Forums

Solar panel to maintain Sentry mode and/or charge

Solar panel to maintain Sentry mode and/or charge

I am seeing solar panels available at Costco and wonder if anyone has a commercial solar panel working with their Tesla to put in their trunk and draw enough power daily to offset the 22mi of charge Sentry mode eats away when parked. I dont have a driveway and park at a mall so this would be very helpful to me.

lbowroom | 2020年3月9日

No

FISHEV | 2020年3月9日

Many of use wanted Tesla to have a solar roof option, similar to Prius. With Tesla in the PV glass biz it made perfect sense. You are correct it could offset the energy drain of Sentry mode or the heat/AC. I think estimate was about 100kWh a hear.

lbowroom | 2020年3月9日

Yes, everyone would like a solar panel on their roof that would charge the car. Unfortunately current technology doesn’t do it. A mr fusion would be even better. I saw a prototype like 30 years ago, wonder why it hasn’t been implemented.

Frank99 | 2020年3月9日

Given a choice between believing our resident troll, or Elon Musk, I'm leaning towards Elon:
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/28/teslas-musk-rejects-solar-on-cars-its-no...

gmr6415 | 2020年3月10日

"Given a choice between believing our resident troll, or Elon Musk, I'm leaning towards Elon:"

But they did state it may be an option on the cyber truck.

AWDTesla | 2020年3月10日

Yup, Elon said that about the cybertruck. WHO TO BELEIVE?

FISHEV | 2020年3月10日

Solar PV glass on Tesla, or any car, would work great. It’s just a Musk thing about the solar roof which makes total sense in a EV with it’s various power drains. Advocates of it showed the numbers to Musk but if he doesn’t like it, you don’t get it. Why you get Karaoke but not actual AWD, no CCS adapter, no towing. Musk’s makes a pitch for more expensive less efficient solar roof tiles why making opposite pitch for no putting solar PV roof on Tesla or offering it as an option. Be easy as an option.

The calcs at the time were 1 sq foot of solar PV glass would provide 30kWh a year. 10-15 square feet for current non-solar glass so 300kWh to 450kWh a year was potential with the 100kWh a year as minimal base.

Even with the lowest number of 100kWh, other benefits would be keeping the car cooler in summer lowering the car’s energy usage.

Especially useful in cold, sunny days in the parking lot of ski resort, could keep battery.

FISHEV | 2020年3月10日

It worked great in the Prius which had a very small panel but used it smartly to keep car ventilated in summer.

lbowroom | 2020年3月10日

Please, do more math for us

andy.connor.e | 2020年3月10日

Its not a thing.

But the Cybertruck will have a solar panel trunk cover, so that could offset the BMS system in winter.

gmr6415 | 2020年3月10日

@FISHEV, All the negativity about Musk's preferences, yet you fail to give him credit where he has taken the EV as a whole and built one of the best cars in the world in 15 years. I'm sure there are many features and specifics about Teslas that may be Musk musts that most of us like and don't realize what it took to get those features and specifics.

It's only my opinion, but I seriously think the other manufacturers around the world wouldn't be seriously looking at EVs if it were not for the success of Tesla and the pressures Tesla has put on the market. In other words most likely no MUSTANG MACH-E if it were not for Musk/Tesla.

After all it's Tesla most if not all of them use as their standard to meet or beat.

BTW, It's Caraoke, and no I've never used it and really don't care that it's there. It's a quirk and there are lots of them, but so what. I've never once used the "bed light" in my 1997 Dakota either and no one has ever sat in the rear seat of the "crew cab" because it's too small for any adult to sit in.

FISHEV | 2020年3月10日

"All the negativity about Musk's preferences"

Musk's bias against a solar roof on a EV with the mission to build sustainable transportation has always been a contradiction. Even more so since Tesla acquired the solar glass mfg.

Say it is the lowest estimate of 100kWh a year per owner, that 15GW of solar power per year would be 33,150,000,000 pounds of CO2 produced by coal to supply the power of 500,000 solar roofed Teslas.

