Forums

My method to alleviate Tesla hatred

My method to alleviate Tesla hatred

I'm in the middle of a cross country trip and trying something new. When I go through a drive through fast food joint(must admit McDonald's too much), I'll pay the bill of the car behind me. This typically doesn't cost much and every car sees that it's a Tesla in front of them. 6 times so far and lots of smiles in the cars behind me.

sbeggs | 2019年10月5日

@rwgallah,
Nice!

Maxxer | 2019年10月5日

I’m vegan I don’t pay for meat to destroy the planet

Maxxer | 2019年10月5日

Just kidding

myerrored | 2019年10月5日

"Do I look that poor?"
- People behind you

Hal Fisher | 2019年10月5日

Save your money. Most people want a tesla and those that don’t you’ll never change their pea brains.

bp | 2019年10月5日

Wow, fish, you actually made some sense there.

MAB1980 | 2019年10月5日

FISHEV | October 5, 2019

”Most who "hate" EV's are Trump/GOP'ers ”

“so they hate anything that contradicts that view which all EV's do.”

EV’s contradict a view on anthropomorphic global warming? ... how?

FISHEV | 2019年10月5日

"EV’s contradict a view on anthropomorphic global warming?"@MAB1980

The sole purpose of EV's is to reduce global warming emissions, same true for the Prius when it came out and was the first hate object for the Trump/GOP'ers. People doing all kinds of science based stuff to help from recycling to solar panels to EV, all get the ire of those who deny the science.

MAB1980 | 2019年10月5日

“ The sole purpose of EV's is to reduce global warming emissions”

Uh, gonna need a citation there. Regardless, their existence doesn’t contradict any particular viewpoint. Your statement is silly and prejudiced on its face.

ggodefroid | 2019年10月5日

Global warming—Pro Wrestling... pretty much the same thing

FISHEV | 2019年10月5日

"Uh, gonna need a citation there."@MAB1980

"Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy."

https://www.tesla.com/about

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年10月5日

Claim: " The sole purpose of EV's is to reduce global warming emissions”

Request for citation

Reply: "Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy."

Seems like there is definitely a comprehension and credibility issue if one asks for apples and oranges are delivered.

M3phan | 2019年10月5日

Please stop broad stroking conservatives. Not everybody here is a Democrat.

M3phan | 2019年10月5日

Heck, not everybody on this forum is an American.

Trekman | 2019年10月5日

@M3phan +1

FISHEV | 2019年10月5日

"Please stop broad stroking conservatives"@M3Phan

I didn't say anything about conservatives, just the current Trump/GOP'ers who are trying to increase global warming emissions and who hate EV's since the purpose of EV's is to cut global warming emissions.

They hate solar panels, wind mills, science et al just as much.

PS Do you know of a high profile"conservative" who considers man made global warming a crisis that must be addressed?

MAB1980 | 2019年10月5日

“[people] who hate EV's since the purpose of EV's is to cut global warming emissions.”

Let’s try this: name one person who has expressed “hatred” for EVs *because* of the purpose you’ve assigned to them.

jjgunn | 2019年10月5日

Wife: "Honey....I want to watch TV"

Husband: "Sorry hun, there's no wind tonight....no TV for you...."

Signed,
POTUS

FISHEV | 2019年10月5日

"Let’s try this: name one person who has expressed “hatred” for EVs *because* of the purpose you’ve assigned to them."@MAB1980

"Donald Trump goes after electric vehicles: ‘all-electric is not going to work’"

https://electrek.co/2018/12/18/donald-trump-electric-vehicles-mistake/

howard | 2019年10月5日

M3phan | October 5, 2019
Please stop broad stroking conservatives. Not everybody here is a Democrat.

