Forums

Does raven version model s supercharge faster?

Does raven version model s supercharge faster?

We are in the midst of our bi annual cross country trip in our 2014 model s 85 and noticing the slower supercharging rates vs prior years.

I am wondering if the new model charges significantly faster (maybe not as fast as a model 3 who are reporting great speeds at the charging stops this trip).

Can anyone point me to info about charging rates of the new ones vs older like ours? Might be time to upgrade if there is a significant difference in amount of time charging on our 2500 miles drives.

Thanks

Bighorn | 2019年9月17日

I've seen where the Raven is supposed to charge at 200kW at the V3 superchargers vs 250kW for LR Model 3s. My old Model S didn't charge any faster--more like 90 kW.

Boonedocks | 2019年9月17日

"Faster Charging
Paired with the new more efficient drivetrain design, Model S and Model X are now capable of achieving 200 kW on V3 Superchargers and 145 kW on V2 Superchargers. Together, these improvements enable our customers to recharge their miles 50% faster"

https://www.tesla.com/blog/longest-range-electric-vehicle-now-goes-even-...

mizunosan | 2019年9月17日

I was getting 135+kW during my road trip a couple of days ago in my 2018 Model S. That was on a 150kW Supercharger. I only needed 10-15 min for me to get to my next stop, but my wife and I needed a bathroom break, and needed some food, so our puny human bodies needed more time than what the car needed.

mizunosan | 2019年9月17日

Oh... and as you already know, even at a faster speed, the speed tapers off rather quickly once you hit 50% and then even more as you get to 80%, so it's not like you get 200kW the entire time on a V3 Supercharger. You only get that speed when you start at below 20% (10%?)

PrescottRichard | 2019年9月17日

Exactly, I’m wondering how much faster speeds mean in ‘the real world’ so-to-speak. Guess I don’t need quotes if I’m gonna post so-to-speak.

Still, the capability for faster is nice to have because those ideal conditions don’t always exist while charging.

jfemd.va.us | 2019年9月17日

Also note that the Raven is more efficient than the older models. So for a given number of kW-hrs added to the battery, the number of miles is higher. So yes for two different reasons.

nwfan | 2019年9月18日

My 2017 S100D was getting 137 to 143 kW rates at 150 kW chargers. About the same as my
Model 3 LR RWD.

Now the S100D Raven is impressive and 25k cheaper than my S100D.

Tropopause | 2019年9月18日

If the Raven can remove more heat caused by 200 kW Supercharging, it should also disperse more heat during hard driving, thus making it a good candidate for a Nürburgring run. Tesla has a Raven at the Ring now.

Mhop802 | 2019年9月18日

Thanks for everyone’s info.