Forums

How to turn off autopilot without turning off TACC and moving wheel

How to turn off autopilot without turning off TACC and moving wheel

Hi Friends

Problem : How to disengage autopilot on highway speeds like 60-70 mph safely without stopping cruise control

Details : When i drive on highways at 60-70 mph many times i have to disengage autopilot. But at that high speed moving wheel to stop autopilot feels dangerous (as u literally have to fight autopilot) or braking to disengage feels dangerous as it also removes TACC and Regen kicks in and slows down car unnecessarily. Wouldn't it be an awesome suggest for next software update to just disengage autopilot from touching blue wheel on left corner of console without disengaging TACC?

Possible solutions: Just touch on screen on top of the blue wheel on left corner to stop autopilot and let car use TACC safely on highway.

Thoughts? or any other solutions which i may have missed.

Fuzzball | 2019年11月14日

If you are bothered to, tap up (disengage) and tap down once (reengage). You are tapping stalk up anyway to disengage right?

anuragsbhusari | 2019年11月14日

Ya but Tap up removes TACC also and regen kicks in ...my point was can we just switch off autopilot without disturbing TACC in a easy manner

hokiegir1 | 2019年11月14日

You can have your foot on the accelerator when you disengage with the stalk to maintain your speed, then just re-initiate TACC immediately. That prevents regen from kicking in. Also, practice disengaging autosteer by turning the wheel. Once you get used to it, it's not nearly as "jerky" as when you start using it and it can be done with barely a shift of the car.

datoda | 2019年11月14日

Tap the direction stalk in either direction will cancel autosteer and keep TACC active. Doing this runs the risk of annoying other drivers near you.

gparrot | 2019年11月14日

datoda: direction stalk, as in: turn signals?

PTdenver | 2019年11月14日

datoda must have a special 3 :) the gear stalk used to disengage autopilot with 1 bump up, but does not anymore it disengages everything ,must have changed a few updates ago

TickTock | 2019年11月14日

I think it's a joke. Direction stalk = steering wheel.

hokiegir1 | 2019年11月14日

Unless he doesn't have FSD and using the turn signal cancels since basic AP doesn't include lane changes....

Joshan | 2019年11月14日

@hokiegirl +1

Thanks for bringing the common sense as always.

dmastro | 2019年11月14日

Given how easy Tesla tries to make everything, the current methods do seem a bit unfinished and "clunky".

Since the stalk is currently used to incrementally engage TACC and then NOA, why couldn't it be used to incrementally disengage?

If on NOA, 1x stalk up disengages NOA and leaves TACC on.
If on TACC, 1x stalk up disengages TACC

It's the exact reverse of engaging the autonomous systems so it would be very intuitive.

This wouldn't have to replace the current functionality of turning the wheel or applying the brakes

lbowroom | 2019年11月14日

Do you have AP, EAP or FSD?

dmastro | 2019年11月14日

@lbowroom: I assume you're asking me. I have EAP so I'm answering from that perspective. You make a good point, I don't know if the other packages work similarly.

CharleyBC | 2019年11月14日

Yeah, this has bugged me at a low level all along. I do exactly what @Hokiegir1 described above: position my foot on the accelerator just before tapping the stalk up to disengage, so it's a smooth handoff from computer to human.

However, I very much agree that it would be nice to be able to disengage Autosteer or NoAP while leaving TACC on continuously. The 1-tap/2-tap idea above, or touching the Autosteer icon or something easy.

Using the steering wheel works, but it terrifies the passengers at that jerky instant when Autosteer finally quits fighting you and yields control.

jasonelong | 2020年1月1日

I just got my model 3 with FSD and on the first try using navigate on autopilot at the onramp to a highway, but it didn't merge left into the highway. Being the California highway experience the lane turned into an exit about 500 meters down and I fully expected it to merge itself into traffic but didn't. At the last minute, I had to jerk the wheel away from autopilot to avoid an early exit and we swerved (and scared my spouse) because of the amount I had to pull the wheel. I agree that this feels 'clunky'

1) Is there a way to set lane changes so I do not have to confirm them with the turn signal?

2) If so, could this be the problem?

3) What else could help with this problem when I don't know if it's going to merge or not? Should I wait to engage Autopilot or is this something I will get better at as I use it more?

EVRider | 2020年1月1日

@jasonelong: Under Controls > Autopilot, you can use Customize Navigate on Autopilot to allow NoA to change lanes without your confirmation. Given your experience, you should think about whether you really want to do that (I still confirm NoA lane changes).

I've noticed that even when confirmation is required, NoA will sometimes take exits without confirmation if you're in the right lane. Not sure if that's related to your issue.

Whether or not you use lane change confirmations, NoA shows you where it's going and when it's going to change lanes.