Forums

Tire Pressure Alarm issues. Can we set pressure?

Tire Pressure Alarm issues. Can we set pressure?

I get a "Low Tire Pressure" alert. Says right rear tire is low. No display of each tires pressure as you see from the first pics. I tap the alert. Still no display of the tires' pressure. Off to truck stop for air.

What an adventure. Car in park, next to air pump, put some air in tire. Has alert gone. It did. Great. Jump in and...tire pressure alert appears. Argh...OK...get out...put in more air. Check it, looks to be 56, over inflated but Tesla still giving error. You only see that when you get back into car and then it displays the tires again and...still low. But wait...now it is showing each tire...well...reads nothing on other three but does show "Low Tire Pressure Alert" for right rear and the pressure is....56 psi. What? That's over inflated not under inflated.

So I do it strictly by the hand gauge. Get in and drive away and then the display changes again. Showing all the tires at 41 psi with no alarms except for the 52 psi right rear. Argh! Could use some intelligent design there Tesla. Show all tires pressure when giving warning. Keep warning up if car in Park so driver can fix per the car's readings. Allow driver to set what is "correct" pressure.

I plan to under inflate, 38 psi, the Xice3 245/40/R18's when I put snows on in December looking for rim protection and better wet traction for winter. Hopefully I can reset to 38 so it is not constantly alarming.

https://imgur.com/a/Hz9XaK2

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年10月18日

Doesn't the manual explain how it works?

GHammer | 2019年10月18日

It's well known that the pressures do not update until you drive for a bit. It's just how the Continental TPMS system works.

Bighorn | 2019年10月18日

Totally agree that you "could use some intelligent design." What a CF of an approach.

Mike UpNorth_ | 2019年10月18日

This is why I'm getting Nitrogen on Monday. An overly negative spin/story on what I've gone through. (I don't own a tire pressure gauge).

Make sure it is dry nitrogen, don't want that wet stuff. ; )

FISHEV | 2019年10月18日

" It's just how the Continental TPMS system works."@GHammer.

I have Michelin Primacy as OEM and the TPMS are not brand specific and how the car reads them is the car mfg.s system not Michelin or Continental.

Tesla read the pressure on the right rear correctly I assume since it had me overfill it to 56 psi while showing nothing for other tires per the pic. Likely there was nothing wrong with the right rear as Tesla finally read them as 41 psi with no error except for right rear which was now 52 psi.

Bighorn | 2019年10月18日

@Mike
Nitrogen will show the same pressure changes with temperature fluctuation--Gay-Lussac's law. Usually better controlled water contamination, so less volatility, but it's inconsequential IRL. And I'm sure you know not to put low pressure in snow tires. You don't want to create snow shoes--you want to cut down to the pavement.

FISHEV | 2019年10月18日

" An overly negative spin/story on what I've gone through. "MIkeUpNorth

Just the facts mame. I guess facts sounds negative because it really should work better. That you had to go to Nitrogen fill on the tires to fix the same issue.

I'll try to sugarcoat the facts next time.

Filling tires without a separate tire pressure gauge is dangerous.

Just read the manual sometime: "The Tire Pressure indicator light does not
immediately turn off when you adjust tire
pressure. After inflating the tire to the
recommended pressure, you must drive over
15 mph (25 km/h) for more than 10 minutes to
activate the Tire Pressure Monitoring System
(TPMS), which turns off the Tire Pressure
indicator light."

"Warning: Check tire pressures using an
accurate pressure gauge when tires are
cold."

Thread will be nuked, out embarrassment, I suspect.

Bighorn | 2019年10月18日

What's most vexing is how anyone with any sense would be driving without carrying a right sized inflator.

Joshan | 2019年10月18日

you have entered the Twilight Zone...

bp | 2019年10月18日

@Bighorn indeed, all gases change pressure with temperature. IINM, the deal with nitrogen and tires is just that the larger molecules leak through the tire more slowly.

FISHEV | 2019年10月18日

"The Tire Pressure indicator light does not
immediately turn off when you adjust tire
pressure. After inflating the tire to the
recommended pressure, you must drive over
15 mph (25 km/h) for more than 10 minutes to
activate the Tire Pressure Monitoring System
(TPMS), which turns off the Tire Pressure
indicator light."

Eyup...as you see that's not what happened. It read one tire correctly, saw it was OVER INFLATED vs. the warning which said "LOW PRESSURE". Tire did have LOW PRESSURE. All tires were at 41 PSI but car did show tires as I was driving to get them filled.

"Warning: Check tire pressures using an
accurate pressure gauge when tires are
cold."

Eyup...tires not cold. 23 miles at 70mph and pulling into truck stop on a 54 deg day.

FISHEV | 2019年10月18日

"Tire did have LOW PRESSURE."

Tire did NOT have LOW PRESSURE" to start with.

After reading the manual it is prudent to follow instructions. System told you something was wrong. It was up to you to fill tires to the correct pressures and then drive to allow the system to reset.

