Forums

My Charging Habits

My Charging Habits

I own my Model 3 SR+ since October 17, 2019. I wanted to tell all of you about my charging habits. Let me know what you think.
I rarely charge at home because electrons are free at work.
I drive to work on Monday and plug in after a weekend of driving and not charging. I am usually around 50 percent. I have a 240v j1772 charger at work that is a bit quirky. It does not always get the car to 90 percent.
Drive home and plug in, but lower the charge in the car to below where my charge point is. Just to have the car Conditioned for Tuesday.
Then I follow the same routine all week. Rarely getting to 90 percent charge.
Slowly, day after day, it will get closer to 90 percent.
Example.
1. Monday start charging @50percent and go to 75
2. Tuesady start charging @60 and go to 80
3. Wed start back at 50 because I was out and about and get to 75.
4. Thurs start at 65 and charge to 85.
5. Friday start at 75 and charge to 90-100 percent.
6. Drive all weekend without charging and start all over Monday morning.

I obviously drive when I get home during the week. Errands abd stuff like taking the BOSS to the stores and stuff of that nature. Lol

Occasionally, I will let it charge to 100 percent on Friday at work, knowing that I will do extra driving over the weekend.

I will only charge on the weekends if needed.

Thoughts?

dave | 2019年12月27日

Looks good @pg3ibew. But I think you could easily stay within the oft-recommended 20-80% range.
After reading an article about optimum charging habits, I changed my charging limit from 90% to 80%, as that seems to be the best limit for long term battery health.
Charging to 100% should be done only when you start driving the car immediately after the full charge.
So if you are getting down to 50% after your 100% charge, I think it would be best to charge to 80%, which would get you down to 20% after a weekend of driving.

Pg3ibew | 2019年12月27日

@dave. Thanks for the advice. I am still learning. I dont always go to 100. Usually 90 is max for me.

andy.connor.e | 2019年12月27日

If you are home i dont see why not to just set charging limit to 80% and always plug in. Kind of makes it easy to not need to think about your charge level, unless you are going long distances.

stingray.don | 2019年12月27日

A wise man once said, “Just drive the damn car”. ;)

Seriously though, short charging cycles put less stress on the battery, which you are accomplishing with daily (or nearly) charging. I would not charge past 90% unless you need it for a trip, and then I would not allow the car to sit at that high state of charge.

Pg3ibew | 2019年12月27日

@stingray, LMAO. So true. I just want free electrons!!!!! Lmao.
@andy, I am cheap and want FREE ELECTRONS. lmao

stingray.don | 2019年12月27日

Can’t blame you. I wish I could charge for free at work!

Pg3ibew | 2019年12月27日

If I didnt have free electrons, I would do exactly as @andy said. Keep the car set to 80 percent and plug in every night. For the car to be ready for 520 am