+1

rwgallah | 2019年10月5日

I didn't start this start this with the idea of changing Tesla haters opinions but as a give back move which made me feel good. The Tesla connection seems to be a bonus.

billstanton | 2019年10月5日

Conservative, Trump voter (like most of what he does, not everything, not much of what he says), NRA member, Tesla owner, Tesla Solar Panel owner, Powerwall owner, Tesla Wall Charger owner, previous Prius owner. What box do I fit in? Can people stop with the generalizations? It serves no purpose other than to incite hatred and you lose the high ground.

rwgallah: We've got lots of bridges here, some people pay those forward. But toll takers will soon be replaced entirely with license readers here.

FISHEV | 2019年10月5日

"Heck, not everybody on this forum is an American."@M3phan

Hmm...don't see EU'ers or Asians posting about Tesla haters in their part of the world. I wonder if all Tesla haters are American?

FISHEV | 2019年10月5日

"Conservative, Trump voter (like most of what he does"@billstanton

Fair to say Trump is the biggest obstacle to EV adoption in the US...but you don't like that part of Trump. How about the part where he increases auto emissions to increase global warming? The part where he has NOAA, NASA et al lie about science to US public? The part where he pulls US out of global warming treaty?

howard | 2019年10月5日

FISHEV, ever considered you are the biggest obstacle to others adopting EV use. You could turn anyone away.

FISHEV | 2019年10月5日

"I didn't start this start this with the idea of changing Tesla haters opinions but as a give back move which made me feel good. The Tesla connection seems to be a bonus."@rwgallah.

No worries and sorry for the offshoots, started me thinking now why would people hate Tesla's and remembered the anti-Prius sentiment was very similar.

You can also be a big tipper at the drive thrus and you're working with a typically younger audience who need the tips.

FISHEV | 2019年10月5日

"FISHEV, ever considered you are the biggest obstacle to others adopting EV use."@howard

Because I listed several major policies of Trump that are anti-EV and included one (of many) Trump attacks on EV's?

Is there any aspect of the efforts to fix the global warming problem that Trump/GOP do not oppose? Sorry for getting political on the forum but EV's are tied to politics and science of global warming. Had Trump been president instead of Obama when Tesla needed $500M US loan, there would be no Tesla.

"Trump wants to kill $7,500 electric-car tax credit."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/2019/03/11/trump-kill-f...

2015P90DI | 2019年10月5日

Nice gesture. And there have been similar stories of people doing this, in hope that it continues down the line and it has. Not sure a "Tesla" has a damn thing to do with you being a thoughtful person willing to pay for the person behind you's meal. I think the surprise, which is certainly a very nice one for that person, would be shocking enough that they wouldn't be thinking "oh, what kind of car does he drive? Oh, it's a Tesla, that must mean all Tesla drivers are nice people!".

But again, I love the gesture of paying for someone behind you. Exhibits good will and human kindness which this world needs more of, especially over the past 2-3 years. From that standpoint, A++++++++. Just don't think it's going to have an ounce of impact on how people think about Tesla's.

MAB1980 | 2019年10月5日

FISHEV | October 5, 2019
"Let’s try this: name one person who has expressed “hatred” for EVs *because* of the purpose you’ve assigned to them."@MAB1980

"Donald Trump goes after electric vehicles: ‘all-electric is not going to work’"

https://electrek.co/2018/12/18/donald-trump-electric-vehicles-mistake/

So that was a swing and a miss. Want to try again? Recall your premise: trump/gopers hate EVs because their purpose is to reduce emissions.

An opinion that an all electric fleet is a bad business decision is not such and example.

Scrannel | 2019年10月6日

Trump is only a hate-channeler, he has no real position on anything, Remember, he was originally gong to run as a Democrat? The people who dislike electric cars just dislike things that somehow echo a weird American tribalism which requires conformity. When I was at university in the 60's I drove a 1959 MK1 Jaguar (one of the first cars to have 4 wheel disc brakes). I was absolutely on the "outside". When I got to So. Ca (in the late '70's) I bought a Shelby GT 350 (for $5000!) and suddenly I was part of the tribe! It was social whiplash. Eventually gravitated back to Euro cars and cute redneck girls in pickup trucks stopped waving at me. It's human nature, human fear. What's different must be an attack on the Tribe. Remember, Giordano Bruno was burned at the stake in 1600 for believing the earth went around the sun. Guarantee 100% there are Christians of the American Tribe who still believe he got what he deserved.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 2019年10月6日

FEESHICE once again quoted Tesla, "Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy."