Additionally you can also manually set the system to not trigger until lower pressures are detected. What hand gauge you use it is not and will not be calibrated to the TPMS in your car. Rounding happens.

sheldon.mike1010 | 2019年10月18日

Pump up your tires to your desired pressure, then get into driver's seat:
Turn the touchscreen on.
From the touchscreen. Touch Controls > Settings > Service & Reset > Tire Pressure Monitor > Reset Sensors. ...
Reset. Touch Reset, and then touch OK.
Car Status. Press and hold one of the scroll wheels and select 'Car Status' to see a overview of the TPMS information. ...
Road Test.
This is in my car that I actually have BTW. Have you looked at one?

FISHEV | 2019年10月18日

"After reading the manual it is prudent to follow instructions."M8B

Now if we could just get the car to do that...glad I was able to post the pics showing you wrong.

1. Car gave low pressure warning in error.
2. Car could not read other tires while seeing only right rear.
3. Car did not display all four tires in the alert as it should.

Bad Tesla.

Car gave you an alert. You dangerously overinflated tire because you did not follow instructions and inflate all tires to same PSI, with accurate gauge "cold" and then drive the required miles to reset.

Bad owner for blaming ignorance on Tesla.

andy.connor.e | 2019年10月18日

Why read how something works when you can read instrument panel and point "SEE SEE LOOK!".

FISHEV | 2019年10月18日

"Why read how something works when you can read instrument panel and point "SEE SEE LOOK!".@andy.connor.e

A valid point that manual is no good if it, as in this case, it doesn't accurately describe what the car did as the pictures show.

Something for Tesla to look at since it is giving false reading on the one tire apparently.

Car is going into shop on 29th for other alarm reasons (AM blind side not working warning, AM lane keeping not working warning, mystery 50 mph warning and now behavior of tire pressure alarms.

Telsa did push an update and have not see the AM warnings but the malfunctioning tire pressure just started and the 50 mph mystery alert still pops up.

News at 11 on 29th.

At least after all this you dont dispute that you didnt read the manual. Good talk.

Make sure you go to the ER for every boo boo.

FISHEV | 2019年10月18日

"At least after all this you dont dispute that you didnt read the manual."@andy.connor.e

Cover to cover, just like you. But you do see how manual is out of synch with facts right?

I see you taking every opportunity to post a topic thread about something that isnt perfect.

FISHEV | 2019年10月18日

"I see you taking every opportunity to post a topic thread about something that isnt perfect."@andy.connor.e

You might want to turn your gain down. Only two topics posted by me.

1. PDX Metro charger issues. Verified by Tesla and repairs made but still some problems.
2. Tire Pressure alert not accurate showing Low Pressure when it is correct or even high and not working per manual.

If they bug you, don't read or respond.

Syed.Hosain | 2019年10月18日

The tire pressure warning goes away when the tire is inflated back to "normal" *and* the car is driven for a bit. Up to 16 miles per hour for just a few minutes.

Look at the instructions for resetting the tire pressure indicator normal values - on the screen details show when you go for the reset.

"Only two topics posted by me."

You're right. Only two topics today. Not counting the ones that were flagged to deletion or deleted by you. I guess whether its a topic creation or a comment on another, given the opportunity to talk about something thats not perfect about Tesla and phrased in a form of negligence is not passed up by you. Thanks for letting us know what you dont like.

All in all, theres a manual and many others here who have told you what you're supposed to do. You know what to try now.

FISHEV | 2019年10月18日

"You're right."@andy.connor.e

And you were wrong...yeah I knew that.

"Only two topics today."@andy.connor.e

Looks like only three in the LAST FOUR MONTHS per the messages posted.

Turn down your gain and you won't be so sensitive to things that don't exist.

haha i see you're in full force of character assassination lately. make sure you keep saying more and more things that are correct because maybe people will start to believe you.

I guess you're right, you cant prove topics were created if they got deleted. Guess they never existed!

Hp.1193 | 2019年10月18日

Lolol. Welcome to the circus y’all.

Connect the dots is not easy for some.

Adjust pressure
Drive a while for car to recalibrate.

Dots that need to be connected: during recalibration the display is meaningless. I have done calibration processes on many devices and many times they show stuff on the display that is unexpected or an apparent misreading but the fact is that until the recalibration process is complete the display has no real value or meaning.

It is dangerous to overinflate tires, as the OP has done. The manual specifically warns about this by instructing with proper tire inflation procedures which, in this case, were obviously and dangerously ignored.

FISHEV | 2019年10月18日

"The tire pressure warning goes away when the tire is inflated back to "normal" *and* the car is driven for a bit. Up to 16 miles per hour for just a few minutes."@Sayed.Husain

Except when it doesn't. My display shows one slight over inflated tire in orange and three at 41 psi. But no alert even though part of the display says tires are now not inflated properly.

Never should have gotten the original warning as the tires were all properly inflated leading to right rear getting slightly over inflated. Display would show one tire but not others, no consistency.

Live by the manual, die by the manual.

Car ended up displaying warning in error leading to over inflation, requested by the car for whatever reason and continues to do so. I'll let service fix it.