Greta would say "DO IT ELON"

andy.connor.e | 2020年3月10日

This has been addressed already. The cost to put a solar panel on top of the car would not output enough energy to make it worth the engineering and extra cost to the vehicle. Its some 15W/ft^2 that a solar panel can generate, so if you take an 18x9 parking space, you're getting about 2.5kW maximum if you were to take up the entire parking spot. 2kW charging is insignificant, and thats the entire spot. So you can divide that by easily 8, because the roof of the car is a small portion of the vehicle, since there is front and rear glass. Maybe you could get 500-700W? That will give you about 2-3 miles per hour if you have sufficient sunlight.

Joshan | 2020年3月10日

First Fish knows Electric Cars better than the engineers.

Now Fish knows solar better than engineers.

Reminds me of someone who said they know ISIS better than the generals, they know intelligence better than the FBI and they know Coronavirus better than the doctors.

Narcissism is not a good thing...

gmr6415 | 2020年3月10日

@FISHEV, Again where is the credit for the lessoning of the CO2 produced by putting 1 million EVs on the road replacing 1 million ICEs on the road?

You continue with your myopic view.

WW_spb | 2020年3月10日

Clearly Fish is fake green activist.

WEST TEX EV | 2020年3月13日

If 100kWh/yr correct:
That’s 0.3 kWh/day
= 300 Wh/day
= 1 mi range

I agree with Elon

stingray.don | 2020年3月13日

The existing design also takes advantage of passive solar with the glass roof design. Even during cold weather, when the sun is out the cabin is much warmer than it otherwise would be. This reduces the use of the heater which is a big power draw. Granted, it might be a disadvantage in the summer, but the AC uses far less energy compared to the heater. Also, one could install shades in the summer.

FISHEV | 2020年3月13日

"The existing design also takes advantage of passive solar with the glass roof design."

Don't think "passive solar" is what people are looking for when the car gets hot due to all glass roof. On the other hand, a black roof would save on AC while pumping 10 miles a day of power into the car.

The Ford Mach-E has chromatic glass roof that darkens with the sun.

jallred | 2020年3月13日

The Ford Mach-E has chromatic glass roof that darkens with the sun.-jack

Nice. How much weight will it hold before collapsing? Extra cost? Any extra safety issues in a crash?

I’m not sure chromatic is the right word, btw.

andy.connor.e | 2020年3月13日

10 miles per day is not worth the extra cost added to the vehicle. we are talking about 2-3kWh. or 33 cents where i live.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 2020年3月13日

@bigmouthb ass
“ Say it is the lowest estimate of 100kWh a year per owner, that 15GW of solar power per year”

100kWh/yr, assuming 12 productive hours per day (which is unlikely most parts of the planet), that’s more like .0000000228GW of solar power. But nice try, you’re only off by a factor of 657 quadrillion.

FISHEV | 2020年3月13日

" How much weight..."

As much as Tesla Y glass roof.

"will it hold before collapsing?"

Same as Tesla Y roof.

"Extra cost?"

Part of the price.

"Any extra safety issues in a crash?"

Same as Model Y.

lbowroom | 2020年3月13日

Makes enough power to keep a phone topped up, great idea.

jallred | 2020年3月13日

I doubt very much it will hold as much weight as a 3 or a y. We will see.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 2020年3月14日

@blowfish "Say it is the lowest estimate of 100kWh a year per owner, that 15GW of solar power per year would"

Let's look at this a different way. How many owners producing solar power at a rate of 100kWh/year would it take to generate 15GW?

The answer is: 1,314,000,000. I know Tesla has growth potential, but you are truly bullish.

FISHEV | 2020年3月14日

"The answer is: 1,314,000,000"

"Tesla, Elon Musk celebrate 1 millionth EV, a Model Y"

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/tesla-elon-musk-1-million-evs-built/

See how that works?

Yep. Only 1 billion three hundred thirteen million to go.

FISHEV | 2020年3月14日

Chuckle...you got it backwards.

1M Teslas with 100kWh of solar power = 1GWh = 1,000,000# of GHG. Entire reason for EV's is reduction of GHG.

FISHEV | 2020年3月14日

And the 100kWh per year is extreme low end. Like a solar home, the Tesla potential per the roof size is 300kWh.

I'm SHRINKING!!!

holy cannoli.

"1M Teslas with 100kWh of solar power = 1GWh"

Uh, no, that would be 100GWh. But you didn't say anything about GWh. You said 15GW. That takes 1.314 billion teslas.