Does anyone see the word 'reduce' in there? No? Neither do I.

It is traditional conventional legacy ICE automobile manufacturers that claim that the way to 'reduce emissions' is by using Plugin Hybrid Electric Vehicles. Via their crony political connections they have managed to twist the arms of regulators, such as the EPA and CARB into accepting/using their [FOULED] up nonsensical arbitrary completely illogical metric of 'emissions per mile', which is of course, complete bull$#!+. Because EVERY gallon of gasoline burned produces the EXACT SAME QUANTITY of noxious carcinogenic climate destroying compounds regardless of fuel economy or efficiency of a catalytic convertor or cheating computer systems designed with 'German Engineering' in mind -- that's basic chemistry and cannot be changed.

Thus, there is no actual 'reduction' of emissions as long as people continue to specifically burn fossil fuels for transportation. A world using 100% PHEV for all personal transportation is still a world 100% addicted to and reliant upon petroleum and the fossil fuel industry.

No. The MISSION is NOT to 'reduce emissions', you bleeding moron. The MISSION is to completely ELIMINATE emissions for the grand majority of ground, sea, and eventually air transportation as well replacing all fossil fuels with renewable energy sources powered directly by the Sun.

Scrannel: Yesterday, in the parking lot at the Reception to my Step-Father's Funeral, I spoke to someone who had a sparkly, shiny, Silver/Grey Corvette, maybe two or three years old. I pointed out how I had adored the car's design since I was a child, but that I was disappointed that the new C8 was mid-engine, as it should have been thirty years ago, instead of electric as it should be today. He stumbled over the usual arguments that he was 'afraid' of running out of power somewhere or of the grid going down in inclement weather, the usual 'BUT, WHAT IF...?' scenarios. I pointed out that worst case, you can make your own electricity and that gasoline 'goes bad' after six months anyway (whether you use a generator or not). I should have pointed out that gas stations don't operate without power either -- but he went on about how he knew about 'The Tesla' but that he really liked the 'the throaty roar' of a Corvette engine. I said I used to as well, as long as it didn't sound like a Porsche. I indicated that today the stealthy silence of an electric motor was more appealing. By that time he had received the directions he had stopped for and moved along. He looked older thzn me, but he might not havd been. I can only hope that he does a bit more research on the subject to fiscover the truth of electric drive. As I suspected might be the case, the suppercharged corvette he drove has less EPA range than the Tesla Model S Performance...

EPA Compare Side-by-Side
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=40988&id=41270&id=...

MAB1980: I think the term is 'Anthropogenic Climate Change', actually...

I don't understand why/how this is a political issue at all. There is more than enough evidence that burning stuff for heating, cooking, industry, and transportation, is a bad idea and a health risk, regardless of someone's political position on conservation, ecology, or pollution. I do find it interesting that so many argue in favor of 'energy independence' but specifically rule out achieving that status by methods that involve NOT burning fossil fuels. Basically, they don't mind the U.S. remaining addicted to fossil fuels, as long as they are all acquired from AMERICAN sources.

hcdavis3 | 2019年10月6日

When I took delivery of my car I kept my MA Fire Fighter plates rather than getting a MA EV plate. So far people leave me alone.

hcdavis3 | 2019年10月6日

The last guy I encountered at a Dunkin commented, “Nice ride!” He was in a big diesel truck. At least he gets it.

vmulla | 2019年10月6日

This is a nice gesture that reflects on you more than it reflects on Tesla. Do something less anonymous and more direct - sitting something that showcases Tesla, Tesla will benefit for sure.

denwai | 2019年10月6日

Nice gesture, hoping to see you in McDonald’s!

