Forums

Reversing

Reversing

I've noticed that when reversing the Model 3 will not stop if it encounters anything in it's path unless it is auto parking. I'm wondering why this would be as I would have thought that it would be quite desirable for it to stop e.g pedestrian/garage wall etc? Anyone else observed this?

FISHEV | 2019年10月15日

"I've noticed that when reversing the Model 3 will not stop if it encounters anything in it's path unless it is auto parking."@pmbarker

Several broken Tesla supercharger nacelles have noticed it also. Tesla added extra curbs so that people will stop backing into the chargers.

A lot of cars have the reverse auto braking. Another nice safety feature Tesla should have and one you'd think would be essential to a "Full Self Driving" car.

lbowroom | 2019年10月15日

Currently Tesla allows you to drive the car and trusts that with a camera and warning beeps that you can stop yourself. You do know how to drive and maneuver a car, right? When FSD is released, then the car will take care of that for you.

pmbarker | 2019年10月15日

lbowroom, Yep I know how to drive but those warning beeps take quite some time to start sounding compared to my old car. It's all a learning experience though and by the sounds of things this is normal operation.

vmulla | 2019年10月15日

This was one of my first misconceptions. I was trying out when the car would stop during my test drive (~Aug 2015).
The salesperson was awesome and made it very clear - either the car is making the decisions, or the driver is. No middle ground.
The sensors and alerts are to help the driver make decisions - not to override the driver.

lbowroom | 2019年10月15日

Not railing on you pmbarker. Fishev has been on the attack for several months with nonsense after nonsense spinning narratives, currently feels like he is winning

you're right, beeps come on within the last few feet but should be well within the perception of an average driver that they are getting close.

Joshan | 2019年10月15日

@vmulla said it perfectly!

either the car is making the decisions, or the driver is. No middle ground.

jdcollins5 | 2019年10月15日

Not only do you get audible alarms when backing but you also get distance measurement as you get close, just like going forward.

With mirrors, rear camera, audible alarms and distance measurement, if you still hit anything, I don’t know!

synfendia | 2019年10月15日

"either the car is making the decisions, or the driver is. No middle ground."

That isn't entirely true for all conditions. The Lane Departure Avoidance features will warn and then can override the driver. If the driver drifts into another lane without signaling, the car will nudge back into the proper lane. That isn't during autopilot or nav on autopilot. That is just normal driving.
I'd say that IS a middle ground.
The driver was making "poor" decisions to drift into another the lane. The car sees the mistake and overrides this decision.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-lane-departure-avoidance-saves-lives/

FISHEV | 2019年10月15日

Here's how reverse braking should work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO2d9hnXjoE

vmulla | 2019年10月15日

@synfendia,
You're right ;)

Even while I was typing it I was thinking about a situation I encounter often - If I pull out of my garage without putting my seatbelt on the car often stops abruptly with the message that says car is put in park to prevent roll away, probably because of the slope. Your example is also a great 'middle ground' example. Automatic emergency braking is another.

The instruction that I got from my salesperson is still a valid peice of advice to go by, just realize there are exceptions.

It's like this, I start explaining AP to newbies as 'car stays in lane, maintains speed, and car brakes if something in front of it slows down'. Then I tell them that car do whole lot more, just figure it out safely :)

Similarly, stay simple with this discussion.

M3phan | 2019年10月16日

@pmbarker, Actually there is a very handy feature built into every Tesla model 3 that will do exactly what you’re asking for...it’s a smallish Square located next to the accelerator. When you press it with your right foot, the car slows and will even stop if you keep depressing it. It’s quite convenient and rather easy to use.
Teasing you, fair question to ask if you had your stated expectation. It yeah, no mid ground here. You drive or car drives.

MrSexyTime | 2019年10月16日

Middle ground example: Juicing the accelerator while auto steering is active. Sure, the warning comes up about breaking, but the MrSexyTimeMobile keeps on steering.

dianephtran | 2019年10月17日

The rear collision avoidance is much more helpful than the driver brakes himself. A lot of times the warning is too slow. I had an Infiniti SUV, a Volvo XC40 that did help me avoid the accident when some kids ran behind my car, especially when the Model 3 does not even have RTCA. With the Summon technology, i am hoping Tesla will add an option to brake when reverse using the Summon technology to override the driver braking himself and relying on the camera and warning, particularly at night time.

ggodefroid | 2019年10月18日

I've often thought a good software update would be either "Chill When In Reverse" or maybe "Creep In Reverse"-- I find that full on reverse can be rather touchy

loosej89 | 2019年10月18日

Fishev, the Subaru backup stopping feature does seem useful, but what if that Vespa were say, your ex-sppouse's vehicle, and you really did want to hit it. In a Tesla it would be no problem !!

FISHEV | 2019年10月18日

“Fishev, the Subaru backup stopping feature does seem useful, but what if that Vespa were say, your ex-sppouse's vehicle, and you really did want to hit it. In a Tesla it would be no problem !!”@loosej89

A mashed accelerator cures all marital issues.

coselectric | 2019年10月18日

According to the owner's manual...

Automatic emergency braking does not apply to driving in reverse, and also only works above approximately 7 mph.

Obstacle aware acceleration does work in reverse at speeds under 10 mph but is only designed to reduce the torque when accelerating into an object (such as your closed garage door).

It's best to assume that the vehicle operates, by default, like every other car you've ever driven. In other words, assume that it will obediently drive straight into a pedestrian, brick wall, or whatever else you guide it into. If it ever saves your butt doing something stupid, consider yourself lucky. My car saved me from spinning out while showing off to some friends on the third day I owned it, and I'm grateful.

And ignore @FISHEV, he's usually wrong.

Xerogas | 2019年10月19日

@pmbarker: there is no radar sensor on the back of the car. The ultrasonics have a very short range compared to radar. Torque is reduced, but not eliminated, when objects are detected. You’ll appreciate this when zombies are chasing you, and you have to reverse out of a situation quickly; wouldn’t want the car overriding you, would you?

coselectric | 2019年10月19日

+1 @Xerogas

I hadn't considered the zombie scenarios. I suppose that may have come up in early testing cases. I for one will sleep easier tonight with that knowledge.

rxlawdude | 2019年10月19日

The sensors only work for warm blooded biological units.

Are zombies warm blooded? :-)