun. The school was held at the Streets of Willow springs utilizing a number of different course layout variations, including the wet and dry skid pad. I highly recommend the school for anyone looking to lower their lap times, learn to wheel-to-wheel race, or just get a ton of seat time on track.

JAD | 2019年9月16日

Looks fun but please get a new camera with image stabilization! They are really cheap and maybe overlay with RaceRender.

one.more.again | 2019年9月16日

Really bad, I know. They wouldn't let us have our phones in the car (actually made me use my key card!) and no cameras were allowed on the windshield, so the placement of the old gopro on the back roof was last minute.

vmulla | 2019年9月16日

I turned up my volume for a bit before I realized this is video from inside a Tesla :)) ofcourse there's no growling

Nice video. Next time play something on the sound system, the YouTube experience is kinda bland without the audio :)

Good ideat, I should have queued up "Electric Slide" for the wet skid pad!

spuzzz123 | 2019年9月16日

Wow can a RWD really challenge a 911? Maybe it was an older model? Or maybe the 3 has the better driver?

I’ve been feeling insecure about my RWD esp in these forums where everything seems to be AWD or P

Kary993 | 2019年9月16日

That was a very old 911...the RWD 3 should beat it every time simply because that track was like a larger autox not a real race track. The M3 acceleration would kill that old 911 coming out of each corner easily.

One of the things I like about AROSC is that they conduct races and time-trials with a classing system, similar to NASA or SCCA. (Weight to HP ratio adjusted for modifications) My RWD Model 3 with UP lowering springs, 9.5 in wheels, 200 TW 265/35 tires, MPP Front Rotors and PartyBox VSC defeat qualifies for the "P" class. This is fun because cars in this class range from low weight/low HP cars like some Miata, S2000, Porsche SC, and AR Junior, to heavier cars like the Mustang GT and the RWD Tesla.

This was one of the class P leaders in his 1982 Porsche 911 SC. I had gone up against him in the past at Big Willow, where he beat my time by over 4 seconds, so it was fun to hang with him on this twisty short track.

spuzzz123 - The RWD is a great car on the track. While top speed and acceleration get all the press, momentum driving is where the fun is. Straights are for fast cars, corners are for fast drivers!

If you want to see what a really good driver can do, check out Steven Chan in his RWD at Buttonwillow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gslqTfJ63wI

While many Model 3 performance drivers are pushing hard to break 2:10, Steven is in the 2:05s with nearly 200 less HP!

Kary993 | 2019年9月16日

Need to make sure you are comparing the same lap configuration there. appears was not using the Star Mazda.

All references are to CW13 times.Randy Pobst ran a 2:01.79 on that configuration in a Performance Model 3 with Track Mode. A RWD staying within 3.5 seconds of that time requires a solid driver.

spuzzz123 | 2019年9月16日

Interesting info thanks one.more

JAD | 2019年9月17日

If you are looking for more track time, you should come out and play with PCA. i think this weekend at Big Willow is about sold out, but Chuckwalla in October or Buttonwillow in November could be fun.

one.more.again | 2019年9月17日

Sounds good JAD. I'd like to get back to buttonwillow, I'll check on the November dates.

one.more.again | 2019年9月17日

One more from the weekend, this time chasing a BMW M3.

https://youtu.be/d_WS9FIbEvw

surfpearl | 2019年9月17日

May want to edit a bit - on the tail end of this run is the beginning of the original run... one more time again :)

AWDTesla | 2019年9月18日

Since were posting track vids :)

https://vimeo.com/357575759

Excuse the rookie hand positions. I swear my hands are usually at 9 and 3.

track; Calabogie Motorsport in Ontario, Canada. 5.05 KM long. Its my happy place.

JAD | 2019年9月18日

Nice, looks like a very fun track!

one.more.again | 2019年9月18日

Yes, great track! I not used to seeing kph, spent most of the video just doing the math.

AWDTesla | 2019年9月18日

1/2 mile race this weekend.

https://salutetospeed.ca/

wanted to do the high speed auto cross, but the place is 2.5 hours away and drivers meet is at 8am for the auto cross. Babysitter wont come at 5am??? Why not? lol.

AWDTesla | 2019年9月18日

@JAD, its so much fun. Lots of high speed corners, lots of elevation changes with blind corners. You gotta commit!

Kary993 | 2019年9月18日

JAD are there chargers out at Chuckwalla for model 3's?

JAD | 2019年9月18日

Yes, the cabins of course have 120 for overnight charging and there is a 240 plug behind the food window. I wouldn't exactly call them chargers, but they work. Just top off in Indio on the way there and you are good for the weekend.