Forums

Feature Req - Setting Speed BEFORE Engaging TACC or EAP

Feature Req - Setting Speed BEFORE Engaging TACC or EAP

Often TACC/EAP doesn't detect the correct speed limit and will assume a speed with the driver profile's optional preferred +/-. As an example, on my rural, 1/4 mile driveway, my Model 3 will show 50 mph (i.e., 45+5 mph) in gray. This can not be changed until after TACC or EAP is engaged. When selected, the car immediately accelerates to 50 mph and the driver must quickly flick the right thumb wheel 6+ times to bring the car back to a safe speed. This is an extreme example - but goes to the point that there are many situations where the assumed speed is faster than reasonable and awkward to control. In our town there are many residential and commercial areas with 25 mph speed limits that TACC/EAP assumes to be 35 or 45 mph. It would be safer and more convenient if that grayed out speed remained always adjustable via the right scroll wheel. The driver can then choose to engage the proposed speed - or select a suitable speed before engaging to avoid those panicky post-engagement adjustments.

Is there an official way to submit a Feature or Change request? I've sent emails to Support but only get canned acknowledgments.

mem10123 | 2019年11月19日

I’d like this too! It shows the speed it WILL set, let us use the thumb wheel to change that (just like we do when it is engaged)

gadget63 | 2019年11月19日

i'd like to see an actual resume

vmulla | 2019年11月19日

Sounds complicated to me :( Tesla doesn't do complicated UI.
Please share your scenario and what you're solution would be - help me visualize your idea.
And... Submit a bug report to correct the speed, that's the correct approach :)

FISHEV | 2019年11月19日

When engaging the adaptive cruise it should engage at the speed the car is going and then the driver adjusts if necessary. That’s all that is necessary. The car trying to impose some other speed is dangerous and provides no useful function.

Full Self Driving needs the car to determine the speed limit but unless FSD is engaged in some way it interferes with basic adaptive cruise.

howard | 2019年11月19日

mikeband1, TACC unlike other cruise or adaptive cruise systems that I have used does not lock at the speed you are traveling when engaged. It does as you describe set a speed typically above the engagement speed. I tried enabling TACC in my neighborhood the other day maintaining a speed of 30 and it did indeed jump to 50. I believe it did this because it does not know it is a relatively new 30mph neighboorhood. Coming out of DIA Monday I set it traveling 65 and it jumped to 75 which is 10 over.

Tesla, TACC should always set the speed to speed the car is traveling at the time of engagement. The driver can then adjust up if desired.

dean.stewart | 2019年11月20日

I would really like a way to just set cruise control and have it continue the speed you are doing without second guessing me all the time. I struggle with these same issues, especially in roadworks zones, but also with the car phantom braking all the time.

I’ve given up using cruise control as it’s unpleasant and dangerous. This is the first time in over 30 years that I’ve had a car that I don’t use cruise control on. And I know this will cost me in speeding tickets now!

MrSexyTime | 2019年11月20日

If I take a left into my development (22mph speed limit, with signs), the car's setting is 54mpg. If a right turn, there's nothing, so I can engage at as low as 18mph. I've submitted multiple bug reports. This has gone on since I got the car last December. I did notice some resume like activity last night. I was set at 62. Stopped at a light, and when reengaging, it went to 62 again. I'm using hold mode. So, I guess I'm set to semi random speed stick mode.

EVRider | 2019年11月20日

I agree that engaging TACC or AP should maintain your current speed, as it does if you’re already exceeding the speed limit. I might be mistaken, but I thought it used to work that way in my old Model S at some point in time, but I’m usually on the highway going above the speed limit when I engage AP so I’m not sure.