Dangerous over inflation was caused by ignoring proper inflation procedures per the manual (I.E. ignorance).

Then you may have a faulty sensor - get it replaced perhaps.

Once all tire pressures (using an external gauge) are set, if the internal pressure does not come on at about 16 mph and show a correct reading, you should "reset the TMPS".

Look at the screen instructions to do so.

My last comment was to FISHEV's post..

FISHEV | 2019年10月18日

"Then you may have a faulty sensor - get it replaced perhaps."@Syed.Hosain

It appears to be reading accurately. It requested more pressure even though it didn't need it. When comparing to pressure gauge and car, same reading. So after getting me over inflate the tire it shows the over inflation accurately and in orange but no warning on screen similar to original warning of Low Pressure which apparently was inaccurate.

And Eyup leaving it alone so Tesla can look at it next week with other alarm issues.

This no-reset till you get to a speed is common on many cars ... Nissan/Infiniti does the same.

Trust your independent external gauge and then drive - the system will reset and you can stop worrying about it if the reading is then correct after a few moments of driving up to speed.

Or reset the TMPS as Tesla shows how to on the screen. Even then, the instructions clearly state to reset when parked and then drive at a slow speed till the readings show.

FISHEV | 2019年10月18日

Will the reset allow you inflate the tire to a setting you prefer or will it default to factory?

Bighorn | 2019年10月18日

Low tire pressure warning gets cached if the threshold level is breached, even if pressure comes up due to driving. Inflating to proper cold pressure and then driving will reset the warning. It's all in the user's manual. User error here. Plus tires are not to be inflated over 50 PSI in most cases. I shudder to think of the CFM delivery of a truck stop compressor.

@bp
Just to civilly expand on the topic of nitrogen, this is a pretty objective assessment of the permeation thesis:

"Although it is true that nitrogen does permeate through tire rubber slower than oxygen and CO2, there are two things to know. First, the gas permeation difference between oxygen, CO2 and nitrogen through a tire wall is very minute. Second, this difference is made even more insignificant for nitrogen since oxygen only makes up 17% of air and most of "air" (78%) is nitrogen. Diffusion speed through the walls of your tires has more to do with the quality, the wall thickness, and the age of your tires. More often, tire deflation is due to a leak in the stem core, the stem seal, cracks in the stem, a bad tire to wheel bead seal, cracks in the tire wall, or objects like nails stuck through the tire tread. Tire manufacturers recommend checking your tire pressures monthly, regardless of the type of gas you're using to fill your tires. Bottom line: If gas permeation was the only way a tire would lose its "air" there would be very little detectable difference between air (which is already 80% nitrogen), nitrogen, and CO2."

from: https://powertank.com/pages/nitrogen-truths-and-myths (click on individual claim for explanations"

@FISHEV "Will the reset allow you inflate the tire to a setting you prefer or will it default to factory?"

According to the instructions, resetting after inflating to the pressure you have set on the tires, makes that the new "normal" reading values (or some such words in the on-screen instructions).

So, if I set my tires as accurately as possible, external gauge, to 45 psi (as recommended for the Primacy MXM4), then I can reset the Tesla TPMS to make that what the car starts using for the correct value, I believe (according to the instructions).

Then significant deviations from those new values are what get reported, I suppose.

And, as always, tire pressure should be read, and adjusted, when the tire is truly cold ... in the morning inside your garage, no significant driving at speed, etc., etc., etc.

When I set my current MXM tires to 45 psi and drive distances at higher speeds (like my 70+ mph trips to So Cal on Highway 5), the TPSM starts showing 49 to 50 psi ... sometimes even 51 psi. This is normal and *not* an indication that I need to release any air!

KeithM | 2019年10月18日

I normally inflate using 78% nitrogen. Very easy to get and works well.

@KeithM

ROFL. Yup! :)

@Bighorn "from: https://powertank.com/pages/nitrogen-truths-and-myths (click on individual claim for explanations""

Excellent link, thanks! Needs to be in the other Hydrogen ... er, Nitrogen ... thread, perhaps? :)

Mike UpNorth_ | 2019年10月18日

Covers eyes and ears.....

@Mike UpNorth "Covers eyes and ears....."

:)

FISHEV | 2019年10月18日

"According to the instructions, resetting after inflating to the pressure you have set on the tires, makes that the new "normal" reading values (or some such words in the on-screen instructions)."@Syed.Hosain

Not clear that it will accept ranges outside Tesla's norm but a moot point as "Error Reseting TPMS. Factory Defaults In Use". Tires all say 41 psi after Tesla told me right rear was too low when it was not. Back to 41 to match other tires.

Sounds like an error in the TPMS or in the car's reading them that it can't do reset. Might be where the original erroneous low pressure message came from.

On the list for the shop on 29th.

1. BSI not working alert in AM
2. Lane Keeping not working alert in AM
3. Odd 50mph alert no one can identify.
4. TPMS alerts and error message.

Bighorn | 2019年10月18日

I regret to admit I haven't clicked through that thread. Should I be remiss? Have I offended some entrenched sensibilities unwittingly? :)

Pages