Forums

Range increase, anyone know why.....

Range increase, anyone know why.....

....the Performance Model 3 does not have a range increase? Did it get some sort of efficiency increase not reflected in the range? The other variants seem to have received more range.

andy.connor.e | 2019年11月7日

If your average Wh/mi has not changed, your range has not either.

TeslaTap.com | 2019年11月7日

My understanding is the increased range was a correction Telsa made to match the actual EPA numbers. I gather only some models affected. It didn't actually change any car's range, just the displayed range slightly. For example, LR went from 310 to 322 miles. Interestingly, the Performance stayed at 310. This is consistent with the S/X where the performance has a bit less range than the non-performance variant.

vmulla | 2019年11月7日

Not all LR owners saw the bump in range.

CMHTesla | 2019年11月7日

I didn't see any change. I wondering if this happens with a software update.

Bighorn | 2019年11月7日

Fewer than 5 % of cars have gotten a FW update since EM mentioned it in the Q3. Performance models IRL don't get close to EPA numbers for most, so window dressing it with a new, equally or more impractical number serves no one.

Kary993 | 2019年11月7日

If you look on Tesla's website the range has changed for some variants of the Model 3....This is what I am referring to. The M3P has not changed from 310 miles. Other have...just wondering why?

lbowroom | 2019年11月7日

Sticky tires

Bighorn | 2019年11月7日

@Kary
They underreported the EPA mileage on early cars. They got 334 for the LR RWD, but reported all the same as the worst performing model (310), which was presumable the AWD P. Long ago, they announced increasing the range to the RWD to 325, which was just programming sleight of hand. Nothing changed except the display. The battery and efficiency remained unchanged. To make matters worse, the roll out of 325 was uneven and not everyone saw it show up.

FISHEV | 2019年11月7日

No one really knows is the answer as Tesla is all over the map lately with updates and promises of increased power and range while not telling anyone that last update reduced range by 5% per Bjorn's tests on "Sneaky OTA removes 5kWh".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTOaDolXJXU

1. V10/2019.32.x.x reduced range of all the Model 3s about 5%.
2. Tesla increased the EPA range for the LR AWD to 322 for $500. This is not available to current owners of 310 rated cars so a bit mysterious is there a $100 part they are charging $500 for? A software upgrade? Nothing, just going with the higher results from original EPA results? No one knows.
3. Musk announced 2019.36.x.x update to increase power by 5% and range by indeterminete

The idea that existing LR AWD and new 322 +$500 LR AWD are identical is not accurate unless Tesla shows the 322 in Rated Range for all LR AWD not just new one's sold now. All LR AWD cars charged at 100% should see 322 miles not 310. Don't see any current LR AWD owner who has had the range increase to 322.

If it was just Tesla going by EPA tests which gave LR AWD a 322 range, then all the current model 310 would have it also but then their actual range and battery degradation are worse than reported by 9%.

Tesla is dark on the whole matter so right now, only the new LR AWD have the 322 mile range.

lbowroom | 2019年11月7日

None of the postulations above are based on anything but wild speculation by the author.

WW_spb | 2019年11月7日

Dream world statistics from Ocean creature

Kary993 | 2019年11月7日

please going fishing else where fishev.....

HighlandPony | 2019年11月7日

Not mentioned here is that Bjorn did some serious backpedaling on his Tesla sneaky 5% comment in the follow up video.

hannes | 2019年11月7日

Funny how some people use whatever fits their narrative. In another thread, since deleted, I had a back and forth with "a person" where I pointed to Bjorn's videos as an example of Tesla actually meeting their advertised range.
At that time, Bjorn wasn't credible. Now the same person thinks that Bjorn is credible.

Incredible.

FISHEV | 2019年11月7日

"Not mentioned here is that Bjorn did some serious backpedaling on his Tesla sneaky 5% comment in the follow up video."@Highland Pony

Watched it did not see what you say. At what minute point in the video are you referring to.

He noted it was missing 4kWh of capacity since the update vs. the 5 kWh he lost via the update on his own car. Seemed about the same. He noted that the other car was much newer and that the benchmark of 74.5kWh was not there to start with in either car. He thinks loss might be 1-3 (4-12 miles) vs. the 20 miles of range he lost with his own car. It was a different model, LR RWD vs. his LR AWD.

Bjorn did note the problem with charging it won't go to 100% and the loud noise. He mentioned having to do expensive sound proofing to make it acceptable to him.

Different cars slightly different results but he still noted the range/kWh capacity was reduced by the update, his original point. He wanted test it in a new car to his own. He even noted the newer car was not as good results as his own.

He is still baffled by the update, still confirms the loss of range by the update and is still going to "brick" his car to find out the real range. Shouldn't have to do that.

FISHEV | 2019年11月7日

I'm guessing you mean this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-VmiNXBKwY

Kary993 | 2019年11月8日

Please ignore FISHEV everyone......

Bighorn | 2019年11月8日

I wonder if he'll torture the Kona crowd as well?