Forums

My Model was caught in a hailstorm last night

My Model was caught in a hailstorm last night

Unfortunately, my current home has just coverage for a single car, and my wife's Subaru Crosstrek gets that nice next-to-the-door, free from snow position. Seeing that I'm in Missouri, I had actually created a kind of "tent" that I could drag over the car in an emergency. But what I wasn't anticipating was a massive severe storm system that came tearing through at 60mph at the end of November. Considering that just two days before, a tornado whipped by just a few miles to the south, I might have realized that this was going to be an usual late fall, but ...

Anyway, at around 10PM last night the system came howling through, bringing first dime, then nickel, and finally a pounding downpour of quarter-sized hail that beat the roof off the house (leaks all over the place) and pounded the pour Model 3 for what seemed like an hour, but was probably more like ten minutes. By the time the storm was past, the car was up to its aero hubcaps in hailstones. I couldn't get a good look at it in the rain, lightning, and darkness that followed. I went to bed convinced that it was going to look like a soggy waffle when I got up.

And ... it's fine. There may be some minor dents, but if so, they're hard to see until I get some better light. Overall, it seems to have escaped more or less unscathed. Caught in a similar storm a few years ago, we had a Chevy Volt and a Subaru Outback both take serious, thousands of dollars at the body shop, dents. But the Model 3 appears to have shrugged it off.

At first glance, I'm putting that down to a couple of things. First: the glass roof. I'm sure that had the hail progressed to golf-ball sized, I might have had a repeat of the Cybertruck demo, but hail of this size literally bounced away without harm. Second, the rest of the car offers few big unsupported flat surfaces that present are easy to dent. Even the hood is a series of curves rather than a nearly flat expanse.

I wouldn't repeat this experiment on purpose, but the score appears to be Model 3: 1, Hailstorm: 0.

gballant4570 | 2019年11月30日

I was driving my Model 3 last summer when I got caught in a hailstorm. Sounds like the one you experienced was a little worse, but the one I was in seemed nearly as bad as most any I'd seen - I'm gonna say nickel sized hail, and thick as hell. I tried to get away from it, and it took a while, but I found a canopy to get under until it passed. My car was probably exposed to the heaviest of it for about 10 minutes.

I really thought I would see SOMETHING on the outside of the car as a result, but never found a thing. Apparently came through unscathed.

Bighorn | 2019年11月30日

I saw a year old 3 that looked like a golf ball from a hail storm in Denver. Glass does reduce surface area of damage though

gballant4570 | 2019年11月30日

I was in a hail storm ~10 years ago that had stones the size of chicken eggs, but they were not falling all that thick, but thick enough.... They did put dents in car sheet metal though, and scared/beat the devil out of cyclists, pedestrians, etc..... of which there were many. That hail storm was in New Delhi India....

Those were also the largest hailstones I've experienced. I am certainly glad my Model 3 wasn't in that one.

Gofins13 | 2019年11月30日

Thanks for this post. Has reduced my hail anxiety level to
a (7). Down from a (11).