Forums

Does anybody like this new, jerky lane-changing? edit: Violates California Vehicle Code; please fix!

Does anybody like this new, jerky lane-changing? edit: Violates California Vehicle Code; please fix!

I don't. I'm grabbing the wheel and doing lane changes myself mostly now, or just turning off AP. I think this new lane change program is jerky, uncomfortable, and dangerous. Even though it happens when the adjacent lane is clear, that doesn't mean there isn't a car in the next lane over with the same plan for that open lane-space.

This abrupt, fast, jerky lane change without any signal before it starts has put me on a collision course with someone moving into the same lane-space a couple times already to where I just grabbed the wheel because I wasn't willing to take the risk to see if Tesla would avoid the collision.

Got an update today that didn't improve it. Hope this is changed soon.

edit: California Vehicle Code requires signaling for 100 feet prior to any turn or lane change, which this update clearly does not do.

EVRider | 2019年12月13日

Flagged Mr. Burger King.

@nuke: Which version introduced the problem? Does it affect both auto lane change and NoA or just NoA? What is your lane change “aggressiveness” set to?

nukequazar | 2019年12月13日

Mr. Burger King?

For me it was 2019.40.1.1

It’s any lane change whether initiated manually while on AP or NoAP, or initiated by the car. Aggressiveness does vary but seems to be worst when the target lane is already clear when the change is requested.

jimglas | 2019年12月13日

@nuke: There was a spam BK link that his since been poofed

nukequazar | 2019年12月13日

Nice. I guess I was sleeping.

nukequazar | 2019年12月13日

@EVRider, my lane change is set to Mad Max but I tried changing it. I think that only affects how aggressively it suggests speed-based changes not the aggressiveness of the move itself.

NKYTA | 2019年12月13日

Incorrect.

Boonedocks | 2019年12月13日

@Nukequazar you are correct. Settings will have you changing lanes like a crazy guy down to hardly any lane changes at all. Not how it actually carries out the lane change.

GHammer | 2019年12月13日

Love it, much better than the lazy lane change.

Daisy the Road ... | 2019年12月13日

No jerky changes that I have seen. It does however do lane changes rather than hesitating until the opportunity is gone.

nukequazar | 2019年12月13日

I like that the decision-making is more aggressive but I don’t like that it starts moving with the first signal blink with no warning for other drivers, and it jerks into the lane like a 15-year-old just learning how to drive. It doesn’t do that every time but seems to do it in traffic when there is already a known clearing so it takes the opportunity and jumps.

nukequazar | 2019年12月13日

@NKYTA, incorrect? Boondocks agrees with documentation and my experience.

EVRider | 2019年12月13日

@nuke: I haven’t seen this issue with 40.1.1. Which AP computer do you have? I have HW2.5. I’m not currently using the Mad Max setting, but I thought with 40.1.1 that the Speed Based Lane Change setting actually controlled how aggressively the car would change lanes (even when using auto lane change). Check your release notes.

nukequazar | 2019年12月13日

Release notes say nothing about speed-based lane changes. Just says “automatic lane changes will initiate faster and be more assertive.” But ought to still signal before making the move, and be smooth. The way it is now is uncomfortable for me, and a bit embarrassingly abrupt/jerky.

jjs | 2019年12月13日

@nukequazar My experience is the same. It jerks. I do like the more decisive quicker lane change. I just wish it eased into the lane change a little more smoothly. On balance I will take the current method. Overall, for me, it is an improvement over the overly cautious, I'll change the lanes when I get around to it way it did it before.

Before it changed lanes like a teenager asked to clean up his/her room. Now it changes lanes like a caffeine infused, high strung teenager logging on to play fortnight.

I haven't observed that. Perhaps something unique about your situation.

jjs | 2019年12月13日

It might be the driving mode selected. I have, and have had "Mad Max" mode on since it was an option. My guess is that this jerky lane change may be limited to that mode. Check your driving mode and let us know what is selected.

Pungoteague_Dave | 2019年12月13日

This new, more aggressive steering feature came for me after the download two days ago. Very nice, much more "assured" and confident-feeling lane change. I like it. I also appreciate the other changes with this update especially that the car's TACC can now be "set" all the way down to 0 instead of the former limit of 18 mph. It is also supposed to have red light and stop sign awareness, but I've seen no evidence of that.

Down to 0!?!? Yay! That limit has irritated me from the start.

sentabo | 2019年12月13日

I have 40.1.1 and I am happy that the lane change feature finally is how it should be, at least for me. It was way too slow getting over before. Now it is more decisive. I have not experienced any jerkiness.

nukequazar | 2019年12月13日

I think it has to do with congestion. It’s jerkiest for me when in traffic but with an opening to change lanes. I am in a major city with traffic 24/7. How about you all? I notice that many of the people who are super happy and defensive about their Teslas tend to be in lower congestion areas. And most all of the crazy YouTubers showing how awesome AP is are in the Midwest with almost no traffic. Get in some traffic and it’s a different story.

nukequazar | 2019年12月13日

But either way I don’t know how anybody could be happy with this. It violates Driving 101 by not signaling before starting the lane change. Lane change starts the second the signal goes on. This is just bad/rude/dangerous driving.

jjs | 2019年12月13日

Mine always signals prior to lane change.

nukequazar | 2019年12月13日

If the lane is clear, and you initiate an auto lane change by signaling, the second you put the signal on the car initiates the lane change. There is no hesitation to let people see your intention for a few blinks first. That’s the point but I think it’s bad driving.

