Forums

Questions about MX windshield wipers & fluid in winter climate

Questions about MX windshield wipers & fluid in winter climate

Just took delivery of a new MX.

I live in a winter climate. The other day I was driving on the highway in snowy conditions. Dirt/ice/snow was getting on the windshield, and I tried using the wiper fluid to clear it. i noticed that the fluid does not spray onto the windshield as it does in every other car I have owned. It seems to spray out almost horizontally along the wipers themselves. Is this the expected behavior? At first, I thought that Tesla may have delivered the car to me with no wiper fluid. I checked the reservoir with a flashlight and couldn't see any fluid—at least it's not full to the level where I can see it in the neck of the reservoir.

Also, the wiper fluid didn't seem very effective. There were still streaks of ice/water on the windshield even after doing several cycles. I'm curious what kind of wiper fluid folks in winter climates are using? The user manual says not to use things like Rain-X or fluids that have bug repellent.

Thanks.

Uncle George | 2019年12月17日

I use any standard de-icer at AutoZone. The fluid itself is inside the wipers. there are two nozzles on each blade.

I usually have the heated windshield on first, then use the wiper fluid.

switters | 2019年12月17日

Thanks, that helps.

festgiven | 2019年12月19日

Uncle i justGot mine 3 weeks ago and I have the same issues. I just got it out the shop two days ago after so many issues and the wipers are one of my complaints. On the way home forte was on the wind shield I guess they were testing it out, wiperfluid low, SMH. On the way home They really needed some serious quality control.

festgiven | 2019年12月19日

Uncle i justGot mine 3 weeks ago and I have the same issues. I just got it out the shop two days ago after so many issues and the wipers are one of my complaints. On the way home forte was on the wind shield I guess they were testing it out, wiperfluid low, SMH. On the way home They really needed some serious quality control.

Uncle Paul | 2019年12月23日

Tesla is a California company. Perhaps they do not put alcohol in the initial fluid fill. Even in California most auto stores only carry 32º fluid. The alcohol degrades the wiper blades, so imagine they have their reasons not to have the antifreeze stuff.

It's an easy fix with a little denatured alcohol in the bottle, but should run the alcohol free mixture during the warmer months.

As Uncle Geroge notes above, no matter what the fluid, you should warm your windshield with defrosters before squirting on the fluid.

The perforated wiper blades are the latest technology for cleaning windscreens. No nozzle holes to be drilled into the hood, and more efficient application of the fluid. Not sure it works any better than the old ways, and you do not get the satisfaction of watching the squirt on the windshield, but several high end vehicles come with this system as well.