SamO | 2019年10月6日

@OP,

I had the same idea in 2013 of paying it forward, but in a slightly different way:

Whenever I’m out, and anyone asks me a question about my Tesla, I offer to give them a tour of the car and a ride.

To date, I’ve given hundreds of tours and test rides. To a person, everyone I’ve shared my Tesla with has been blown away by the performance, technology and quiet.

And people/friends/acquaintances I’ve run into later down the road have commented on how the ride stick with them and how they’ve had a lot
Of sleepless nights trying to figure out how to afford one.

When the $35k version Model 3! became available I got rid of my last gas car and became a 100% electric family. In addition, both parents now drive Teslas.

When the astroturfers and clowns get you down, give a ride to a stranger. See their smile. Feel their excitement and understand that you cannot stop a good idea whose time has come.

vmulla | 2019年10月6日

@SamO,
+1

Same here, well into hundreds of rides/drives myself.

Scrannel | 2019年10月6日

The best bumper sticker ever promoting evolution reads: "If Evolution is Outlawed only Outlaws Will Evolve". My goddaughter put this on her car and tons of Tribal Member broke ranks to tell her how cool it was. After all, the outlaw is the patron saint of the Tribes... because that's the last thing they are.

SamO & vmulla: Excellent.

Scrannel: I like that slogan! Reminds me of the 'LEGALIZE TESLA' t-shirts I've seen. Cool.

gballant4570 | 2019年10月6日

"Please stop broad stroking conservatives. Not everybody here is a Democrat."
What passes for conservatives in the USA these days are doing a great job of broad stroking themselves.

"Heck, not everybody on this forum is an American."
True.

"Global warming—Pro Wrestling... pretty much the same thing."
Proof that not everybody on this forum even has a brain,

gballant4570 | 2019年10月6日

billstanton, what box do you fit in? I'd check the one that's labelled "terribly conflicted" if I were you.

PteRoy | 2019年10月6日

I’m so happy for you that you continually go to a restaurant who is a massive producer of co2 but because you did it in your Tesla it’s ok. Keep on changing the world bro!

Tyerc | 2019年10月6日

This is what will drive me away from the forum. I don't think anyone's mind will be changed or significantly influenced here.

SamO | 2019年10月6日

Everyone who took a ride with me had their mind changed/opened.

Forum not (necessary or) included.

Every day that this forum and Tesla exists serves to confirm that I was right 46 years ago when I first determined cars should be electric. I don't need to convince anyone else. What matters is that I know I have always been right on this subject.

PteRoy | 2019年10月6日

What if all electric cars looked like a reliant robin with a Buick badge on the front.

PteRoy | 2019年10月6日

And all of them had a 0-60 time of 13 seconds.

FISHEV | 2019年10月6日

"The last guy I encountered at a Dunkin commented, “Nice ride!” He was in a big diesel truck. At least he gets it."@hcdavis3

Good point not to pigeonhole people, I deal with fishing guides who live in a world of fast boats and lifted monster pickups, think NASCAR on the water. Many if not most are Trump voters BUT when I showed up this season in the FISHEV they all wanted to drive it and check it out and all were impressed BUT with speed and handling and cool look, same qualities as their lifted pickups. When I went into my rant about AP being the flaw, their eyes would glaze over...sound familiar . They liked that it didn't need gas, not for the emissions part (they are Trumpers) but because in their line of work gasoline is biggest single expense and oil companies are "evil" and charge too much.

So there's no inherent Tesla hate in that lifted pickup, Trump voter community.

What Tesla hate there is though is based on the global warming issue. Its the Trump/GOP'er who are into the anti-science conspiracy theories that "hate" the Tesla/EV drivers because if there is a global warming crisis and we can do something about it, their entire world view is wrong. They get emotional about it, they are already irrational about it.

howard | 2019年10月6日

ReD eXiLe ms us What matters is that I know I have always been right...

No one doubts your believe that you believe you are always right.

Pages