Forums

Just realized how bad the Taycan is for our Planet

Just realized how bad the Taycan is for our Planet

Tesla objective is to accelerate transition to sustainable transport and mass adoption of EVs by offering long range, affordable, performant cars.

Porsche objective is to provide customers with an outstanding engineered performance car to distinguish from the mass and make a statement about their wealth and appreciation of engineering. Porsche will not participate in mass adoption to EVs or transition to sustainable transportation because that it not their goal as shown with their lack of compromises between performance and range.

There is a problem with overt consumerism and production of useless waste with high carbon footprint in our neoliberal freemarket societies, Tesla is helping the problem by replacing ICE cars, Porsche is worsening the problem by adding cars in circulation without replacing customer’s current ICE cars which will still be required for long range purposes.

So, for every Taycan sold, we are adding the environmental cost of producing 93kwh of batteries without replacing any ICE car, just for the fun to drive a Porsche and the social status it represents.

At first I thought Taycan was a cool option for the 1% wealthiest who wanted to transition electric but nobody will ever own a Porsche Taycan as it’s sole car as it will not meet transportation minimum requirements for the targeted customers.

Taycan 201 miles EPA is not only a disaster in term of numbers, it is a disaster for this planet.

Tesla-David | 2019年12月26日

@Maxxer +1 Agree totally with your rant!

jimglas | 2019年12月26日

But it’s a turbo!

jordanrichard | 2019年12月26日

Nobody is buying a Taycan to replace a Chrysler minivan, Toyota RAV4, etc. If anything, the Taycan may replace a Panamera but there aren’t that many of those on the road anyways.

Mattski30 | 2019年12月27日

Agree with you in many ways, but will also play Devil's advocate.

Why is it ok for Tesla to offer performance options (ludicrous, speed boost, etc.) that are worse for the environment than more conservative options and not Porche?

Many Tesla and Porche owners have more than 1 car, with a decent % still owning an ICE. While a Taycan may not be their only vehicle, it may make their line-up include 1 less ICE.

How many Tesla owners emit less carbon than the average person on the planet?

patriciasnyder | 2019年12月27日

I bought my model 3 because it’s fun, not to save the planet. How many model 3 owners are in the world top 1 percent? Admit it, you are in the top one percent in the world to even be having this conversation.

BumblebeEV | 2019年12月27日

Just the fact you post on these forums is a bias towards the chance you are on the 1% because you have to have a Model 3 to post here

billtphotoman | 2019年12月27日

Any car that replaces ICE miles driven with EV miles driven is a good thing in my book. At least, unlike used older ICE vehicles, an old Taycan won't be spewing pollution when driven. Also, I agree with @Mattski30 that if Tesla was all about efficiency they wouldn't offer larger wheel and tire sizes. All Teslas would have wheels like a BMW I-3.

BumblebeEV | 2019年12月27日

And EVs adoption would be limited for « performance users » thus having less favorable world impact

andy.connor.e | 2019年12月27日

You think thats a waste. How about lamborghini?

Most luxury items are a waste, and people buy them because they have money to burn.

TabascoGuy | 2019年12月27日

@Maxxer, anyone can post on these forums. The only limitation is that you have to have owner status to create a thread.

jordanrichard | 2019年12月27日

Just exactly how is Ludicrous mode worse for the environment?

BumblebeEV | 2019年12月27日

Less range on a charge
More coal produced electricity consumed for each charge
Quicker rubber tire wear
More petrochemical materials needed

Of course, the impact is way less that Lamborghini to attract “plottes à char”

Bughattis, Ferraris, Lambos had their prime time during the apex of oil age, now we’re heading toward the sustainability age, and the Taycan doesn’t classify in that era, yet.

Mike83 | 2019年12月27日

I wonder why some corps and individuals wish to lie, cheat, steal and destroy the planet in the process. Perhaps it is just that Power Corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.
The truth will always come out and price to pay gains interest to pay.
Nice thread.

jordanrichard | 2019年12月28日

Maxxer, if one’s electricity isn’t generated by coal then no, more coal isn’t burned.

Earl and Nagin ... | 2019年12月28日

By creating a desirable car that is environmentally friendlier than the alternatives, the Taycan is a win environmentally. Even if it just kills the stigma that the ugly Prius, Bolt, Leaf, and i3 have created, it represents a positive step.
Sometimes 2nd and 3rd order improvements have value even if the 1st order ones don't do so much.
Besides, if a Taycan replaces the 911 that my doctor commutes with every day, its a direct, 1st order, win albeit small.

andy.connor.e | 2019年12月28日

I think it has everything to do with, do you want to work for another company and live on a budget your whole life, or do you want to have millions and millions of dollars and basically be free to use the earths resources however you want to.

TeslaTap.com | 2019年12月28日

@Earl - well stated. I'm actually happy the Taycan is available. There are so many vehicle variations that yet to have a suitable (or any) EV version. Now the Taycan has some issues, but so does every vehicle. That doesn't detract from the need for every automaker to have EVs if they wish to stay relevant this next decade. The first versions may not be ideal, but they will learn and get better.

Tropopause | 2019年12月28日

The shortcomings of the mighty Taycan prove Tesla’s BEV superiority, and further disprove the argument that Tesla killers are an easy task, thus $430 share price.

Earlier this year when Maxwell Tech was bought they already had some 23% more energy dense cells that were dry cells, and at that time already had plans for capability of around 500Wh/kg which is more than double what Teslas 2170 cells are ~230Wh/kg. I am anticipating some serious battery breakthrough at the battery investor day, and that might shed some light on how the cybertruck can achieve 500+ miles of range along with everything it has for the same price as the base Model S.

The dual motor version cybertruck is $2000 cheaper than the Dual Motor Model Y, and has more range. I am anticipating something great coming up this year.

BumblebeEV | 2019年12月28日

I wonder if the new cell tech will be incorporated in the Model Y or will make it’s first appearance only in the Cybertruck and Roadster 2.0

If they can fit the new cell tech into the same battery module footprint, i dont see why they would not upgrade the batteries. There have already been some who have found hints in the new code with reference to a 100kWh battery for Model 3.

BumblebeEV | 2019年12月28日

Yes, good point. I saw that hacked code released referring to the 100kwh capacity.
Just can’t get how they will managed to sell it for a lower price tag than the Model Y. I guess technology synergies pay in the long term

CT? Probably because there is no stamping required for the curvatures in the exterior. Its just bends which can probably be done faster and with less steps and parts. Not really sure though. Model Y is supposed to be starting early next year with the production ramp, and CT is still 2 years out which could be some anticipated technology improvement for the estimated range.

BumblebeEV | 2019年12月28日

See, hypothetical thinking is still fun even if we din’t Have all the info

Is that assuming?

No because you and i are not arguing that it WILL be a certain way. I look at it like we are going back and forth throwing ideas into a big pool of things to think about. Neither one of us are saying that it will or will not meet certain criteria, at least for me, because i dont have enough info about specific details. All i really know is what the interior and exterior look like, what the exterior is made of, and the estimated specs we were given.

BumblebeEV | 2019年12月28日

It would be nice if the Model Y gets the new cell technology
It will be a nice car
Assume makes an ass of u and me

Ya i dont see why it wouldnt. The cost per kWh is presumed to drop dramatically with the new dry cell tech from Maxwell, and since Tesla owns Maxwell, they can cut out yet another middle man, panasonic, and make their own batteries.