Forums

Do you think they can really build the Cyber truck? At that price?

Do you think they can really build the Cyber truck? At that price?

How can they build a stainless steel truck for the same cost as the Model 3? Can they build a stainless steel truck at all? The last company to try that was DeLorean, they weren't able to do it so they switched to a brushed aluminum finish. Is anything the size of a truck built out of stainless steel in a volume product? If they can really build this at the price they claim it's a true game changer. I hate trucks but this is so different I could see trading in my Model 3 on one.

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi | 2019年11月22日

Yeah, when I see 39k I add at least 5 k to that price. Remember 35 k Model 3? Yeap

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年11月22日

Delorean was stainless steel and it was brushed stainless.

Tesla has no clue what they are doing, bankwupt soon (rolleyes).

Bighorn | 2019年11月22日

They build rockets out of this. SpaceX synergy strikes again.

hokiegir1 | 2019年11月22日

This article actually explains why it's easier/cheaper to do what they have done with it:
https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-cybertruck-pricing-start-39995?fbc...

andy.connor.e | 2019年11月22日

Elon has a hard-on for Stainless Steel. Yes i think they can build it that cheap for the simple fact that they are using Stainless Steel, and look at how simple the design is. Its flat panels with straight line bends. Theres no aerodynamic curves like Model 3, S, X. Full confidence in the proposed price points.

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi | 2019年11月22日

It just hit me. What if Elon made this truck to genuine pig it on us just before they send one to Mars. Just like he is doing it with FSD program. I know, I know, I like Sci-fi lil too much :)

Effopec | 2019年11月22日

Never mind the body, I am wondering how they will build a 500 mile 3 motor Plaid truck for $70k. That seems way too cheap with everything that goes into it.

They can afford to sell it at that price probably because the manufacturing cost is significantly lower. There is no paint shop required. Tesla cars spend 1-2 days in painting. We also do not know what the battery size is. Also please remember that Tesla is continuously reducing costs in every avenue.

bjrosen | 2019年11月22日

Effopec@ $20K for an extra motor and battery pack is the one thing that seems reasonable about this to me. In addition to the stainless steel body there is an variable air suspension which the Model 3 doesn't have and yet the price for the RWD and the AWD are the same as the Model 3. Tesla motors cost $750 and my guess is a second battery pack costs them $10K so the $20K up charge seems reasonable.

The one factor that could make this all possible is that the are assuming significantly cheaper batteries. The base truck is two years away and the Plaid truck is three years away, so there could be a significantly better battery, Maxwell perhaps?

sbeggs | 2019年11月22日

@andy.connor.e,
That's a really good point about paint. Now, no more rejecting at delivery because of paint drips or flaws!

Ya dude its so easy to make. The cost for Tesla is not just the cost of parts. If they can bring the cost down significantly by sacrificing some "sexy exterior design feel", then ill take it. My time and money is worth that. If i did not care about money all that much, i would buy Model S or roadster. Trucks are utility, and this will be pretty sick.

vishious911 | 2019年11月22日

They might be able to make it at that price depending on how complex it is to build one.
(More trucks they can roll off the plant in a given time period, more cost effective it is to build them) <-- Good that they're learning lessons from Model X and Model 3.

^ Just my own perception. Could be 100% wrong

SamO | 2019年11月22日

@WhiteWi,

I own a $35,000 Model 3. What was your point again?

quinney | 2019年11月22日

If people don't like the unpainted look, installing wraps should also be much easier on all the flat planes of the body.

vmulla | 2019年11月22日

I expect options on the truck to drive up the price point - the bare bones version might be scraping it close with profitability.

Bighorn | 2019年11月22日

The paint nazis brought this on themselves. Elon probably just said eff it to all their whining—stainless, it is.