Anthony J. Parisio | 2019年12月14日

nukequazar,
I prefer this new quick move. The way is was took way to long. I felt that was dangerous. People on the East cost speed up if you don't switch lanes quickly.

bhanuk99 | 2019年12月14日

^ Agree 100%. Even on a bumper to bumper traffic on a foggy evening, cars cut-in quickly.

nukequazar | 2019年12月14日

Not sure about the East Coast but it actually violates California Vehicle Code which requires signaling 100 feet before any turn or lane change. AP also violates CVC when it abruptly slows down without warning.

Uncle George | 2019年12月14日

2019.40.1.1 is a buggy version for lane changes. I would definitely suggest updating to 2019.40.2.1. 2019.40.2.1 does not indicate Mad Max as the desired setting for the new lane changes. My car is set to Average.

@nukequazar. While it does technically violates driving 101, The major difference is that our cars use the cameras 24/7. Normal drivers change lanes without looking at their mirrors. Essentially our cars are now BMWs (Bad joke :) )

In MA, I've seen the "two second change". Blinker -> waits two seconds -> changes lanes.Again, our cars use the side cameras.

nukequazar | 2019年12月14日

@Uncle George, the two-second or 100-foot rule is not about our vision, it's about giving notice to other vehicles. And speak for yourself. I NEVER make a lane change without looking in my mirrors, both rear and side. Ah, maybe this why people are not bothered so much by these AP failures. People suck at driving, and are generally rude.

nukequazar | 2019年12月14日

@Uncle George, I do have 2019.40.2.1. It didn't change this problem. Also Mad Max is part of speed-based lane change decision feature. It is unrelated to the aggressiveness of the lane change once the lane change decision has been made.

EVRider | 2019年12月14日

@nuke: You didn’t read the entire release note for the new auto lane change behavior. Here’s the text:

“Automatic Lane Change Improvements

Automatic lane changes have been tuned to make lane changes with more confidence. When the adjacent lane is detected to be open, automatic lane changes will initiate faster and be more assertive.

To further increase assertiveness of lane changes, select MAD MAX for SPEED BASED LANE CHANGES by tapping Controls > Autopilot > CUSTOMIZE NAVIGATE ON AUTOPILOT.“

This says the lane changes will both “initiate faster and be more assertive,” so it does relate to the aggressiveness of the lane change.

nukequazar | 2019年12月14日

@EVRider, that’s definitely not in my onscreen release notes. I just checked again. Where do you see it?

Also that doesn’t make sense and I definitely would not want it to be that way. The lane change movement should not be associates with lane change decision.

Either way I don’t want my car changing lanes like a hyped-up 15-year-old without any driving skill is driving my car.

EVRider | 2019年12月15日

@nuke: Here’s a link to the release notes for 40.1.1 in a TMC thread: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/img_20191128_223144-jpg.482645

I just installed 40.2.1 in my wife’s Model 3 this morning, and the release note about improved lane changes only included the first paragraph from the photo (nothing about how to change the setting), so it might depend on which model you have.

Daisy the Road ... | 2019年12月15日

The blinker comes on, it waits the prescribed number of feet, then it changes lanes slightly quicker than before. I didn't see anything to get upset about. There is still a bug where it has difficulty smoothly choosing a newly created lane, especially on curves.
Ex: N.B. 280 between Edgewood and 92, when it's goal is the rightmost lane. It sees the new lane, starts to change, reconsiders, then turns again into the rightmost lane. No other traffic in play. Now that bug happens with harder jerks on the steering.

nukequazar | 2019年12月15日

@EVRider, I just looked back at screenshots I took after the two recent updates. The extra paragraph was there on 2019.40.1.1 then gone in 2019.40.2.1. I have a P100D with HW 2.5.

Darthamerica | 2019年12月15日

Nice car Nuke!

nukequazar | 2019年12月15日

Yes it’s great! Thanks. I’m a late comer but been wanting it for a long time. Waited for a number of reasons but finally jumped in.

EVRider | 2019年12月16日

@nuke: I wonder if the lane change behavior was actually modified between 40.1.1 and 40.2.1 or they just changed the documentation?

nukequazar | 2019年12月16日

Good question. I didn’t have 40.1.1 long enough to be sure about the difference. I’m still getting jerky lane changes some of the time.

Boonedocks | 2019年12月16日

I hope they don't change it myself. It was all but useless before in anything BUT being alone for at least a 1/4 mile in any direction. I am so happy they fixed the "brake checking" "feature" that it had previously where changing lanes in front of someone would immediately slow your car far absolutely no reason.

sentabo | 2019年12月16日

Agreed, Boonedocks. So much better now.

Pungoteague_Dave | 2019年12月16日

Chill nuke. It isn't hyped-up - it is simply changing lanes with confidence. If you don't like the new process, there's a tool to change it. Violates code? Please. Hyperbole. Yes, I drive in rural areas, but also teach at the JHU Carey Business School on Dupont Circle in DC - so the car sees plenty of stop-and-go driving in NY Ave - no place worse in my experience this side of Dar Es Salaam. AP has 99 problems but this ain't one. 8-)