Forums

In the UK - trading in Model S for Model 3

In the UK - trading in Model S for Model 3

I filled out the online form to order the Model 3 (which didn't work half the time). It took me a week to get it to accept me filling in the form for the details on my current vehicle.

It says "We will review your trade-in information and contact you within 24 hours when your trade-in offer is ready to review and be accepted." - it's been several days. Tesla ignore my emails. Is this normal?

FISHEV | 2019年11月9日

Curious. Did you look at the used market private sale? I'm looking to sell my Model 3 next year sometime and kbb.com says my car with 30,000 miles would be worth $44k to $47k. Does kbb.com work for UK?

booshtukka | 2019年11月9日

I didn’t look at private but maybe I will. I thought this would be easier but it’s not.

FISHEV | 2019年11月9日

I sold my Subaru for $11k which was $2k more than trade in offer. It was easier than I thought. Used CraigsList. Our local police have set up areas for doing these online transactions where people can feel safe. Usually a spot in police parking lot where surveillance cams are active.

It was even easier, we just met at the buyer's bank and bank did all the paoerwork. Not sure how UK works.

Of course I promptly spent the cash on doodads for the Model 3.

andy | 2019年11月9日

Have you trired calling into a Tesla service centre?

I did that before buying my Model 3 and they were giving me partex quotes - althoughI didn't use them.

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年11月9日

If you buy through Tesla the process will be more seamless. I have read a few stories about buying private and having difficulty getting the car on the Tesla system under a new name (in USA). This is not unique to Tesla BTW, I sold a Ford that had a myford mobile account and some warranty left and it took several weeks to transfer to the new owner.

SamO | 2019年11月9日

Call the Tesla At Westfield Shephard Bush

+44 20 8740 6035

They will be able to update you on the status of your trade in and when to expect your order.

SamO | 2019年11月9日

Westfield Shopping Centre, Ariel Way, Shepherd's Bush, London W12 7GB, United Kingdom

booshtukka | 2019年11月9日

I'll be using the one at Heathrow. I generally prefer email because I'm travelling a lot, but that doesn't seem to work. I'll call them when I'm back in the UK soon. Thanks for the tip though. :)

"If you buy through Tesla the process will be more seamless."

It's really not. I suspect the process works flawlessly in the US, and that no effort has been made to test the process in the UK. It took days to even upload the images of my driver's licence because the UI is so buggy. And if I'm following their perfect process and that doesn't work, and it tells me someone will contact me within 24 hours and they don't, it demonstrates how little confidence I should have in this. Maybe they should hire someone who understands how to make websites. (Forum = case in point)

Wilber | 2019年11月9日

booshtukka - i have tried to trade in a Tesla to Tesla twice. Back in the good old days in 2017 it worked pretty seamlessly and a decent trade in value. Earlier this year when i tried i had the kind of problems you had trying to get a reply from Tesla. I think Tesla is trying to reduce expenses so the company shows a better profit, and customer service is suffering. I did finally get an offer from Tesla, but ended up selling the car to Vroom for about $10k US dollars more! Wish Vroom operated in UK!

booshtukka | 2019年11月9日

Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like selling privately would be cleverer. I’ll do it. :)