Forums

What if they put a capacitor in the charger and in the car?

What if they put a capacitor in the charger and in the car?

Tesla buying Maxwell, a capacitor company made me think.

There are large, commercial capacitors that can charge and discharge very quickly. What if they put some in the car that could take a huge jolt of power, quickly, then slowly bleed it into the battery pack for longer term slow discharge. At the same time put a large capacitor in the charger that could transfer large amounts of power into the car. It could slowly accumulate that charge, and wait for a Tesla to plug in for a jolt.

The Tesla could grab a full capacitor of charge in just a few moments and be on it's way. Charge even faster than a gasser.

Might not need to be large enough to transfer a full battery capacity, but perhaps enough for a few hundred miles.

Maybe listening to the latest earnings call has just got me full of possibilities, but is it possible?...realistic?

Yodrak. | 2020年1月29日

Maxwell is involved in battery technology as well as ultra capacitors. The speculation that I've read in the press is that Tesla is primarily interested in Maxwell's work on electrode technology for batteries.

"Might not need to be large enough to transfer a full battery capacity, but perhaps enough for a few hundred miles."

Depending on how you define "a few", a few hundred miles is as large or larger than the full battery capacity of current Teslas.

NKYTA | 2020年1月29日

They bought smart people.
Like any tech company acquisition. Curious to learn what comes out of it...

David N | 2020年1月29日

There was all kinds of speculation concerning capacitors when they bought Maxwell.
Like NKYTA said above, they bought smart people.
Tesla (Elon) are years ahead of anyone else in Battery mgmt, and it’s use in electric motors. No other manufacturer is any where close to Tesla. Reason for this is Tesla has some of the best of the best engineers and Elon challenges them.
Wether capacitors come into the picture, we’ll have to wait and see.

TeslaTap.com | 2020年1月30日

Maxwell sold off the Ultracapacitior division before Tesla bought it. Seems Tesla doesn't see any value for Ultracapacitors in an EV, which I agree with. They are still expensive and consume a huge amount of volume for power density. Doubt many people are willing to pay $10K more, get zero trunk space to improve efficiency slightly. Ultracapacitors do make sense for some narrow needs, but so far, not in an EV.

Frank99 | 2020年1月30日

Unfortunately, a capacitor is much larger than a battery for storing the same amount of energy - roughly 100 times larger using current technology. They're great for doing things like regeneration, where you're storing a large amount of power over a short period of time, but not so good for storing battery-like amounts of energy.

Cybertruckee | 2020年1月30日

With the new acquisition,I hope Tesla will come up with flux capacitor soon!

blue adept | 2020年1月30日

@Cybertruckee

+1

andy.connor.e | 2020年1月30日

Maxwell had plans for a 500Wh/kg battery cell when they were bought by Tesla. Thats more than double Teslas batteries. They are dry cell, and do not have cobalt. Maybe thats how Tesla will be able to sell you a 500+ mile range cybertruck for less than the base model S.

Uncle Paul | 2020年1月30日

Knew you guys were the right ones to ask.