This is like when, as mabuck, you claimed tesla lost 4 trillion dollars over the last four years. You don't understand orders of magnitude.

jallred | 2020年3月14日

Say it is the lowest estimate of 100kWh a year per owner, that 15GW of solar power per year -jack

Take your time and think through this.

100kWh is in units of energy.
15GW is in units of power.
15GW per year (the old GW/yr) makes absolutely no since. Energy is power multiplied by time, not divided by it.

jallred | 2020年3月14日

"1M Teslas with 100kWh of solar power = 1GWh" -jack

Just face it, you can't do math.

jallred | 2020年3月14日

And it is 100kWh of solar energy, not power.

I'm convinced that you will never understand the difference between energy and power.

FISHEV | 2020年3月14日

As I remember from the original solar roof conversations, the area that could be used for solar PV on the Tesla was conservatively 10 square feet. Using the average efficiency and solar energy of 121 kWh per square foot, the Tesla's yearly average out put would be 1,210 kWh.

"Over the course of a year, this will equate to your 3kw system providing a total output of around 121kwh per sq. ft., or a total of 2,550kwh."

FISHEV | 2020年3月14日

"Just face it, you can't do math."

Good thing we have you here. Now based on the 10 square foot of PV area on roof, how much would a Tesla generate in a year using these base numbers, the 121kWh per sq. foot?

https://www.renewableenergyhub.co.uk/main/solar-panels/solar-panel-power...

Let's play the "show your work" game for 4th-grade-flounder:

(100 kWh/year) * (1.142E-04 years/hour) = 1.142E-02 kW
(1.142E-02) kW * (1.000E-06 GW/kW) = 1.142E-08GW.
That's how much power a single owner who generates 100kWh/year produces.
(15GW) / (1.142E-08GW/owner) = 1,314,000,000 owners needed to produce 15GW.

Magic 8 Ball | 2020年3月14日

Funny, trying to use flat panel numbers for an integrated curved roof panel on a car.

FISHEV | 2020年3月14日

"Funny, trying to use flat panel numbers for an integrated curved roof panel on a car."

Curved roof would capture more over a day than flat unless the flat could move. I've got flat's on my roof, neighbor has large solar following setup.

jallred | 2020年3月14日

Good thing we have you here. Now based on the 10 square foot of PV area on roof, how much would a Tesla generate in a year using these base numbers, the 121kWh per sq. foot? -jack

How much of what? Notice that since you can't tell the difference and don't want to say the wrong thing, you just leave it out.

Magic 8 Ball | 2020年3月14日

Solar following setup still uses flat panels. You clearly do not understand PV architecture and what the difference is between a flat panel is and one that can conform to compound curved surface. Just stop.

FISHEV | 2020年3月14日

"How much of what?"

If Tesla roof available for PV is 10 sq feet and 121kWh per year per square foot is average, how much energy would 1,000,000 Teslas with Tesla solar PV glass save in a year.

https://www.renewableenergyhub.co.uk/main/solar-panels/solar-panel-power...

lbowroom | 2020年3月14日

Enough to charge everyone phone a few times?

4,128,691,375,696 ISO BTUs.

lbowroom | March 14, 2020
“Enough to charge everyone phone a few times?”

Well, more than that. But fishdick’s premise is that
1. All cars in the tesla fleet have solar arrays and,
2. They capture and use all of it.

Even if 1 were true, 2 would require magic intervention.

I also note it’s portrayed as tesla doing something wrong by not offering an expensive and marginally-useful option, but all the other EV makers get off without the implicit criticism.

lbowroom | 2020年3月14日

Yes, sometimes I combat absurd notions with equally absurd ones. Well, not exactly equally. I wonder how much solar fish is pumping into his Tesla at home now?

lbow,
Yah I get you. I’m still laughing about slippery dick’s* overt math errors herein. Usually he spreads them across posts for what he portrays as plausible deniability.

* Halichoeres bivittatus is a fish species with the aforementioned common name.

lbowroom | 2020年3月14日

kWh/h

Watt?

ReD eXiLe ms us | 2020年3月15日

How many times must we write, "You don't understand..." [a single solitary thing to do with numbers, arithmetic, science, or facts] when conversing with, or speeking of FEESHICE...?

Pages