-TheJohn- | 2019年11月22日

That thing will look seriously cool with a black matte paint job/

SamO | 2019年11月22日

Stainless steel looks better powder coated.

gballant4570 | 2019年11月22日

Nominal increase of thickness of skin material increases skin structural integrity, and significantly reduces interior structural requirements, and perhaps weight. SpaceX is already producing this kind of steel panel, and Blade Runner/Star Wars exterior design reduces working requirements of said panels while aiming directly at aerodynamics/efficiency. Elimination of space and time requirements for painting is a significant reduction in production time.

Key here is no legacy car company baggage, under the load of which all these key cost savers wouldn't have made it out of the initial brainstorming session.
Meanwhile other EV truck companies with struggle to get even close to their projected stats like range & efficiency without significant battery size/price increases.

Magic 8 Ball | 2019年11月23日

Stainless can also polish to a mirror finish ; ).

nwfan | 2019年11月23日

I expect major battery breakthrough coming from Tesla. Can’t see how this price point is reached without it. Watch the next investor meeting.

walnotr | 2019年11月23日

The big savings come in the form of tooling cost. Straight line, flat panels are far less expensive to produce than compound curves produced with multi stage stamping dies.

vmulla | 2019年11月23日

@waltnor,
That alone can't account for tens of thousands of dollars in savings.

I'm unable to reconcile the cost of this vehicle when I compare it to 3 or Y

Hal Fisher | 2019年11月23日

Realize it will get the next generation battery. It will look pretty cool wrapped so there’s your $5k more but in aftermarket cost.

Hal Fisher | 2019年11月23日

Oh, sorry nwfan, didn’t mean to repeat but didn’t see your post till after.

coselectric | 2019年11月23日

A Wired article this morning touches on the topic of cost briefly. From Raphael Zammit, head of the MFA Transportation Design program at the College for Creative Studies in Detroit:

"By being philosophically so pure and so functional, Tesla has completely eliminated a very large part of what is the traditional automotive assembly,” he says. The company might cut down on expensive tool and die costs by keeping all elements of the car flat, straight, and, frankly, a little weird looking. “Musk might be pulling off one of the most brilliant moves in automotive history,” he says.

https://www.wired.com/story/why-tesla-cybertruck-looks-weird/amp

billtphotoman | 2019年11月23日

I am with @nwfan and @Hal - I think this points to a big battery pack cost breakthrough and that is very good news for Tesla overall. Even if the Cybertruck doesn't sell well (and I won't even speculate on that) a big battery cost reduction would really help margins on the model 3 and Y both of which _will_ sell well.

gballant4570 | 2019年11月23日

No battery breakthrough required. I also hope for some battery improvement in the next few years, but none is required for Tesla to make this price point. They are simply leveraging what they already have - not just in battery tech, but in SpaceX synergy, aerodynamics, and vertical integrated design.

Using SS was not the reason DeLorean did not last long. In the case of the Cybertruck, use of SS is a price reducer, not a price adder. I'll quote part of my post on another thread:

"The exterior design is aimed directly at aerodynamics, lower price point, and efficiency. Interesting choices - the same SS skin as SpaceX is producing. No paint shops or drying time. Moderate increase in exterior SS thickness results in significant reduction of interior structural requirements, lowering cost and perhaps weight."

There have been several analysis article today making the same judgments.

Madatgascar | 2019年11月23日

The most important assumption in developing the price is the number of units you project to sell. A $40k price probably assumes you are amortizing the costs over Model 3 type volume. Tesla is vulnerable here: they could get hundreds of thousands of reservations from their base (since it only takes a refundable $100 deposit and there are many rabid fans), build a factory for it, and later find out the actual conversion rate is fairly low. I thought about doing this myself, then realized it would be better for Tesla if I didn’t add to a false sense of demand.

Madatgascar - False? Not you..... and the truth is right about now support means more. If you pre-order today, you've got a good 2 years or perhaps a bit more to get used to the idea, and really commit to it. That process took about 38 hours in my case.

Slonkis | 2019年11月23日

Apparently Elon Musk employs not only John Galt, but also Hank Rearden. Good for him.

