Forums

Anyone know how to get the vehicle to finish a software download?

Anyone know how to get the vehicle to finish a software download?

I picked up my car from the service center yesterday after the HW3 retrofit.

I think the service center gave the car back to me before a software update download was completed. When I got home, I noticed this issue and hooked my vehicle back up to home internet which has a strong signal in my garage (Orbi mesh system).

Still, 24 hours later, the car is still indicating that the download is in progress. The interesting thing is that the progress shows on both the car UI and my phone app that the progress is 100%.

Anyone have an idea on how to fully complete the download so that the green arrow on the UI and my app doesn't display that it is still downloading?

I have turned the car off completely and also rebooted the UI by holding both buttons. Neither one worked.

The software version on my app and UI is shown as "2020.12 4fbcc4b942a8"

I do not know what my last version was, so I do not know if it changed due to the "pending" software download

EVRider | 2020年3月23日

2020.12 is the latest version, so you’re probably fine. Are you sure that the car isn’t downloading a map update rather than a software update?

RES IPSA | 2020年3月23日

Thanks for the response... My app states "Software Update" to the right of that arrow pointing down to the ___

and then below that it states "Downloading 2020.12 (100%)"

I do not know if it is a map update or not.

I may just drive over to the SC center today.

Joshan | 2020年3月23日

I think its a games update. I got that right after the HW3 upgrade.

RES IPSA | 2020年3月23日

When will the notification of a 100% download leave the car and my app? is it something I should get ignore and assume it will eventually disappear? Or it is a malfunction with the car?

Joshan | 2020年3月23日

hop into Tesla chat, they will clear the download and let it start again. I have done this in the past. This will not push you updates, but they will clear stuck ones.

Wilber | 2020年3月23日

When a download got stuck for me i made a service appt on the app mentioning that problem. a couple days later they phoned or texted back and said they just needed to redo the download. In fact they redid the download for me, so when i got the message back from them it had already been downloaded/fixed.

RES IPSA | 2020年3月23日

Thanks to all

RES IPSA | 2020年3月23日

I communicated on Chat and the Tesla employee fixed the issue quickly. Thanks for the suggestion Joshan

Joshan | 2020年3月23日

your welcome, glad I could help. Just to stress for anyone reading this. Chat will NOT push updates to your car. They will only clear stuck updates.

EVRider | 2020年3月23日

2020.12 is a software update, not a map or games update. It sounds like it was just a UI issue, because you said both the car and app were showing 2020.12 as the installed version. In any case, glad they were able to fix it for you.

Joshan | 2020年3月23日

@EVRider when I got HW3 i got 2020.8 and right after that it offered me a game update. That is why I mentioned that as a possibility. OP also stated he is already on 2020.12.

CoffeePowered | 2020年3月23日

What? 2020.12 already? I'm still at 2020.4 with no notification of an update being available.

Joshan | 2020年3月23日

all you can do is make sure you are set to advanced on the download options and stay on wifi as much as possible. Its the luck of the draw it seems.

jordanrichard | 2020年3月23日

A lot of people’s confusion is centered around a misunderstanding of terminology and to degree it’s Teslas fault for giving people what they wanted.....

In the past we never knew when an update was being downloaded. All we knew via a notification, was that an update was reading to be installed. However a bunch of people wanted to know the moment a new update was available to to be downloaded to their car. Presumably this way they could get to where there was Wi-Fi, to get it downloaded to the car ASAP. So now we get a notification of when an update is available to be downloaded and you get a status bar for that download and then a notification of when we can install it.

So what used to be a simple one step process, is now a two step process.

CUICE | 2020年3月23日

I had a similar-sounding problem a few weeks ago. I accidentally disconnected ethernet to the garage wifi while the car was (unknown to me) downloading an update. The download hung up, and remained hung even after reconnecting ethernet. Drove it to the local store. One of the salespeople got on the phone with Fremont (I think) and somebody there reset the car remotely. The car was already connected to their wifi anyway, and it resumed and finished the download while I hung out in the lounge. I drove home, started the install, and all was well. BTW, they told me that this could also be done with a service request on the app.

EVRider | 2020年3月24日

@jordanrichard: There’s no notification from the app when a software update is available for download. You’ll see a notification in the car, but only if you’re not connected to WiFi.

@Joshan: When they installed HW3 in our Model 3, they downgraded the firmware from 2020.8.1 to 2020.4. After I got home and on WiFi, I saw a game update downloading, but it happened automatically, there was nothing to confirm, so it wasn’t part of a software update. A couple of days later I got 2020.12.

Joshan | 2020年3月24日

weird I had to approve the game update, it was not automatic for me.

RES IPSA | 2020年3月24日

When I got my HW3 retrofit 3 days ago, I got a notification while the car was at the service center that an OTA update was available. Then a day later right before I got the text that the car ready for pickup, I got a notification that the update was started. I never started the update as I did not want to interfere with the retrofit. I guess they started that update at the service center. That update was 2020.12

EVRider | 2020年3月24日

@Joshan: Did you have to approve the game update, or just connect to WiFi so it could download?

@RES IPSA: For both my Model S and Model 3 HW3 upgrades, the service center installed updates that I was notified about by the mobile app. One of the Model S updates failed, according to the app. Unlike the Model 3, the Model S came home with the same firmware it went in with -- maybe they downgraded during the install and then reinstalled the newer one, but I don't know.

Joshan | 2020年3月24日

I did have to approve it, it was the first time I had ever seen that behavior, so I just chalked it up to the HW3 upgrade. Not sure why we would see different results.