Forums

Pre-warning on installing custom 20" wheels and new Tire Pressure Sensors

Pre-warning on installing custom 20" wheels and new Tire Pressure Sensors

--- THIS POST IS AN INFORMATIONAL POST PRIMARILY FOR THOSE THAT COMPLETE A GOOGLE SEARCH REGARDING THIS ISSUE IN THE FUTURE REGARDING INSTALLING 20 INCH CUSTOM WHEELS ON A TESLA MODEL S WITH TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR MONITOR STEM ( TPMS ) CLEARANCE ISSUES ----

Decided to go with 20" wheels this time around. 5,000 LB car with 21" wheels and low profile tires, bent a lot of wheels on my last one, just from potholes. Figured the 20" wheels would add a little tire to it and assist in preventing this reoccurring issue. Some higher-end wheels may withstand potholes better, but the ones I had didn't do so well.

9" wide, 35MM offset. Had the same issue on my Dad's car. Fortunately no bent wheels on his car. But beware, many custom wheels put a second hole in the back of the wheel where the TPMS stems stick out from the edge of the wheel. The 20" wheels have much tighter clearances around the spindles and lower control arm bolts. If the pressure sensor stems stick out past the edge of the wheel more than a few millimeters, they will hit these items, especially on the front wheels. There's about a 1/4" more clearance on the rear wheels. This will give you the sound of having a stick in your bicycle wheel. Not to mention, likely damage the stems and result in flat tires.

Note: I bought new Tire pressure monitors so I could keep the original wheels/tires mounted and ready to go back on at any time. But, the same problem would exist if I had tried to take the original sensors out. Not about the sensors, only about the location of them and how far the valve stem off of the sensor sticks out of the wheel.

For my wheels, despite trying MANY, MANY options, nobody made a stem short enough to provide the necessary clearance. Had to buy super short stubby regular valve stems and move the sensors to the location of the regular valve stem to get everything working. There are other options available, but this ultimately ended up being the most practical solution to the problem.

So, just beware ahead of time to save yourself the same hassle of having to mount/dismount multiple times to get it resolved. When ordering your wheels, ask about where the pressure sensor holes are located.

Another piece of advice, always check the lug nut torque after having your wheels put on. Many tire shop impact guns are weak and can leave the lug nuts loose. Either ask the shop to torque them and watch them do it or check them yourself when you get home.

murphyS90D | 2019年10月7日

All lug nuts should be torqued again after driving 50 miles..