Madatgascar | 2019年11月23日

@gballant, that’s great if you really think you might go through with it. If it was just a matter of getting used to the design, I would do it too. There really is no prospect for me - it would not fit my garage, and I don’t really need it except for my occasional errands in the bad part of LA (in which case, protection from 9mm small arms fire wouldn’t cut it anyway).

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi | 2019年11月23日

Never parked my truck in garage. It's a Truck hellooo

kevin_rf | 2019年11月23日

Well then, that's a deal breaker for me, my HPWC is inside the garage. If I can't fit it into the garage, I can't charge it.

With out charging, it's just a very expensive DeLorean.

Varricks | 2019年11月24日

People seem to speak of the CT, and Rivian, and the eF-150 and all the rest of the electric vehicles as though they were on the showroom floor. The closest one was supposed to be the Rivian, and I doubt it'll make its intended debut date . These vehicles are at least two years out, and just the batteries will be different by then.

Take a breath and see what really shows up, and from whom.

Odd that no one mentions that the Bollinger is no beauty queen, and stupid expensive to boot . But again, still in concept phase.

PXPX | 2019年11月28日

Does CyberTruck second seats removable? Or can it be something like magic seats similar like Honda has? Can cabin wall behind the second seats open to the truck bed in camper mode?

lbowroom | 2019年11月28日

If I can't fit it into the garage, I can't charge it.

Same size constraints as an F150. Fits in a standard garage

TeslaTap.com | 2019年11月28日

@PXPX - Doesn't appear the seats are easily removable, other than removing bolts. The cabin does not open into the bed, and the way the electric be cover works, I expect you can't have both features.

gballant4570 | 2019年11月28日

PXPX, in another thread you stated that the Cybertruck is no good, and claimed you got your "mode 3" reservation refunded in 2016, and would never buy a Tesla. What are you doing still hanging around?

ReD eXiLe ms us | 2019年11月29日

bjrosen inqired, "Do you think they can really build the Cyber truck?"

I believe so. It won't be hard at all. Check the recent video by Jack Rickard to find out why...

EVTV on Tesla Cybertruck Unveil Wardrobe Malfunction (1:43:14)
https://youtu.be/4qgO3A2pUr8

bjrosen continued, "At that price?"

Absolutely, no problem at all. Please, stop judging the potential for Tesla's success as measured against the failures of the traditional conventional legacy ICE automobile manufacturers in Detroit and elsewhere.

FYI...? I have not read the Initial Post, or any other contributions to this thread. I sought only to answer the questions posed in the rather click-baity title in a quick & dirty fashion. Since so many here proclaim my posts tend to be off-topic and do not have a point, I got directly to the point of the subject put forth. You're welcome. Though I'll surely return with a full, detailed reply, to your certain dismay.

noleaf4me | 2019年11月29日

I'm guessing there will be some significant "add-on's" and that the average selling rice should be $5-10k higher than the list price at that level.

WantMY | 2019年11月29日

it is almost 3 yers away, so battery prices would drop and other components would cost less. The big difference with Model 3 pre-orders - you select specific trim with price tag and feature specs attached to it. So yeas, the price looks like undervalued, but in 3 years - it would be the right prices for EVs.

SamO | 2019年11月29日

End of 2021 is three years away? That is some serious troll maths.

WantMY | 2019年11月29日

"Production is expected to begin on the $69,900 tri-motor option in late 2022". I do not mind to get my AWD sooner, lol

WantMY | 2019年11月29日

Besides, they are going to make ~50,000/year, so wait time could be long even if you reserved now.

Bighorn | 2019年11月29日

So if demand is 250k s year, they’re only going to fulfill 20% of the market? Yeah, no.

WantMY | 2019年11月29日

That is the info available for public at this point, so getting it earlier would be good news for me, but I am not making any bets on it.

-TheJohn- | 2019年11月29日

WantMY is another of the known trolls paid or not who lurk here. You should not give them your time or consider their words as having any validity.
Thanks!

gballant4570 | 2019年11月29日

That is why I put the user on ignore at least a year ago.

Pages